What's new

Socks

OldSaw

The wife's investment
E105C489-172F-4B96-A81D-EF510519F707.jpeg
I’ve been spoiling myself lately. This just came in the mail today. Nice touch with the hand writing. Also had a hand written card inside welcoming me as a customer.

I ordered and received a pair of red over the calf socks in merino wool and a pair of periwinkle blue in linen. You can view them on their website here, The best of socks - Mes chaussettes rouges

You are sartorially savvy!

The Parisian storefront and online 'My Red Sox/ Mes Chaussettes Rouges' have an excellent selection of the anti-Gold Toe Black socks that too many guys routinely wear (ME INCLUDED!). I favor Mazarin Academic Green and Red in their Super Durable range, and among the Cotton Isle, Gammarelli Red (just like the Pope wears) and Purple (for the Bishops)!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
You are sartorially savvy!

The Parisian storefront and online 'My Red Sox/ Mes Chaussettes Rouges' have an excellent selection of the anti-Gold Toe Black socks that too many guys routinely wear (ME INCLUDED!). I favor Mazarin Academic Green and Red in their Super Durable range, and among the Cotton Isle, Gammarelli Red (just like the Pope wears) and Purple (for the Bishops)!

A couple of weeks ago I went down to my local haberdashery store and paid $35 for a pair of Egyptian cotton OTC socks. This order of two pairs cost me around $54 including shipping AND currency exchange. It took a few weeks, but I can definitely see buying more in the future. Especially, since I prefer merino wool socks these days and have many in casual varieties, it’s good to find a source for dress socks.

This is also my first pair of linen socks, so I’m looking forward to how they compare to cotton and merino.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What the heck ... I gave them a go. Ordered a couple pair (brown wool and blue extra-durable.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
an excellent selection of the anti-Gold Toe Black socks that too many guys routinely wear

Yeah ... it's very easy to find a few basic colours, and virtually impossible to find anything else. Here's hoping!

And here I have been buying the 5 pairs in a set Costco socks. I actually like them a lot. Would prefer over the calf, but these seem to stay up fine. So inexpensive, would not matter if they did not hold up, but they seem to.

That is a great online store, though. I get my Saphir shoe polish from them and they are a wonderful seller. I have some good socks, too. I would not hesitate to order from these folks. Very classy.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I, too, am impeccable.

My socks arrived today. So far, all I can say is the packaging was very nice. Once I actually wear them (soon) a few times I'll have "first impressions" on the quality.

Those European and Brit firms have a way with packaging things ordered from them, don't they!? I think the single tin of mirror gloss Saphir I ordered from the Mes Chaussettes Rouges came in a logo-ed special cloth draw string pouch and had lots of tissue paper and, like Oldsaw's package, had a handwritten note as well as the outside destination address being handwritten. Pretty classy.

I just got in three pair of Japanese herringbone socks from Gustin. 46% wool, the rest synthetic. Pretty nice, should be good with low rise shoes. For boots I stick to thicker socks.

One sock I've not had much luck with are the bamboo fiber prosoks. Granted, they are my athletic wear socks so they see some strong abuse but they have all failed in a year or so. Generic cotton socks seem to last as long, if not longer, so the prosok price isn't paying out IMHO.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wore a pair of socks today ... so far so good.

Those European and Brit firms have a way with packaging things ordered from them, don't they!? ... I ordered from the Mes Chaussettes Rouges came in a logo-ed special cloth draw string pouch and had lots of tissue paper and ... had a handwritten note as well as the outside destination address being handwritten. Pretty classy.

Indeed, same here.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I wore the sky blue socks for the entire day on Sunday with my Allen Edmonds tassel loafers. Even though I knew I had them on, I never once had to pull them up or even think to check them because they just worked.

This pair is linen and it is the first pair of linen socks I have ever had. I wasn’t sure what to expect. They are fairly thin, but since they’re dress socks that seems about right. At the end of the day I threw them in the hamper, hopefully they will get laundered this week before I get home and I can see how they hold up to washing. I asked Mrs. OldSaw to lay them on the drying screen rather than putting them in the dryer.

Next weekend I think I’ll take the red merino wool socks out for a spin. I think I wore them briefly but it wasn’t worth posting about.

Hidee Ho Neighbors - Just looking for a follow-up now that you gents have been rotating these socks through your wardrobe for the past 45 - 60 days

How are they post home laundry (using a dryer or only line dry?), any bleeding or fading, elasticity remaining strong and are the over-the-calf models translated to "knee high" and the typical crew length equal to "mid-calf"?

Inquiring minds want to know......

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hidee Ho Neighbors - Just looking for a follow-up now that you gents have been rotating these socks through your wardrobe for the past 45 - 60 days

How are they post home laundry (using a dryer or only line dry?), any bleeding or fading, elasticity remaining strong and are the over-the-calf models translated to "knee high" and the typical crew length equal to "mid-calf"?

So far so good.

I've only worn them a few times so far (the depth of my current sock rotation leads to that), so I can't speak to long-term durability ... except to say that initial impressions are that the socks are well made and will be durable.

Ditto for colour fastness, elastic, &c.

I only got the "OTC" model and ... they are definitely "OTC". No shortage of material length there.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I’m very pleased. I’m not even sure how many times they have been washed, maybe only once or twice as they only get worn for a couple of hours on some weekends. This weekend will be all day wear for my youngest ones wedding.

So far the elastic is holding up well and not too tight. Even though I know I’m wearing socks, it’s weird not to have to constantly be pulling them up all the time.

The red is nice and bright. It’s a nice look peeking through between my pants and loafers.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wish I could still wear socks! I'm cursed with varicose veins, one of the many benefits of a lifetime of standing for a living, first as a Cosmetologist, then a floor nurse. But support hose have come a long way in 30 years...

Damn, I have got to get out of this forum....socks are ordered

Currently, all my socks are black, navy or tan - so these are all in bright colors and patterns. I am not sure that I w/b pairing these up with my work clothes, but I s/b all set for casual outfits for a long time

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Damn, I have got to get out of this forum....socks are ordered

Currently, all my socks are black, navy or tan - so these are all in bright colors and patterns. I am not sure that I w/b pairing these up with my work clothes, but I s/b all set for casual outfits for a long time

Good man!

I wore the blue linen ones to the wedding ceremony and then changed to the red merino ones for the reception on Saturday. I then tossed them in the hamper with no instructions. My wife will probably launder them sometime this week. I’ll see how they look when I get back home on Friday.

Top Bottom