What's new

Sober October

Anyone else doing sober October? My wife and I decided to take the month off as we may have been getting a little heavy with the bourbon drinking during the pandemic. I have done this intermittently anyway because I figure if I can't stop for a month I need to stop for a month....

I didn't know this was a thing. Seeing as how there's only 3 days left, the odds are you in your favor. :)

Seriously though, good for the intermittent check. Hope you have a nice bottle ready to celebrate the accomplishment in a few days.

We are off the booze until Dec. My wife, two adult kids and I. No booze in the house.

We have a cottage and drink fairly heavily on weekends from May to mid October, so our livers need a break. I love my cocktails, wine and IPAs, but I usually try to give my liver a rest from mid Oct to just before Christmas. Doesn’t always take, but I usually go at least a month.

Last edited:
No, I am not. Not in the time of COVID, anyway. But I like your thinking that if you can't stop for a month, you need to stop, maybe for more than a month.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I did it between months September & October. Took about 4 weeks off. Can’t say I felt any different though.

My date was April 17, 2006.

If I have one drink in a month, it was a big month.
I had a glass of Dom Perignon a month ago because it was Dom Perignon. I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. That is the only adult beverage in nearly 4 years. I think if I had a single malt scotch, I would be out buying a bottle of McCallan! I did enjoy sipping a scotch. But, the health benefits of not drinking far outweigh any desire. I quickly lost 25lbs and my blood pressure dropped into a perfectly healthy level after I stopped. I really don't miss it. Besides, I now get to be everyone's designated driver!

Interesting. No, not abstaining, but significantly reduced things to no more than a couple of glasses on a Friday and / or Saturday night. I found my wife and I having a glass to regularly each evening during this season of life and we wanted to be a bit more healthy in our approach, even though neither of us felt we were overdoing it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My date was April 17, 2006.

If I have one drink in a month, it was a big month.
I had a glass of Dom Perignon a month ago because it was Dom Perignon. I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. That is the only adult beverage in nearly 4 years. I think if I had a single malt scotch, I would be out buying a bottle of McCallan! I did enjoy sipping a scotch. But, the health benefits of not drinking far outweigh any desire. I quickly lost 25lbs and my blood pressure dropped into a perfectly healthy level after I stopped. I really don't miss it. Besides, I now get to be everyone's designated driver!

Laphroaig was my Whisky of choice. ;)

I'll have ONE drink if it's a special occasion. Had an extra dry Titos martini back in September when I took my Bride out for our anniversary.

My Bride laughs herself silly whenever I end up being the designated driver for my friends.

Laphroaig was my Whisky of choice. ;)

I'll have ONE drink if it's a special occasion. Had an extra dry Titos martini back in September when I took my Bride out for our anniversary.

My Bride laughs herself silly whenever I end up being the designated driver for my friends.
If I had a martini right now, I would be liquored and would need that designated driver! I did enjoy a martini too!

Top Bottom