What's new

Society of Injector Shavers (the SISSIES)

Am I doing something wrong?

When I put a new injector blade in the razor, that first shave us amazingly efficient. By the 2nd or 3rd shave, I can still get a decent shave, but it's already noticeably less sharp. As others have posted about how long these blades last them, I can work with the blade for 2-3 weeks before I feel tugging, but the quality of the shave goes down and when I put in a new blade, it's like "wow, I forgot how good a sharp blade is."

I'm still pretty new at this. Could it be some indicator of my technique that needs a
Improvement, or do some people just tear up blades? I would absolutely never win a beard growing contest.

I've used chicks and Japanese twin blades and experienced the same thing. There's no Ma I trance required, right? At the end of the shave, I just rinse the razor under the faucet and hang it on the brush/razor rack.

I've noticed that when I concentrate to keep the head flat in my face, the shaves are smoother and the blade lasts longer. Ride the cap, so to speak. Injectors will shave at a higher angle (blade edge to skin angle), but like I said before, riding the cap is the key for me.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Just had my first shave with a new-to-me Type L1 and Japanese twin blade. It was a good shave, but milder than I was expecting. I had heard that L's were mild, but I figure the twin blade would "wild it up" a bit. It was a nice close shave -- 2 passes plus a clean-up -- and very comfortable. I did feel like I had to have a steeper angle (lower handle) than I usually do with my Shick's. Does that sound right to folks? With my E3 and H1 I'm riding the proverbial cap, but I found myself off the cap with the L1 to get it to cut. Just curious. So far the H1 is still my favorite -- the L1 wasn't a bad shaver at all, but I tend to be more of a "wild" than "mild" guy.
Here's the pic of this inaugural shave:
IMG_1902.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

When I put a new injector blade in the razor, that first shave us amazingly efficient. By the 2nd or 3rd shave, I can still get a decent shave, but it's already noticeably less sharp. As others have posted about how long these blades last them, I can work with the blade for 2-3 weeks before I feel tugging, but the quality of the shave goes down and when I put in a new blade, it's like "wow, I forgot how good a sharp blade is."

I'm still pretty new at this. Could it be some indicator of my technique that needs a
Improvement, or do some people just tear up blades? I would absolutely never win a beard growing contest.

I've used chicks and Japanese twin blades and experienced the same thing. There's no Ma I trance required, right? At the end of the shave, I just rinse the razor under the faucet and hang it on the brush/razor rack.

I've noticed that when I concentrate to keep the head flat in my face, the shaves are smoother and the blade lasts longer. Ride the cap, so to speak. Injectors will shave at a higher angle (blade edge to skin angle), but like I said before, riding the cap is the key for me.

As @Galaktus says, most gents get the best shaves with injectors by riding the cap, that is keeping the blade as flat to the skin as possible. That allows the blade to cleanly cut the stubble, rather than scraping it off. That should extend blade life and provide more comfortable shaves.

At the end of my shaves, I just thoroughly rinse the razor, then wipe the outside with a towel.

Dear Sissies,

I am a fan of injector razors and I need some suggestions
I have and also tries these ones:
E2, G1, Adjustable M2, British Pal Injectomatic, O clone.

I am looking for 1 or 2 models to expand under 20- 40 usd. What else am I missing that could give an excellent shave ?

My prefered injector is the Schick Adjustable and the E2 (for its manual blade loading )

Thank you!!

Dear Sissies,

I am looking for 1 or 2 models to expand under 20- 40 usd. What else am I missing that could give an excellent shave ?

My prefered injector is the Schick Adjustable and the E2 (for its manual blade loading )

Thank you!!

Since you like the HydroMagic feature, try an I2, J3, or K. You should be able to find one in your price range, although shipping will add to the price.

Flintstone65

Dear Sissies,

Thank you!!
I would advocate for the H1 (Ladies Fashion Razor). It is a unique look and design, but it gives a truly excellent shave, in my opinion. It is also the perfect travel companion.

@xxvaleria

Great suggestion as always. The problem is that I can't recognise these models. I would like to try an I or J model actually.

@Flintstone65

This is a nice suggestion. Thank you. This model is actually easy to recognise and I say a video of it.

I could get one H1 if international shipping costs to Europe will be reasonable.

Thank you to both again!

I would advocate for the H1 (Ladies Fashion Razor). It is a unique look and design, but it gives a truly excellent shave, in my opinion. It is also the perfect travel companion.
These are quite rare on eBay in a good condition. I am kicking myself for not buying a mint condition one last year, but the sales price, shipping and custom charges made it a bit extreme.

@xxvaleria

Great suggestion as always. The problem is that I can't recognise these models. I would like to try an I or J model actually.

@Flintstone65

This is a nice suggestion. Thank you. This model is actually easy to recognise and I say a video of it.

I could get one H1 if international shipping costs to Europe will be reasonable.

Thank you to both again!
Check out the Appleby guide, it's on three websites and has been conjoined with Watts in the SE forum. Most informed sellers on eBay name the model correctly.

Flintstone65

Had my second shave with my Schick L1 and Japanese Schick Twin blade, and it was much better than the first....which is often the case when I'm trying out new stuff. Two passes and a spot touch-up, and the "baby" (aka BBS) had arrived.

One thing I did differently (i.e., smarter/better) was pay attention to my angle. On the first one, it was so smooth feeling that I steepened the angle until I had the "blade feel" I've grown accustom to when I use other SE's (like a lather catchers)....not smart. This time I "forced" myself to enjoy the smoothness of the razor, kept the angle shallow (i.e., rode the head/cap) and was rewarded with a seriously close and incredibly comfortable shave. I only had one moment of stupidity where I went ATG in an area in a careless manner and I got a minor bleeder. That is the challenge for ultra smooth shavers for me, I start hot-dogging with them because they are so comfortable, and ultimately it reminds me that it IS a cutting instrument and deserves respect.

Net net, I want to thank our head SISSY (@xxvaleria) for turning me on to the Japanese Twin blades. This thread has some age on it, but it's a great one to dive into if you're interested in these blades: Japanese Twin Injector Blades. And as always, I have to bow to the ingenuity and performance of the Schicks....so far they are still the razors that provide the closest and most comfortable shaves I have ever gotten.

Had my second shave with my Schick L1 and Japanese Schick Twin blade, and it was much better than the first....which is often the case when I'm trying out new stuff. Two passes and a spot touch-up, and the "baby" (aka BBS) had arrived.

One thing I did differently (i.e., smarter/better) was pay attention to my angle. On the first one, it was so smooth feeling that I steepened the angle until I had the "blade feel" I've grown accustom to when I use other SE's (like a lather catchers)....not smart. This time I "forced" myself to enjoy the smoothness of the razor, kept the angle shallow (i.e., rode the head/cap) and was rewarded with a seriously close and incredibly comfortable shave. I only had one moment of stupidity where I went ATG in an area in a careless manner and I got a minor bleeder. That is the challenge for ultra smooth shavers for me, I start hot-dogging with them because they are so comfortable, and ultimately it reminds me that it IS a cutting instrument and deserves respect.

Net net, I want to thank our head SISSY (@xxvaleria) for turning me on to the Japanese Twin blades. This thread has some age on it, but it's a great one to dive into if you're interested in these blades: Japanese Twin Injector Blades. And as always, I have to bow to the ingenuity and performance of the Schicks....so far they are still the razors that provide the closest and most comfortable shaves I have ever gotten.
Probably I might be the only one not enjoying the twin blade razors. I am using vintage Schick blades and I don't find them as smooth as the "chocks" plus they clog a lot between the space of the two blades.

Maybe I should try the twin blades from Japan.

Probably I might be the only one not enjoying the twin blade razors. I am using vintage Schick blades and I don't find them as smooth as the "chocks" plus they clog a lot between the space of the two blades.

Maybe I should try the twin blades from Japan.
My Japanese twin blades clogged. If I do you them in the future, I will dedicate a specific handle for them and only shave with two days growth.

Flintstone65

So I recently acquired a Schick Type A (pics below, of course). It is missing the loading cartridge -- any leads one of those would be greatly appreciated -- but I'm told by the former owner that it can be loaded carefully with a good set of needle nose pliers. I gave it a good cleaning and polishing (although it was nicely cleaned and polished before arriving here), and I haven't loaded it with a new blade yet (although it already has a blade loaded to make it easier to reload).

I've done some looking, but this injector model doesn't seem to get a lot of air time. Anyone have any advice before I "leap once more unto the breach"?
IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1908.jpg IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1906.jpg IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1904.jpg IMG_1903.jpg

So I recently acquired a Schick Type A (pics below, of course). It is missing the loading cartridge -- any leads one of those would be greatly appreciated -- but I'm told by the former owner that it can be loaded carefully with a good set of needle nose pliers. I gave it a good cleaning and polishing (although it was nicely cleaned and polished before arriving here), and I haven't loaded it with a new blade yet (although it already has a blade loaded to make it easier to reload).

I've done some looking, but this injector model doesn't seem to get a lot of air time. Anyone have any advice before I "leap once more unto the breach"?
View attachment 996829 View attachment 996830 View attachment 996831 View attachment 996832 View attachment 996833 View attachment 996834 View attachment 996835

Congratulations, Fred. It is possible to find NOS blades on eBay which include a loading tray, but be advised that they will be expensive, and their age will probably make them less than comfortable or efficient. What a lot of guys do is as your previous owner told you and load the blades manually. Just take a blade and manually slide it in from the right side of the razor, as you face it. These razors don't require that a blade be already loaded before inserting a new blade because they don't have blade retaining stops like the Type D and later models. Just be sure that the blade sits all the way back against the back of the shaving head because of the lack of blade stops.

I would recommend using something like needle-nosed pliers to avoid getting cut.

Flintstone65

Congratulations, Fred. It is possible to find NOS blades on eBay which include a loading tray, but be advised that they will be expensive, and their age will probably make them less than comfortable or efficient. What a lot of guys do is as your previous owner told you and load the blades manually. Just take a blade and manually slide it in from the right side of the razor, as you face it. These razors don't require that a blade be already loaded before inserting a new blade because they don't have blade retaining stops like the Type D and later models. Just be sure that the blade sits all the way back against the back of the shaving head because of the lack of blade stops.

I would recommend using something like needle-nosed pliers to avoid getting cut.
Thank you, that's great info and I appreciate the guidance!!! I'm working my way through a host of new acquisitions at the moment, but I'll be back here to let you and the fellow SISSIES know how my Type A shaves go.

Thanks again,
Fred

Okay, I found a bad thing about injectors. The blade longevity gives my RAD and Blade AD fits.....lol. Just did 10 shaves on a Schick Proline in a Schick Stick. Blade is still going strong. What to do? I like to try to 3017 my soaps, so switching soaps every day isn't my thing. Good thing I have a lot of brushes, and a soap killing Razorock F400 with a 34 mm knot.

Okay, I found a bad thing about injectors. The blade longevity gives my RAD and Blade AD fits.....lol. Just did 10 shaves on a Schick Proline in a Schick Stick. Blade is still going strong. What to do? I like to try to 3017 my soaps, so switching soaps every day isn't my thing. Good thing I have a lot of brushes, and a soap killing Razorock F400 with a 34 mm knot.

Keep going until the blade gives out. I don't know what your beard is like, but I generally get at least 25 shaves from a Chick blade and 50 shaves from a Japanese Schick twin.

Top Bottom