What's new

SOC Boar or SOC Boar/Super Badger?

SOC Boar or SOC Boar/Super Badger?
I’m looking at buying one of two SOC Taj resin brushes: one is all boar that includes what the company’s special grade 90% tops. The other Taj handle SOC is a blend of special 90% tops and Semogue’s two-band badger. I have a choice, but I really need an assist from owners of these SOC brushes. If one had a choice, which of the two would you say is the more comfortable on one’s skin? I don’t like scritchy brushes, I don’t need a brush that will scrub my face; I bowl load my brush and face-lather after loading. I’ve used boars and some best-badger brushes over my many decades of chasing the one brush that has eluded my Discover. Your experience and opinions will be appreciated. --Thank you.

SOC Boar/Super Badger
aka SOC Mistura

There's heaps of praise for the SOC Mistura in this thread: Mistura May Madness

Personally I wouldn't dream of having another Semogue boar (one was enough to confirm my dislike). BUT... I do have a Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura (just a little smaller than the SOC) and it's my ALL TIME FAVORITE SHAVING BRUSH.
SOTD-L-Y_2021-06-09.jpg
:001_wub:

Cal
aka SOC Mistura

There's heaps of praise for the SOC Mistura in this thread: Mistura May Madness

Personally I wouldn't dream of having another Semogue boar (one was enough to confirm my dislike). BUT... I do have a Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura (just a little smaller than the SOC) and it's my ALL TIME FAVORITE SHAVING BRUSH.
View attachment 1279381 :001_wub:

Cal, a little smaller would really suit me. I prefer brushes smaller than the standard SOC. I had a boar SOC years ago and the thing never did it for me. The bristles never broke in. I sent it to a friend and told him it was his. He thanked after using it; his thank you was a digital salute! I thought, perhaps, their boar SOCs might have changed. Time to look into mixed Semogue brushes. Thanks.

Found the brush: $52 + shipping. Now I've got it.

Last edited:
Found the brush: $52 + shipping. Now I've got it.
:thumbup1: Let's know when it arrives, and what you think of it, Roger.

They are reputed lather monsters and most people report that they are great straight out of the box. That was (and still is) the case with me for sure.

If a little smaller then;
Torga C3
or
Galahad C3

Don't fear the IT Boar, it evolves into a ridiculous luxurious shave.
View media item 66051
:thumbup1: Let's know when it arrives, and what you think of it, Roger.

They are reputed lather monsters and most people report that they are great straight out of the box. That was (and still is) the case with me for sure.

Gentlemen--
The trio of Torga C3 brushes makes a lovely family photo. Kudos to their clean-shavin' overseer. I'll be sure to report my findings with the C3. I'm likely to do a couple or three palm lathers to get the feel of the knot and for an initial break-in. I've had a couple Edwin Jagger super badger brushes and they never failed to disappoint. I've stayed with boar brushes ever since: Semogue (tried many, no joy from Semogue boars) and Omega (my preferred boar brushes, the bristles are a tad softer, the tips a bit finer, and the break-in happens in a couple weeks at most) are the brushes I've been using for the past 10 years. I'm looking forward to the Semogue Torga-c3 Finest Mistura. I ordered it from Pasteur's in Manhattan; and it should be arriving before week's end.

A sincere "Thank you" for the collective assist, guys. I'm excited to see the quality of my lather with the C3.

Reactions: Cal
Well done. Looking forward to your thoughts. :thumbup:

Pasteur's has a 15% Father's Day discount that I immediately to 2nd-day FedEx shipping. The things we do for the things we do. Never let it be said that we don't, on occasion, spoil ourselves. Thank you, again. --Roger

Gentlemen, the Torga C-3 Finest Mistura arrived today. Of course, I had to feel it against my face straight out of the box. My first thought? It feels like a new Semogue's 620--say it ain't so. I soaked it in hottish water for about an hour, loaded the brush, and palm lathered; repeated the process; and then used a hair dryer on the bristles. Soaked it again for about 10 minutes, loaded the brush with lather and began face lathering. Within a several hours the bristles and tips had softened, and it made a boatload--how much volume is a boatload?--of lather. I took it from bowl to face and made very creamy lather, much creamier than my favored boar, Omega 10066; and far more comfortably than my Jagger super badger. I quite like size of the brush, knot and handle. The size makes for precise placement of lather. The mild scrubbiness of this knot are actually comfortable to use. If I like it now, I look forward to see what the coming weeks bring. I'll palm lather the brush daily as I continue breaking in the C-3

There was so much lather in the brush I was able to build a lot lather without returning to the bowl for a partial loading. There was a hint of scritch in the bristles, only a hint, that I think may dissipate after x number of uses. Was it a good by? For me, yes! And now that I've gone through the process of processing the brush for ready-set-lather, I'm looking forward to pressing it into service. Almost forgot, for the price, this is the most comfortable and best badger brush I've owned; and like many of us, I've had lots of badger brushes, boar brushes, and a few synthetics over decades of searching for the Satori of shaving gear. This brush gear that has found a home.

Thank you, Cal and Old School. With friends like this... my Discover card has been reborn; and I'm looking forward to my next shave, and the next one, and...

Those brushes with mistura knots, they have a very real addictive quality to them. I received one by mistake once, was expecting to receive a boar brush and got the mistura instead... now I have three!

Those brushes with mistura knots, they have a very real addictive quality to them. I received one by mistake once, was expecting to receive a boar brush and got the mistura instead... now I have three!

This Semogue C-3 Torga Mistura is an incredible brush: it improves in feel and at creating an exceptional lather. I can see and feel the difference within one week use after dutifully prepping it between and before shaving. This brush can only improve with time/use. Cal, your advice did it, brother; and old_school, you saw me on the precipice and gave me the nudge I needed. Again, thank you, gentlemen. The performance and feel of this knot come about quickly with repeated use.

And, yes, I can see how Semogue's Mistura brushes could easily become addictive. I'm a minimalist with respect to shave gear. After years of gathering 'stuff. and then more stuff' for shaving, I decided to thin out my gear, keeping the kit that I actually like and enjoy using. But don't be fooled, I've looked at the other C-3 Mistura brushes--of course, I wear a strand of garlic when looking at them as Elmer Gantry dressed like Sinclair Lewis performs something akin to an exorcism.

Graduation photo attached.

Attachments

• C-3.jpg
    C-3.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 13
This Semogue C-3 Torga Mistura is an incredible brush: it improves in feel and at creating an exceptional lather. I can see and feel the difference within one week use after dutifully prepping it between and before shaving. This brush can only improve with time/use. Cal, your advice did it, brother; and old_school, you saw me on the precipice and gave me the nudge I needed. Again, thank you, gentlemen. The performance and feel of this knot come about quickly with repeated use.

And, yes, I can see how Semogue's Mistura brushes could easily become addictive. I'm a minimalist with respect to shave gear. After years of gathering 'stuff. and then more stuff' for shaving, I decided to thin out my gear, keeping the kit that I actually like and enjoy using. But don't be fooled, I've looked at the other C-3 Mistura brushes--of course, I wear a strand of garlic when looking at them as Elmer Gantry dressed like Sinclair Lewis performs something akin to an exorcism.

Graduation photo attached.
If I would only own these 3 brushes and abstain from the enablers on B&B life would be easy and my shaves would be still exceptional.
Trinity —> Mistura/Finest/Boar something for every occasion
249FCD8F-37B8-4BBF-8D83-8E057CE1109A.jpeg

This Semogue C-3 Torga Mistura is an incredible brush ...
That's a great update Roger, thank you. :thumbup1:

I've used ONLY my Torga-C3 Finest Mistura since May 14, and I ain't really that interested in going back to any of my other excellent (but nowhere near as good as the Mistura) brushes.

Yesterday's SOTD:
SOTD-L-Y_2021-06-18.jpg
:001_wub:

That's a great update Roger, thank you. :thumbup1:

I've used ONLY my Torga-C3 Finest Mistura since May 14, and I ain't really that interested in going back to any of my other excellent (but nowhere near as good as the Mistura) brushes.

Yesterday's SOTD:
View attachment 1284010 :001_wub:

Cal, had you not mentioned this brush with such conviction, I would never have considered getting one. I have one other brush I like, but it's been inactive since I began using the Mistura. Time to give the other brush an extended sabbatical. The Torga C-3 Finest Mistura has a progressive break-in that I find compelling-it improves a lot with each use as does my appreciation. I really enjoy using this brush. When a piece of gear gets me excited about this shave, and the next shave... it's become a part of my my shave kit. I really like my razor, blades, soap, and now my brush. No reason to pursue trail-and-error goods. I have enough of that in my shave history. By the way, really nice photographic work, lighting, and set design, too.

• Love
Reactions: Cal
Top Bottom