What's new

SOCTOBER 2021

linty1

My wallet cries.
Strictly speaking it is not an SOC, but it uses the exact same handle so it might as well be. It is a now unobtanium LE three band.

I'm mostly into good two bands and Manchurians and don't have an extensive or comprehensive group of three bands.

However, this knot hangs in with the best of my brushes. One of my best purchases!

It is certainly my favorite three band!

Were it my only brush I wouldn't complain.​
View attachment 1342562

Is it better than the SOC Mistura? No. Both are great brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thats a lovely brush, I do love 3 bands, I was just arranging my brushes and a smidge over half of my brushes were of that variety. What can I say, I have a type.

SOC butterscotch boar

proxy.php

20211009_104028-01.jpeg
SOTD #249/2021
11-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura cherry wood.
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ SIR Irisch Moos shaving stick
Razor: Karve CB Brass Open Comb "D-plate"
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Schröder und Mann ~ Majestät AS, Nivea Sensitive asb.

First outing with SIM. And I dare to say after only one shave: it is a shame Mäurer and Wirtz abandoned this soap. The performance seems to be as excellent as tallow Tabac soap (I assume they share the same soap base) - the soap is easy to lather, gives a ton of cushiony slick lather and the scent is very pleasing, too.
The SOC Mistura did nothing but a flawless and highly enjoyable job with this soap (I face lathered).

3 passes, BBS, one tiny nick.
Overall, a great combo.

Happy SOCTOBER, y'all!

Cloudy Monday SOCtober Shave:

Schone razor w/ walnut wood handle
Treet Dura Sharp blade (1)
Semogue SOC finest badger brush
Tabac shave soap
Dickinson's witch hazel + Pereja limon kolonya + tea tree oil
LEA 3-in-1 balm w/ mild alcohol and menthol

I joined you esteemed gentleman this morning and had a great shave.

Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar
Martin de Candre Rose
BMMOC
Stirling Ramblin’ Man

Face lathering MDC with my broken in SOC Boar was great. The tips are so soft, the splay is huge, and with a short soak there is still plenty of backbone.

As you can guess an easy lathering soap, in this case MDC Rose and a great SOC Boar equals excellent lather, creamy, slick, and plentiful.
551C1DEF-B1FC-4897-9756-145C2E3B290C.jpeg
8D28EFF2-93D7-484A-B622-E4C489A88220.jpeg
19715D36-5D7C-49E3-B7E8-1F3380B73A64.jpeg

IMG_20211011_082016.jpg

SOC-OCtober 11th

PAA Mentholated Cube
SOC Ash Wood Finest Badger
CC Copper Bowl
Cyril R. Salter Soap
Gillette New De Luxe Criterion
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (16)
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Vintage Yardley After Shave & Cologne

DFS+ 9.8/10

I have gotten used to larger brushes, but, I am enjoying this knot. The boar brush is going to take a while to break in, but, this one is perfect. Nice brush. I am glad I decided to take part.

20211012_065803-01.jpeg
SOTD #250/2021
12-10-2021

>> Tallow Tabac Tuesday/ SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Brush: Semogue TSN LE 3-band Silvertip
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Above The Tie OC "H2-plate"
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac ASL, Nivea Sensitive asb.

Semogue's TSN LE today for me as well. A great brush, a great soap and a lovely shave result...couldn't be happier with the 250th shave of 2021.

Enjoy your SOCTOBER, y'all!

Last night, I had shave #30 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel. This was my second time trying a Fatip razor.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made my lather just right. It was rich and creamy with plenty of slickness and cushion. I managed to get a nice irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I drizzled a bit of cold tap water on top of the soap.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I dumped the bloom water into an empty yogurt cup, shook my brush to remove some water, and picked up the soap puck in my left hand. I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl where I began to continued swirling my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. After my lather was shave-ready, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and barely buffed my trouble areas. I did not feel the during this shave since I learned not to hold the razor at a steep angle (i.e., past neutral). By riding the cap and maintaining a shallow angle, the shave was nothing but smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). As with my last shave, I barely felt the alum block at all. Still, I felt some sting from the alcohol in the splash.

Thanks to the Fatip, I'm, now going to aim for shave #60 with this blade. I'm confident that I can get 40 shaves out of the blade. I'm thinking 50 is possible, but I want to aim for 60 smooth shaves with one blade.

All in all, I would give this shave a 99.5/100. I've never been more tempted to give a shave an 100/100!

C684554C-F500-4B3E-91A8-10D9B17962FA.jpeg

SOC-OCtober 12th

Face wash with PAA Mentholated Cube
PAA The Tube as preshave
SOC Cherry Wood Boar
P&B Star Noir Soap
Gillette New De Luxe Criterion
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (17)
Alum
Hyaluronic Acid + P&B Post Shaving Lotion
Minotaure EdT

DFS+ so close, but, still not BBS. 9.8/10

Every day this week I have thought I have never been this close to BBS. Every day it is closer. I'm liking the New De Luxe and unobtainium blade. My New Short Comb was delivered today. Still I am going to finish the week off with the new De Luxe. I want to finish the month with these two razors. They will each get at least a week. Who knows, my technique might improve with one of them, and, I will attain my first true BBS. I'm close. I think it will be with the Short Comb. I have been reading a lot about rigidity, and, it has made me curious. There is a spot on my neck that is in a hollow area, where the hair grows diagonally up towards my ear. This part of my neck there is always stubble rubbing against the grain. I'm hoping the New short comb will be able with enough practice take it down. It is hard to make that area flat, and, quick strokes hang on skin. Today I can feel only this area very lightly and along my jawline. It is improbable that I will be able to do it, but, I'm getting such good results with the DE Luxe. How much better can it be with a rigid razor? I think the hickup is me, but, a good tool can help.

IMG_20211012_070424.jpg

20211012_193239-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #251/2021
13-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Razor: Gillette The New Long Comb
Blade: Gillette Perma Sharp (3)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Pitralon AS, Nivea Sensitive asb.

I haven't used my MWF for a couple of months - after having whipped up a lovely slick and cushiony lather I really wondered why I neglected this soap for such a long time. Great scent, great performance (I overloaded the SOC again) and great post shave skin feeling. I definitely should use this soap more frequently. Besides, Pitralon Classic AS is a perfect partner of MWF, scent-wise.

3 passes, BBS on the face and almost bbs on the neck. Nice and easy!

Happy SOCTOBER, y'all!

The 2-band Finest in cherry wood is really remarkable. Today it made huge volume of beautiful lather from some TOBS cream. I love the feel of this brush. Right there with the Mistura at the top of the list of brushes I have used.

Semogue SOC 2-band Finest Cherry
Taylor of Old Bond Cedarwood crm
Razorock Gamechanger .84P razor
Gillette Perma-Sharp blade day #4
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic
Guerlain Vetiver Eau de Toilette :thumbup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom