What's new

SOCTOBER 2021

There's a lot of love among our B & B community members for the Semogue SOC Mistura brush.
After reading loads of positive and uplifting comments on several different threads, I decided it
was time to add another brush to my collection. Do I "need" another brush ? ..... of course not.
Do I deserve to be good to myself and buy a gift "from me to me ?" ..... Yes indeed ! :thumbup::thumbup:
Here she is right out of the box. My initial thoughts are "WOW !, she is a beauty."

606C894F-923E-475B-8209-C487465FDE6C.jpeg

Okay, so I know that with a new brush, you're supposed to soak it, condition it, baby it, and break it in .....
..... all before the first shave. But, feeling like a little kid again with a new toy, I just couldn't wait. So,
about a dozen swirls in my tub of Mike's Lavender, and then a magnificent face lather. First try, and I am
already loving this brush. Everything about it seems pretty darn perfect ! I know, only time will tell and
YMMV, etc., etc.. But, I must admit that right from the start, this is an awesome brush. Here she is after
swirling in the soap, and then her first "bloom" after a thorough rinse and towel dry after my shave.
I am definitely a happy camper !

8000F357-6A43-4BC1-A6A1-3544AEB76E6D.jpeg
749BCAF8-29CB-4675-BABE-2AF63564583D.jpeg

Semogue TSN LE silvertip SOC
Barrister & Mann Reserve Fern
Razorock Gamechanger .84 DE
Gillette Perma-Sharp blade #5
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal
Rasasi Egra Eau de Parfum*:001_smile

*This is a clone of Creed Green Irish Tweed. I am not generally a fan of clones, but Creed has simply priced itself out of range for me, and Rasasi has made a fragrance that is, IMO, almost indistinguishable from the original and more consistent in quality.

SOCtober 8th

A&E Slick Stick
SOC cherry Boar
Timeless Bronze OC
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (13)
Fine Lavender Pour Homme soap and splash
Captain's Choice Bowl
Thayer's Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive Balm + Hyaluronic Acid

CCS quick shave this morning.

Last edited:
20211007_173345-01-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #248/2021
09-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Butterscotch
Soap: Speick ~ Tallow Shaving Stick
Razor: Above The Tie OC S2
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Schröder und Mann ~ Majestät AS, Nivea Sensitive asb.

Face lathered the tallow based Speick shavetick today. Now this has been a great pleasure. Managed to whip up a generous amount of creamy and slick lather. 3 passes, BBS. Very nice, close and effortless.

Happy SOCTOBER, y'all!

Last edited:
SOC-OCtober 9th

A&E Slick Stick
SOC Finest Badger Ash Wood
Timeless Bronze OC
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (14)
B&M Hallows Soap & Splash + Frag
Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Alum
Witch Hazel
B&M Hallows Balm + Hyaluronic Acid

DFS+

Great shave. Neck is really good in places, but, could have had better touch ups.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Did I see some people with the SOC in 3 band silvertip? Now -that- intrigues me... I love the 3 band..

Strictly speaking it is not an SOC, but it uses the exact same handle so it might as well be. It is a now unobtanium LE three band.

I'm mostly into good two bands and Manchurians and don't have an extensive or comprehensive group of three bands.

However, this knot hangs in with the best of my brushes. One of my best purchases!

It is certainly my favorite three band!

Were it my only brush I wouldn't complain.​
10-8-21.FOCS.Semogue.LE.3Band.Shannon'sSoap.NIL.640.JPG

Is it better than the SOC Mistura? No. Both are great brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

SOC Mistura Cherrywood, whipping up a wonderful lush scuttle lather with Cella BioCream,
smoothly shaved to a three pass BBS result with my RazoRock Lupo .72 and a Gillette Nacet (3),
and finished off with Proraso Red splash, Proraso Blue balm, and a few drops of Hyaluronic Acid.
Only my second time with the SOC Mistura, and I am loving it ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

FDE020BC-10B5-42FC-87DA-7B94E8F3E056.jpeg

Last night, I had shave #29 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Originale Piccolo Nichelato. This was my first time trying a Fatip OC razor.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made my lather just right. It was rich and creamy with plenty of slickness and cushion. I managed to get a nice irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I poured about a 1/2tsp of cold tap water on top of the soap. I really think, for my next shave, I'll cut back even more to just a couple drops of water (or maybe not even bloom the Tabac at all).

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I shook my brush to remove some water, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and dumped the bloom water into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I swirled my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather still on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. After my lather was shave-ready, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and barely buffed my trouble areas. I wound up feeling the blade only when I held the razor at a steep angle (i.e., past neutral). By riding the cap and maintaining a shallow angle, the shave was extremely smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I barely felt the alum block at all. In fact, I wound up making multiple passes with the alum block just to make sure I actually applied the alum block and didn't miss anything. The shave was that smooth! Still, I did feel the some sting from the alcohol in the splash, however.

Here's the craziest part, thanks to the Fatip, the blade felt newer. When I did feel the blade on my face, it felt as if it were back on shave 5 or 6, not shave 29! I'm, now, not only sure I can reach shave 30 with this blade, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I reached shave 60 with it!

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100. (Once again, I'm tempted to give a shave an 100/100!)

0159A468-B286-4631-A865-772F8E4499D2.jpeg

Top Bottom