What's new

SOCTOBER 2021

Lather was a little skimpy, but my SOC boar is able to get through a shave with a normal load of Tabac. Razor was a Probak, supplemented by my Karve for the trouble spots.
6498DDE3-E541-4B4D-B5EC-7D0213937BD4.jpeg

SOCTOBER entry :

RazoRock Game Changer 84 OC
Tabac (Tallow)
Semogue Owner's Club Boar in Cherry
Gillette Super Thin (Thai)
Witch Hazel

I wasn't very proactive in keeping up with the entries so I decided to make up for it by hitting 4 birds with one "Shave" -
Tabactober, SOCtober, Tabac Tuesday and getting a great shave.

IMG_20211019_083637.jpg

SOC has started to behave like a broken in Boar brush and even though I have several refills of Tallow Tabac, I was a bit apprehensive in using the precious Tabac with SOC!

I'm the end I gave way to my carefree nature and loaded the SOC with Tabac and enjoyed a 3 pass BBS shave.

These Super Thin blades are in similar bandwidth of smoothness but sharpness is lacking. I needed to go over some areas again even though it was a fresh blade.

Skin didn't suffered any irritation though so it was a close, comfortable shave.

20211017_174442-01-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #255/2021
19-10-2021

>> TALLOW TABAC TUESDAYS/ SOCTOBER / OCtober / TABACTOBER <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Premium Boar
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Above The Tie OC S2-plate
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac ASL, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Happy SOCTOBER!

The SOC boar did prep with Mama Bear's Juniper. Refreshing and effective, this bigger boar is perfect for prep/face wash.

The little black walnut boar I turned is more precise for shave lathering. Are there any SOC boars with narrow knots? My cherry handled SOC is even wider than this ash handled version.

FF363834-12AA-4B62-AC06-7A62E19233F6.jpeg

This morning, I had shave #34 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good lather that was slick and cushiony.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After I shook my brush to remove some water and picked up the soap puck in my left hand, I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl. Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some warm tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the shaving bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I did not feel my blade; this is how I like it. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt no sting from the alum block. I did feel a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my second time using the VDH balm. Again, I thought the balm was "heavier"/greasier than the skin than other aftershave balms I've used in the past. I like won't buy another bottle of this if I run out. That said, it'll probably end up in my travel kit after a few more uses.

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100.
B227034D-CDE1-4B58-8F03-25F6199183FF.jpeg

Reactions: bjm
Semogue SOC boar in ash
Taylor of Old Bond Cedar
Razorock GC .84-P razor
Lord Platinum DE blade*
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen a/s
Lalique Pour Homme EDP

*not as sharp as my usual blades (mostly Med Preps and current Russian Gillettes), but passable. This was shave 4; I doubt it'll go 7 as I prefer.

IMG_20211017_070639.jpg

SOC-OCtober 20th

Old Spice uber lather (Shulton soap, India Cream, Glycerin)
SOC Cherry Wood Boar
CC Copper Bowl
Gillette New Short Comb
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (21) blade 2
Shulton Old Spice After Shave and Cologne
P&B Night Witch Post Shave Lotion (smells like Old Spice) + Hyaluronic Acid

DFS+ 9.8/10

I let my face heal for five days. Everything was healed but a bump on my chin. I was worried about shaving it off, but, no cuts today and very little alum feedback. I was torn between using the Short Comb, and, taking part in Wolfman Wednesday. I decided to stick to my guns and shave with the New. Good shave. First pass mowing down five days growth could have been more comfortable, but, three passes and I achieved a very fine DFS+. My neck is really smooth. The unobtainium blade two is still kicking with no end in sight. Very satisfying shave.

20211017_165123-01.jpeg
SOTD #256/2021
21-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Cherry wood handle
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Triumph
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 OC Jaws
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Triumph AS, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Nice shave today. 3 passes, BBS on the face and a very dfs on the neck. Unfortunately I caught some minor redness but the skin irritation didn't last too long. The RPL is a very smooth blade, maybe I unintentionally add too much pressure. The good thing is the JAWS didn't bite me though.

Happy SOCTOBER, y'all!

Brush: SOC butterscotch boar
Soap: Stirling Green
Razor: Blackland Blackbird OC
Blade: Lord Platinum

proxy.php
Nice setup. I've already queued my open combed B'bird for tomorrow's shave... stunning razor and absolutely worth it's price.

Top Bottom