SOTD #260/2021
28-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue TSN 2020 LE 3-band silvertip badger
Soap: Ariana and Evans ~ Spartacus
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Ariana and Evans ~ Spartacus ASL, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

2 days worth of growth - this is the perfect playground for the R41 (at least for my face). 2 efficient yet gentle passes. A BBS and silky soft skin was the result. On a side note, the Polsilver smoothed out beautifully, starting with shave 3.
I hope it maintains this level for a few more shaves.

Happy SOCTOBER!

Last night, I had shave #37 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made my best lather with it, yet.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After shaking my brush to remove some water, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for 40 seconds before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. This shave was smoother than my previous shave. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt no sting from the alum block. I did feel a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my fifth time using the VDH balm. Again, I used a little less than pea sized amount of the balm and got a better skin feel (i.e., less "heavy"/greasy) but still perspired a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 99/100.

43EEE393-760D-4E33-8657-0C90E99D56AF.jpeg

Ash Semogue SOC boar
TOBS Cedarwood cream
Razorock GC .84 razor
Medical Prep shave #5
Bigelow No. 047 Tonic
Dunhill Icon EDP spray

The boar is getting there. Holds plenty of lather and feels very nice. I do think it'll bloom even more and soften, based on others' experiences. I still really dig the smaller Semogue boars, but I'm glad to have gotten to know this one during October. It may get one more use on the 31st. Tomorrow the 2-band.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
10-30-21.ATT.CM1.SemogueLE3Band.Shannon'sNIL.640JPG.JPG

This is one of my best brush purchases. I'm not a huge fan of three band silvertips other than this one. It gives all my great two bands and Manchurians some real competition. Its softness as perfect but it also has the most delicious of scrubs. I'm so glad to have acquired it.

Thanks to all the enablers hanging out here I have on order from across the pond the SOC Taj finest. Just what I don't need is another two band, but you talked me into it. If you're interested in the SOC finest in butterscotch, check out Pasteur; good price.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last night, I had shave #38 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Grande in gold that I bought off the BST. The Grande was definitely lighter than the Piccolo and there is a distinct difference in how each balances and feels in the hand. While I prefer the overall dimensions of the Grande's handle, as of now, I prefer the Piccolo's balance.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After shaking my brush to remove some water, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for 40 seconds before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. My Grande had more blade feel and exposure than my Piccolo. Where with the Piccolo, the shaves had been smooth and I pretty much never felt the blade, with the Grande, I couldn't find an angle where I did not feel the blade. Still, I managed a BBS without cutting myself. That said, my previous shaves with the Piccolo felt better overall.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). As with my shaves with my Piccolo, I felt no sting from the alum block though I felt a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my sixth time using the VDH balm. Again, I used a little less than pea sized amount of the balm and got a better skin feel (i.e., less "heavy"/greasy) but still perspired a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 98.5/100.

6B9D7993-88D7-44FB-95D3-534AA3247B97.jpeg

20211030_113541-01.jpeg
SOTD #261/2021
31-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Taj
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Pharaoh's Dreamsiecle
Razor: Mühle R41 Twist
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Pharaoh's Dreamsiecle, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Today's shave marked the final shave of SOCTOBER 2021. Unfortunately I didn't manage to shave more days, but the shaves which took place were highly enjoyable. Every single time.

The SOC brush series is really a great value - with the Mistura being the star in the line up (imo).

I may take the opportunity to THANK YOU ALL for your contributions in course of SOCTOBER. Really enjoyed your reports and pictures.

Happy final shave of SOCTOBER!

Last edited:
Semogue SOC Ash boar
Taylor Cedarwood cream
RazoRock Gamechanger
Gillette Nacet DE blade*
C.O. Bigelow 047 Toner
Diptyque Tam Dao EDT

*first use; impressive sharpness

Great finish to SOCTober. At long last, I snapped a pic of the four brushes that have served me so well this past month.

Attachments

• D5DAD4EA-16F3-49E1-9E73-1B4A2948084E.jpeg
    D5DAD4EA-16F3-49E1-9E73-1B4A2948084E.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 7

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave with the Mistura completes my participation in Soctober 2021.

10-31-21.ATT-CR1.Mistura.SS-NIL.640.JPG

It was my first shave with the ATT CR1. Like the razor!

It was a far from first shave with the Mistura which is, as everyone knows by now, a wonderful brush. The kind of brush everyone should own and use in my view of it.

10-31-21.SOCtober.2021.640.JPG

My first SOC was the boar. I have off and on liked it better than I like it now, or worse maybe at times. I don't hate it but it's my least favorite of the boars I've kept.

The Semogue LE 3 band, while perhaps not an SOC brush as it's actually a limited edition unobtanium item, it a delight. It is my favorite three band even though I wish its knot were larger. (Same wish for the Mistura for the record.)

The finest isn't pictured because I don't own one, but, thanks to you gentlemen and your enabling ways, I have one, in the Taj handle, in transit.

It's been an enjoyable month with some of the best brushes on the planet.

Thanks again for hosting this event, @JAHE. I hope we can do it again next October SOCtober.

Happy shaves to everyone,

Jim

Thanks to @JAHE for putting this together and to everyone who contributed. I hope to participate again next year. Until then, be well and stay safe...

-- Benjamin
It's been an enjoyable month with some of the best brushes on the planet.

Thanks again for hosting this event, @JAHE. I hope we can do it again next October SOCtober.

Happy shaves to everyone,

Jim
It's been my pleasure.
Sure, we'll do SOCTOBER again.

Stay safe, y'all!

Final shave for SOCtober.

Last night, I had shave #39 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Grande in gold that I bought off the BST. I'm getting a little more used to the Grande, now, but I'll probably still need a couple more shaves before it's as comfortable as the Piccolo.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After shaking my brush to remove some water, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for 45 seconds before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. This shave was smoother and had less blade feel than my last shave. However, it was still not quite as smooth as with the Piccolo and the blade feel was still greater than that of my shaves with the Piccolo. Also, I wound up having to buff a little more than with any of my shaves with the Piccolo (or even my last shave). Still, I managed a BBS without cutting myself.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). As with my shaves with my Piccolo, I felt no sting from the alum block though I felt a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my seventh time using the VDH balm. Again, I used a little less than pea sized amount of the balm and got a better skin feel (i.e., less "heavy"/greasy) but still perspired a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 98.5/100.

2B2D11AC-C326-4D8D-96CB-1873AD9205DD.jpeg

Top Bottom