What's new

Socks... Which color?

I really don't dress up except for church, weddings, and funerals. With warmer weather on the way, I'll be wearing khakis rather than wool more. Shoes-wise, it's usually cordovan loafers. So, the question arises, what color socks do I wear? Black? Khaki to match the pants, or something that picks out a color in the shirt?

The "rule" is a colour matching the trousers. Doesn't have to be the same hue. It's because the socks are supposed to make your legs look longer or something like that. Can't remember where I read it.

For me, this isn't very important at all when wearing casual or even dressy casual clothes. I will try to follow this rule with dress trousers, however.

As long as colours complement the trousers and what you wear though, I say go for it. You can look quite stylish with a "brave" choice of socks.

I have to agree match the pants as much as possible.That being said I wear a lot of different argyles and can often match both the pants and shirt too.

I am going to go out on a limb and say match the socks to the shoes. Black shoes, black socks. Brown shoes, brown socks.

If anyone wants to disagree with me then I will ask you: what color socks do you wear with blue jeans? :biggrin1:

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I really don't dress up except for church, weddings, and funerals. With warmer weather on the way, I'll be wearing khakis rather than wool more. Shoes-wise, it's usually cordovan loafers. So, the question arises, what color socks do I wear? Black? Khaki to match the pants, or something that picks out a color in the shirt?

The only thing you need to know is that you don't wear dress pants with white socks.

The "rule" is socks should match pants: so Khaki Pants = Tan Socks.

this rule was developedto make it easy for guys to look put together without to much thought. (sort of like the basic assumptions of tie color/shirt color matching).

many people will also tell you to match your socks to your tie (as a way to tie your outfit together and show your personal style)

I also wear a lot of argyles, as well some 'trendier" patterns.

Target has a wide selection of Dress Socks (reasonably priced as well) in a variety of colors, argyles, and patterns.

(I like their Black sock with the Grey skull Pattern... my lucky socks)

Screw conventions that say match to your pants or your shoes, that try to blend in or disapear. All that says about you is that you're boring, and lack any imagination or sense of style.

Stripes, Argyle, Polkadots! Wear colors that make you happy, and coordinate with the rest of your outfit. Brown and burgundy stripes bring some color to a drab brown outfit. Argyles are both classic and colorful, and they tend to have a color that matches your clothes as well as other colors to brighten things up.

http://www.sockdreams.com I love these guys. They have a great selection, & free first class shipping, so you can order a single pair if you like without the shipping eating away. I usually get orders from them in a couple of days in spite of the fact they are on the left coast.

I generally match my socks to my shoes so I don't have to match so many colors in my sock drawer. May not be "the way" to do it, but its always worked well for me.

I am going to go out on a limb and say match the socks to the shoes. Black shoes, black socks. Brown shoes, brown socks.

If anyone wants to disagree with me then I will ask you: what color socks do you wear with blue jeans? :biggrin1:

Thanks,
Mike

I have blue socks that I wear with blue jeans, I also match socks with shoes. It just depends on what I feel like wearing for the day.

Thanks,
Mike

Um, blue or black actually. :confused1

I would like for the appearance of my pants and socks to lead to my shoes, not vice versa.

When I went to Etiquette school they told us always have your socks match or compliment your slacks. When I am doing ministry work I wear colored socks but the rest of the time I wear classic white nike socks. I wear my pants long enought that they just touch the tops of my dress shoes; so you can only see my socks when I am sitting.

So you don't own a pair of white socks?

Not what I said, was it? I own plenty of white socks, I just choose not to wear them except in the most casual circumstances, for instance if I don't plan on putting on shoes at all. Chances are, if you see me wearing white socks with jeans, it is only because I am not wearing any shoes at all and I am just hanging around the house.

The only time that I can think of that I intentionally wear white socks with jeans is when I am wearing athletic shoes, which is very rare because I tend to believe that jeans and nikes make you look a bit like an idiot. I am of the mindset that if you are wearing athletic shoes, you should at least be wearing shorts. YMMV, and I even break that rule myself occasionally. Chances are though, if I am wearing jeans I am picking my Docs over my Under Armours.

Also keeping in mind that "jean season" down here is like Dec-Feb. I am already back in shorts and polos again.

Top Bottom