What's new

Society of Injector Shavers (the SISSIES)

14 shaves on a Schick Proline. Far and away the most I've ever shaved with any blade with no maintenance. I once went 56 shaves on a Gold Dollar 66, but I stropped before and after every pass.
You can't indulge your RAD or Blade AD if you like injectors, lol.

14 shaves on a Schick Proline. Far and away the most I've ever shaved with any blade with no maintenance. I once went 56 shaves on a Gold Dollar 66, but I stropped before and after every pass.
You can't indulge your RAD or Blade AD if you like injectors, lol.

Don't give up on that blade yet. You might be surprised how many more shaves you can get from it.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Just had my first shave with my Schick Type A using a hand-loaded new Proline B-20 blade. All I can say is WOW -- I mean it was a GREAT shave!!! 2 passes plus a light touch-up and my face is as smooth as glass. I handled it with kid gloves, but I really didn't need to. It feels great in the hand, no problem locating the angle (a bit steeper than later Schick's), and I can't wait until my next shave!!! If I had gotten this razor when the Colonel first introduced it, I would've been a Schick user for life -- took a few years (and I started with another Schick), but of course I really am a Schick user for life!!! Any other SISSIE type A shavers? Would love to hear about yours.

Here are the shave details:
Shick Type A with Proline B-20 blade (1) | Modern Williams | Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf | Krampert's Best Frostbite
IMG_1938.jpg

Flintstone65

Glad to see you enjoying yourself, Fred.
Thanks, Steve!!! And in that vein, here is another (and if you can believe it) even better 2nd shave with the Magazine Repeating Razor (aka Schick Type A). The 2nd shave with a new-to-me razor is usually better than the very first time, but the first shave was so nice that I couldn't imagine it getting much better. Well it did, this second shave was outstanding!!! Super close after 2 passes -- and I only had to touch-up a couple of spots.

I had also introduced another new-to-me product (LEA Professional Shaving Cream). I've been on a tube-cream kick, and I recently found this inexpensive cream from Spain (along with the menthol version) while purchasing some other items and threw them both into the cart. The tube is HUGE, and it requires only a small amount to get a nice slick lather, and I really like that European soapy, clean scent!

So to sum up, I had another truly excellent shave with the Type A. I'll admit that I snatched it up thinking it was just going to be one of those barely-used-but-great-collectible razors; and now I can't imagine putting it away. I'm still planning on creating a separate thread for this excellent razor -- I've searched and it barely gets any air play.

For now, here are the details of today's shave:
Schick Type A with Proline B20 (2) | LEA Professional Shaving Cream | Yaqi 26mm Faux Horse "Rainbow" | Thayer's Witch Hazel (I was so impressed with my shave that I totally forgot my Krampert's -- but I'll splash on some Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum before going out today!
proxy.php

IMG_1946.jpg

First shave today with a new to me K1. It's a beautiful razor. Flawless shave, with a Proline blade and Palmolive Lather. 15650336338618289570292057601384.jpg

Question: if I am going to store a injector razor for months without using it, I have several. Should I leave a blade in it or not? Will leaving a blade in it for long periods of time hurt or weaken the blade holding power of the spring? Your thoughts...

Flintstone65

Question: if I am going to store a injector razor for months without using it, I have several. Should I leave a blade in it or not? Will leaving a blade in it for long periods of time hurt or weaken the blade holding power of the spring? Your thoughts...
My understanding is that the blade should be left in the razor, it will not hurt the spring. In fact, the razors were originally shipped with a razor-sized brass blank. It makes it easier to load the next/new blade, so I would guess that the spring doesn't mind being and staying engaged, since it comes from the factory that way. Others more knowledgeable than I can confirm or amend my understanding.

My understanding is that the blade should be left in the razor, it will not hurt the spring. In fact, the razors were originally shipped with a razor-sized brass blank. It makes it easier to load the next/new blade, so I would guess that the spring doesn't mind being and staying engaged, since it comes from the factory that way. Others more knowledgeable than I can confirm or amend my understanding.

Entirely correct, Fred. You can damage the razor by removing and re-inserting the blade, and it is unnecessary.

1. I currently own only a single injector razor, but would love to own more.

2. I own a Type A. Fell in love with the look and function the first time I saw it.

3. Right now about 85% SE (mostly GEM) shaves with a few DE and Straight shaves thrown in. I haven't tried my Type A yet, waiting on blades to come in the mail.

4. I'm hoping to love my type A once I get to use it.

5. Only have one, so this will be updated as I go along.

6. I have been going through the gauntlet of shave styles over the last year. Started with straights learning all I could about them, then moved to my DEs and ran them for a couple months, now I'm on my SE razors and am loving them. Now I think it's time to give injector razors a go. Picked up my first Type-A and love the look and feel of it. I really am chomping at the bit to get this thing shaving but amazon takes a very long 2 days to ship my blades to me lol.

My humble Type-A:
DCF52BED-BE03-42F0-9F88-A94863B9BD2F_jpeg.jpg

Hopefully only having this one doesn't preclude me from membership. This seems like a wealth of knowledge and the best place to ask any questions I may have.

2. I own a Type A. Fell in love with the look and function the first time I saw it.

3. Right now about 85% SE (mostly GEM) shaves with a few DE and Straight shaves thrown in. I haven't tried my Type A yet, waiting on blades to come in the mail.

6. I have been going through the gauntlet of shave styles over the last year. Started with straights learning all I could about them, then moved to my DEs and ran them for a couple months, now I'm on my SE razors and am loving them. Now I think it's time to give injector razors a go. Picked up my first Type-A and love the look and feel of it. I really am chomping at the bit to get this thing shaving but amazon takes a very long 2 days to ship my blades to me lol.

My humble Type-A:
View attachment 1011772

Hopefully only having this one doesn't preclude me from membership. This seems like a wealth of knowledge and the best place to ask any questions I may have.

Welcome to the SISSIES, JM. Glad to have you aboard,

Flintstone65

My humble Type-A:
View attachment 1011772

Good to see you, sir! And that is just a beautiful "Type A" -- and I'm betting you will love it!!!

I’m hoping I like it. My blades will be here on Thursday so we will see how things go.

If I do enjoy it I’m thinking about grabbing some vintage blades for it, just to try them out because modern injector blades are so few and far between.

So, I picked up a pack of “War Package” blades, mostly for the the extra clip then anything else. Will the blades be pretty bad? It would be interesting to try them, but would rather not shave the skin off my face. Any one ever use these?

Second, I’m eyeing some Krona blades and am wondering if these blades are any good. I’ve seen them mentioned a couple times but am not sure the quality.

So, I picked up a pack of “War Package” blades, mostly for the the extra clip then anything else. Will the blades be pretty bad? It would be interesting to try them, but would rather not shave the skin off my face. Any one ever use these?

Second, I’m eyeing some Krona blades and am wondering if these blades are any good. I’ve seen them mentioned a couple times but am not sure the quality.

I don't think you will shave the skin off your face. You might get a very poor shave, though. Those were blades made before stainless blades were unavailable, so quality has deteriorated over time. I'm old enough to remember shaving with Gillette Blue blades, and those were OK for one shave, marginal for two, and downright uncomfortable for any more. How else do you think Gillette made so much money? They gave the razors away, and made up the profits on the blades. As I understand it, the Krona blades were pretty darned good. If you want info on them, PM
@coolbus18. He's my go-to man on things Injector-ish.

Well, that's good to know. Just hate having a really bad shave during the week as I'm required to be clean shaven and can't give my face a rest. Was suppose to get my Chick's today, but apparently 2 day shipping means maybe 2 day shipping. Oh well. Have to wait another day to try out my Schick, but that will give me a day and a half of growth, so that might help things out.

Top Bottom