What's new

SoCal DE Newbie checking in.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hi, my name is Doug and I just wanted to check in and make my first posting.
At the beginning of the year I decided that instead of replacing my Norelco rotary head razor, I would look into wet shaving.

I first started shaving early 1970's with a very light beard, I think I used my dad's old brass Gillette DE a few times, a butterfly style is all I can remember. The Gillette Trak II was getting popular and I used one for many years, but the styptic pencil got used every day also. I have since used only electric razors for probably 30 years but have never been satisfied with the results. They always irritate my neck and do a poor job there also. And at $75-$150 every 3-4 years plus new heads that only last a couple of weeks, expensive and won't touch my 3-4 day old growth, necessitating a daily shave.

Now to my shaving rig, I only did a little research mainly on amazon and got The Amazon Choice which was the Viking Blades Chieftain at just under $40. They also sent me a tin of pre-shave at no cost.

1. My first shave 3 weeks ago I used the supplied mild blades and Barbasol in the can. I had watched a few video's and got through the first shave with only a few nicks, but it was far from comfortable.

2. The second week I got some Cremo, and Feather, Astra, and Derby blades to try.
I used the Astra and Cremo with better results.

3. The third week I tried the Derby blades once, got a very clean shave on my face and butchered my neck.
By now I had noticed the lack of reviews of my Chieftain on many of the forums, including this one, and ordered a Feather Popular with blades for $16. I tried it once nervously, and it felt the same way as with my Chieftain with Derby's----scary and lots of nicks.

4. End of week 3 using my Chieftain with Viking blades and rarely getting a good comfortable shave every 2 days, I saw a Geofatboy video on how to shave ATG with NO irritation. The technique involved holding the razor straight out at 90 degrees and tipping it slightly till the blade just thinly slices off the top of the hair without touching your face.
I grabbed my Feather and tried it DRY on a small patch of my face and chin and was very surprised the hair was gone and NO irritation.
By now I also have a Viking White Knight synthetic brush and a tub of Taylor Old Bond cream to try out.
5. I tried the Feather with the Hi Stainless blades supplied with the razor, the Viking brush and Taylor Old Bond lather holding the razor with my fingertips almost against the head with light pressure tipping it till the blade just barely touched my face, the comb no where near my face at all, listening for audible feedback( a new term to me). I gently rocked it under my neck re-lathered a few times and got a DFS with no nicks or cuts at all!!!
MY FIRST DFS!!! Even a few of my buddies at work noticed my clean shave.

6. Yesterday I tried the Chieftain using the same technique and have put it back in it's very nice suede leather case. It is after all, a very beautiful razor and looks very well crafted.

7. OK, so by now I have determined my face is sensitive, my beard is not heavy but my hair is coarse. I measured it with a micrometer .003-.004" thick, hey, I am a machinist!

Good quality shaving products such as Cremo, Taylor Old Bond really do help.

Also a brush is a must for wet shaving.

Pre-shave creams, undecided.

Aftershave balm, any recommendations?

8. I feel a bout of RAD coming over me and I am on the fence here and completely open to suggestions, please keep in mind that I plan on using Feather Hi Stainless and Astra blades for my coarse hair. These are in the running for a mild newbie razor.
A. Gillette Ball End Tech 1955-1970, the 57-59's look nice to me.
B. Rockwell 6C
C. EJ89
D. Merkur 34c
E. ??????
F. Feather AS-D2

Thanks for being here
My dad passed a long time ago so I can't ask him for shaving advise.
I also have my grandpa's Joseph Rodger's & Sons SE razor and Raven honing stone.

Rosseforp

For vintage, I really like the combination of a sharp blade like the Feathers with the Gillette Techs or early Superspeeds. I like the pre-war Techs with the Fat Handle but the others work well also. Both of these can be had for a reasonable amount in very good condition.

A new production razor you may want to check out is the Christopher Bradley by Karve Razor. It's machined from solid brass in Canada and has different base plates to adjust aggressiveness. Slightly more expensive than some of the ones you mentioned but not outrageous and top-notch quality.

Welcome to B&B.
Keep working on technique till you get consistent results; the Chieftain looks like a Baili which is a mild razor. Use the Chieftain on a regular basis and you will get good results with it. The Astra SP is liked by many but try some blade samples to find your preferred blades.
Blade angle is important so work on that; Geofatboy demonstrates a steep blade angle and you will find a neutral blade angle more effective at cutting the stubble especially on the mild razors. This may help; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
A pre-shave cream is not necessary if have a good lather worked in on the stubble. Nivea is a good aftershave balm and readily available.

Welcome to the club, Doug. Glad to have you aboard. I really like my Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades, but I also like my EJ DE89 with Feather blades. Feathers work extremely well in mild razors.

Welcome to Badger and Blade Doug.
The Ball End Tech is my daily driver and paired with an Astra, Personna Lab Blue or even a Feather Blade, provides a very close and comfortable shave.

Welcome to B&B.
Keep working on technique till you get consistent results; the Chieftain looks like a Baili which is a mild razor. Use the Chieftain on a regular basis and you will get good results with it. The Astra SP is liked by many but try some blade samples to find your preferred blades.
Blade angle is important so work on that; Geofatboy demonstrates a steep blade angle and you will find a neutral blade angle more effective at cutting the stubble especially on the mild razors. This may help; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
A pre-shave cream is not necessary if have a good lather worked in on the stubble. Nivea is a good aftershave balm and readily available.
+1 on the above :thumbup1:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Welcome to B&B.

Thank you for the reply Invicta,
As I viewed the Badger & Blade angle drawing, pictures 6 and 7 most closely resemble the angle that worked for me with my Feather Popular and Hi Stainless blades. It did not work with my Chieftain and the Viking blades.
Upon comparison I noticed the projection of the blade is greater on the Feather Popular which would explain the different angle needed. I am going to let my face rest a few days and then use the cheap plastic Feather Popular that so far has given me my best shave while I refine my technique and report back.
Thanks also for the Nivea suggestion, I was planning on trying that also!
Rosseforp

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Welcome to Badger and Blade Doug.
The Ball End Tech is my daily driver and paired with an Astra, Personna Lab Blue or even a Feather Blade, provides a very close and comfortable shave.

+1 on the above :thumbup1:
Thank you ccpastork, can you recommend a reliable vendor that I can get a Ball End Tech from?
Rosseforp

Thank you ccpastork, can you recommend a reliable vendor that I can get a Ball End Tech from?
Rosseforp
Buy from a forum member is best, but the great thing about Techs is they don't brrak, clog, or ever need "revamp'. Buying off eBay is not really tricky when it comes to Techs.

Techs require good technique to perform at their best which I why I prefer to recommend them over the 34C or EJ89 which may seem better at first because they allow wider angle, but ultimately they are not better razors (and they do break).

For a new razor I recommend the Razorock DE1/Teck2. It's not brass but it is a well built take on the Tech which I find superior in a lot of ways. It's $4.99 right now.

I'm in the San Fernando Valley.

Welcome Doug. You can already forget about anything but RAD from now on. The wife has put me on an open ended sabbatical because of all my AD's. I still sneak something in once a week for giggles.

In the razors you listed I don't see a bad one. It's going to be about technique, the right razor with the right blade for you. Also, I can't emphasize how a well made lather can make your shave perfect.

I also agree with looking in the B-S-T forum on here. The members sell stuff at a great price, most of the time they throw in little extras for no other reason that they want you to have the best DE shave you can and the prices are more than fair. There is always something in there worth looking at. In fact, every razor I own except one came from BST. And I'm up to 8 or 9 now...I'm afraid to go count because it may be 10!!

Work your technique and play with soaps. You can buy soap really cheap in BST too. Use them a few times and if you don't like them, you can sell them or do a PIF just for fun.

Glad your here. Keep us posted. I love reading about guys getting their best shave on. It's a sickness. You get it after decades of being screwed by the big razor companies.

NT

BTW...I've never mic'd a beard hair before. LOL. Now, you know I'm going to measure mine, and then I'm going to have to try and explain that to the wife. She won't get it, but I love to frustrate that woman. It's part of my charm. She doesn't call it charm though.

NT

Welcome aboard!!

My key suggestion is to focus on your technique until that is reasonably solid! Read through the Wiki and watch some videos. Try to limit the number of variables by sticking with one set-up for now.

Once you feel confident and get consistent results, then you can start changing one thing at a time.

Rosseforp

As some have suggested already, check the BST, you will likely find a good deal with no hassle. The big auction site is not a bad option if you are patient, deals can be found.

The other option is check out local antique stores or thrift stores. A little Scrubbing Bubbles (w/o bleach), some warm water with DAwn dish soap and a toothbrush will make it clean and then a light polish with toothpaste or Flitz. If it is gold plated, go very lightly on the polishing, the gold plating is pretty thin.

Let us know how it goes.

By the way, I also have the Merkur 34C HD and it is a great razor, shaves very much like the old Gillette Techs.

Techs require good technique to perform at their best which I why I prefer to recommend them over the 34C or EJ89 which may seem better at first because they allow wider angle, but ultimately they are not better razors (and they do break).

For a new razor I recommend the Razorock DE1/Teck2. It's not brass but it is a well built take on the Tech which I find superior in a lot of ways. It's $4.99 right now.

My Mamba is like this. Very, very narrow window. Doesn't bite when the angle is off, just doesn't cut. Get the angle spot on and it will reward you with great efficiency. Makes you appreciate the technique required to DE shave much more imo.

So I'd second this recommendation of the RR DE1/Tech 2, at that price you have nothing to lose.

Top Bottom