What's new

Socks ... what are you wearing

Usually wear Gold Toe. They do seem to wear out in about 3 months.

And if you have the same impression that I do, it seemed like 20 years ago or so it was hard to wear them out at all, much less after just three months. I still like Gold Toe socks. They seem as good as any typical, widely available socks, or better. But they do not seem as "good" as they used to me. Maybe they are made out of different materials now.

Wool Gold Toes. I forget what they are called. QC seems to be hit or miss with them though. I have a few pairs that are great. Moderately warm for the winter, not too thick and stay up on my leg. A few pairs though shrank to ridiculously small sizes (all washed the same, all the same "model") so I need to toss them.

Last edited:
Most of the time I'm wearing some form of LL Bean Wool Cresta Hiking Socks or LL Bean Super Wool Sport Socks.

I also have a few pairs of Brigdale Sport Socks and various Wigwams.
All of which I like.

On duty in my boots its one of 3... thorlos, smart wool, or darn tough vermont socks....I'm trying a few brands to see which ones i like best as im a recent convert to high quality boot socks (used to just wear gold toe crew socks)

Off duty i do triathalons/ lots of running and i really like either thorlos or road runner sports "best running socks" in medium cushion and wear them all the time as they road runners are cheap last a long time and keep my feet bone dry

For dress socks I wear whatever generic dress socks i have at the time as I do not wear a suit very often.

For this time of year my casual socks are either LL Bean boot socks or LL Bean cresta hiking socks. Also a fan of Darn Tough socks from VT.

Right now I'm wearing some dress socks from TJ Max. My favorite socks are REI winter mountaineering socks from REI. I have a bout 30 pairs from a misspent youth.

Usually wear these ones, http://www.sportsdirect.com/donnay-mens-socks-10-pack-414065 but a couple weeks ago I bought a 3 pair pack of Nike Dri-Fit socks that I have been pretty impressed with.

They are the first pair of socks I have EVER had that has an orange L & R stamped on them :tongue_sm because they are ribbed to fit each foot. I found them to be breatheable but my Doc Martens boots at the time just held the pools of sweat under my toes.

I wear merino wool socks all year long with my work boots. Started out wearing SmartWool but found RedHead merino wool socks at the Bass Pro that is close by. At 9.95 a pair and if they ever wear out take them back and Bass Pro will replace them how can you go wrong.

On cold day's I've got a couple pairs of Wigwam socks that I wear. I'm not sure of the exact type, but they are definitely warm. On warmer days I just wear Hanes socks, but I've been looking to upgrade, as these aren't made like they used to be. I can remember 5 or 6 years ago buying Hanes socks that would last for at least a year, maybe two. Now, I'm lucky to get six months out of them, and my usage for them hasn't changed.

On another note, I'm surprised by the mentions of dress socks in here. I will do absolutely ANYTHING to avoid wearing dress socks. I buy cotton athletic socks in as many colors as I can find to wear to work in place of dress socks. I've never liked them. I just can't stand the thin, cheap feel of them. They feel like panty hose, offer no cushion (compared to athletic socks), and are overall just horrible, IMO. I've had lots of different brands - Gold Toe, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, etc., and hated them all.

......On another note, I'm surprised by the mentions of dress socks in here. I will do absolutely ANYTHING to avoid wearing dress socks. I buy cotton athletic socks in as many colors as I can find to wear to work in place of dress socks. I've never liked them. I just can't stand the thin, cheap feel of them. They feel like panty hose,....

This being Sunday, I tried to take the high rode, but I have to ask. How do you know what panty hose feel like? :)

I have two tennis pros in the family, so I have been well supplied in Thor-Lo socks for the last twenty years. I'm on my own for dress socks, though, and usually pick up Polo socks at Marshall's.

jbird

Top Bottom