What's new

SOC vs Gallahad boar

Been breaking in new SOC boar for 10 days. Been breaking in just by using it. It has gone faster than expected. This brush has less backbone than my Gallahad by a fair amount even though it has a 2mm larger not. I believe the height of these two brushes is the same.
I chose the SOC over the C5 Torga because I bowl lather an the C5 seemed like it may have been a little shorter than I may gave liked. Is the difference just a lot to lot variation in bristle stiffness or is there any other variable to cause the differences in these brushes,? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• 20221208_214451.jpg
    20221208_214451.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 41

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have 2 Galahads and 2 SOCs. Both Galahads are less dense than both (either of the) SOCs. One of the SOCs is extremely stiff and the other I would call ‘normal’. Assuming that boar knots are consistent, knot to knot, within a model or even a brand is probably not very accurate based on my limited experience.

COmparing the Torga C5 to the SOC, I prefer the shorter lofted C5, it has better presence on the face, & the shorter loft keeps it from splaying as much as the SOC. The SOC is not dense enough, IMHO.

The SOC boar will continue to get softer the more you use it.

The C5 boar has very similar type of bristles to the SOC, but the knot being more compact, it keeps its shape and feels more firm on the face. My C5 boar took quite a while to break in, though, maybe 40-50 cycles were required to get through the break-in process completely.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
COmparing the Torga C5 to the SOC, I prefer the shorter lofted C5, it has better presence on the face, & the shorter loft keeps it from splaying as much as the SOC. The SOC is not dense enough, IMHO.
Since the Op bowl lathers, I wouldn't expect less splay to be an advantage. From your description I would expect the C5 to be the better face lathering brush.

I have 2 Galahads and 2 SOCs. Both Galahads are less dense than both (either of the) SOCs. One of the SOCs is extremely stiff and the other I would call ‘normal’. Assuming that boar knots are consistent, knot to knot, within a model or even a brand is probably not very accurate based on my limited experience.
I don't know if your SOCs are the same grade, but I noticed recently that a vendor had them with Pure Boar and Special, with Special being more expensive and containing 90% tops.

Top Bottom