What's new

SOCTOBER 2021

Others play my games, so I might as well play yours. ;)

SOCTOBER 2021 - I'm in with my SOC(s) exclusively in SOCTOBER
"SOC
ool"

1) JAHE
2) hairless wonder
3) Rhody

SOCTOBER 2021 - I'm in every now and then (SOCs in rotation with other brushes)
"SOC
ially Acceptable"

1) Multum in parvo
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
3) Atlantic59 (SOC Finest Mistura | SOC Finest Badger)
4) linty1
5) Neilzebub
6) TAARHEEL_85
7) FoolishMortal (SOC Taj Boar)

...and I reserve the right to promote myself to "SOCool" at some point. :D

(I hope you don't mind that I added my own flavor to the category names. Nobody else has to use the labels...)

Last edited:
I've got my SOC 2-band Finest in cherry, SOC boar in ash, SOC Mistura in Taj resin, and an LE silvertip w/SOC-style handle in tortoise. If that fourth one is allowed, I should have all my bases covered to do SOCool. If not, I'll still be in for SOCially Acceptable.

"SOC
ool"
1) JAHE
2) hairless wonder
3) Rhody
4)TBoner

"SOC
ially Acceptable"
1) Multum in parvo
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
4) linty1
5) Neilzebub
6) TAARHEEL_85

"SOC
ool"
1) JAHE
2) hairless wonder
3) Rhody
4)TBoner

"SOC
ially Acceptable"
1) Multum in parvo
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
4) linty1
5) Neilzebub
6) TAARHEEL_85
8) Tanuki (SOC boars, cherry and ash(?))

Missed that line at first! Nice!

I may be picking up another SOC mistura soon (really want a butterscotch). Either way, I'm set and looking forward to the month. The SOC boar is a recent addition to my den and has only about a half dozen lathers on it. It will be breaking in as we go.
I really wish I had known you were in the market for the SOC boar because I have one with the cherry handle that's still new in the box. Dang it! I could have cleared my debt :cool:

And regarding SOCtober... What am I waiting for? I'm in!

"SOC
ool"
1) JAHE
2) hairless wonder
3) Rhody
4)TBoner
5) bjm

"SOC
ially Acceptable"
1) Multum in parvo
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
4) linty1
5) Neilzebub
6) TAARHEEL_85

Last edited:
I hereby declare SOCTOBER open...
20210510_112315-01-01.jpeg

I'm happy to have ALL OF YOU in!
Have a great month, y'all!

20211001_162913-01.jpeg
SOTD #244/2021
01-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober / TABACTOBER <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band finest badger Butterscotch
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 Open Comb
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Tabac ASL.

That's been a perfect start into SOCTOBER. And Tabactober. And OCtober.

The latter will likely make me skip some of my shaves in October since some of my OCs are brutally efficient. 3 passes today, BBS with ease.

Happy SOCTOBER shaves, y'all!

Fatip lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Fine Platinum
SOC 2-Band Finest

What a great shave today! Of my remaining badger brushes, the SOC is hands-down my favorite. I still have a Shavemac Beagle new in the box so the final ranking is not complete. The SOC just felt awesome from the first pass to the last. For those of you fortunate enough to grab one recently for the ridiculously low sale price I say CONGRATULATIONS!

I anticipate being pretty busy for the next few weeks and won't be able to submit SOTD pics so here's my SOC lineup for the month...

SOC.jpg

I had considered using the badger exclusively, but the boars kept calling out to me. It looks like some sort of rotation will be happening after all. Be well and stay safe...

Last night, I had shave #25 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Tabac (Tallow) shaving soap for the first time ever. I made too much lather and added too much water for my preference. Still, the lather was slick with decent cushion. I managed to get an almost irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I took the soap out of the tub and placed it upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl, where I poured just enough water just to reach a bit above the edge of the grooves in the bottom of the bowl. I won't be making that mistake again. The Tabac does not need to be treated like other triple milled soaps I've used in the past.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather still on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. Unfortunately, I added too much water, but the Tabac just drank up all the extra water. It seems to have a huge margin of error--more than any soaps I've used previously. When my lather was good to go, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I managed to nick myself just the tiniest bit above my lip. Additionally, I wound up feeling the blade a little more than with previous shaves. Aside from that, the shave was smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Pinaud Clubman) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I felt no real sting from the alum block, aside from where I nicked myself, and only the barest hint of a sting from the alcohol in the splash.

I'm pretty sure that once my lather is dialed in, I can get at least another 5 (if not more) shaves out of this blade. Also, why didn't anyone tell me about Tabac being such a fantastic soap before? It has excellent residual slickness (as most of the other soaps I've used also do) but making a lather with this is almost idiot proof. Heck, I knew I added way too much water but the lather was not only still usable but it was still pretty protecting! I may need to stock up on the (tallow) refill pucks! (Seriously, why did Maurer Wirtz mess with the formula to remove tallow? The tallow Tabac is pretty much bulletproof and perfect.)

All in all, I would give this shave a 97.5/100.
6DCBD2DD-DE34-4BE0-A3E2-92AE9F0DB284.jpeg

"SOC
ool"
1) JAHE
2) hairless wonder
3) Rhody
4)TBoner
5) bjm

"SOC
ially Acceptable"
1) Multum in parvo
2) Contact_vs_Feedback
4) linty1
5) Neilzebub
6) TAARHEEL_85
9) Abz88 (SOC Taj Boar)

I could quite happily use the SOC exclusively, but I have too many quality boars for that 😂

Last night, I had shave #25 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Tabac (Tallow) shaving soap for the first time ever. I made too much lather and added too much water for my preference. Still, the lather was slick with decent cushion. I managed to get an almost irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I took the soap out of the tub and placed it upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl, where I poured just enough water just to reach a bit above the edge of the grooves in the bottom of the bowl. I won't be making that mistake again. The Tabac does not need to be treated like other triple milled soaps I've used in the past.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather still on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. Unfortunately, I added too much water, but the Tabac just drank up all the extra water. It seems to have a huge margin of error--more than any soaps I've used previously. When my lather was good to go, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I managed to nick myself just the tiniest bit above my lip. Additionally, I wound up feeling the blade a little more than with previous shaves. Aside from that, the shave was smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Pinaud Clubman) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I felt no real sting from the alum block, aside from where I nicked myself, and only the barest hint of a sting from the alcohol in the splash.

I'm pretty sure that once my lather is dialed in, I can get at least another 5 (if not more) shaves out of this blade. Also, why didn't anyone tell me about Tabac being such a fantastic soap before? It has excellent residual slickness (as most of the other soaps I've used also do) but making a lather with this is almost idiot proof. Heck, I knew I added way too much water but the lather was not only still usable but it was still pretty protecting! I may need to stock up on the (tallow) refill pucks! (Seriously, why did Maurer Wirtz mess with the formula to remove tallow? The tallow Tabac is pretty much bulletproof and perfect.)

All in all, I would give this shave a 97.5/100.
View attachment 1337950
I'm glad you had a great debut shave with a great setup. Grab your tallow Tabac refill pucks while they last. Enjoy!

20211002_124632-01-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #245/2021
02-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Cherry wood
Soap: Mühle ~ Sanddorn Rasiercreme
Razor: Fatip Retro Nichelato Open Comb
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium Extra Stainless (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS.

Not much stubble today due to the uber efficient shave taking place yesterday. Two smooth passes with a bit of touchup made my face feel like I'm 12 again. No nicks or post shave irritation - just a lovely shave with the stunning Mistura. I face lathered the Mühle sea buckthorn shaving cream, since I love the Mistura scrub - it's sooooo nice.

Happy SOCTOBER shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
Top Bottom