What's new

Sober October

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I never had kidney stones until I quit drinking beer. Then I had several, two times required surgical removal. Much fun!

I now drink about a beer every 3 days on average. Some days 2 beers, some weeks not at all.

I REALLY was worried about starting a beer habit; when I quit cold turkey I was drinking 24 beers in 24 hours, and didn't start drinking until about 8pm, so yeah, I might be an alcoholic redneck, lol!

I have not had a kidney stone since March of 2017 or 18? I can't remember right now because I've been drinking all day! (Sorry bad joke...)

I now no longer worry about being a drunk; that life is behind me: behold! All things have become new! The reasons I drank to excess no longer apply. And for a few years after I quit I was a "dry drunk."

I say all this to impart these truly priceless words of wisdom (tho feel free to pay me any donation you want!) : If you were like me and had to have a few drinks BEFORE you went out to have a few drinks: you might have a "thinking problem."

I never had kidney stones until I quit drinking beer. Then I had several, two times required surgical removal. Much fun!

I now drink about a beer every 3 days on average. Some days 2 beers, some weeks not at all.

I REALLY was worried about starting a beer habit; when I quit cold turkey I was drinking 24 beers in 24 hours, and didn't start drinking until about 8pm, so yeah, I might be an alcoholic redneck, lol!

I have not had a kidney stone since March of 2017 or 18? I can't remember right now because I've been drinking all day! (Sorry bad joke...)

I now no longer worry about being a drunk; that life is behind me: behold! All things have become new! The reasons I drank to excess no longer apply. And for a few years after I quit I was a "dry drunk."

I say all this to impart these truly priceless words of wisdom (tho feel free to pay me any donation you want!) : If you were like me and had to have a few drinks BEFORE you went out to have a few drinks: you might have a "thinking problem."
:thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I figure if I can't stop for a month I need to stop for a month....

That's a pretty good reason to give it a shot!

By sober do you mean abstain?

Well, I think the general idea is one of abstaining from intoxicants for the month. But of course you won't have USADA testing your blood for illegal substances randomly during the month, so it's up to the individual participant how they interpret the concept.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I figure if I can't stop for a month I need to stop for a month....

I figure that, if I need to stop for a month, then I need to stop for a lot longer than a month.

I certainly understand the health benefits, though. I have no doubt that the extra pounds I carry around are largely the result of drinking.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I figure that, if I need to stop for a month, then I need to stop for a lot longer than a month.

Probably yes.

But hopefully being able to stop for a month will keep one on an even keel, and confirm not needing to stop for a lot longer.

I have done dry January for a few years now. I took about three weeks off recently since I took a fall. Had stitches in my mouth and lip. I’m mostly healed so I have been enjoying an adult beverage or three some nights.

I decided to take a week off. Week turned into 2 weeks. 2 weeks turned into a month, etc.

Have taken off a little over 40 lbs since the beginning of the year. Can’t imagine not going through covid dry. I think I would have pickled myself pretty good.

Looking forward to allowing myself a drink or two when I feel like it after the year mark.

I've done dry Januaries in the past and when we were first married I went dry during Ramadan. Never felt any better or worse at the end of the period. I did shed a bit of weight but nothing significant.

The industry I am in (reinsurance) tends towards alcohol, even these days!

I started my dry January in December. I took a fall a couple months ago and got a concussion. After healing up and getting stitches removed I started having my evening cocktail again. I wasn’t sleeping well, had headaches and was generally grumpy and depressed. I was diagnosed with post concussive syndrome. Dr said to cut out alcohol, caffeine and get more exercise. I started that day. Three weeks in and I’m sleeping like a log, blood pressure is back to 120/75 . Wife says I’m more happy and playful. She’s rewarding me for my efforts. Nudge nudge, wink wink 😉 life is good! I’m sure some day in the future I’ll have a beer or wine. Possibly a nice single malt. for now though sparkling water is my drink of choice.

I was watching a UK TV stream last night and there was an ad for Gordon's alcohol-free gin. I had to look it up today to prove to myself that I wasn't hallucinating: true enough, it's a real product. What an odd idea. At the weekend I had been watching the BBC's Saturday Kitchen which featured non- or low-alcohol drinks and one caught my eye: Everleaf Forest. It's a blend of various botanicals that you can serve with mixers but it's not trying to be a gin. I would far rather have something like that.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Everleaf Forest. It's a blend of various botanicals that you can serve with mixers but it's not trying to be a gin. I would far rather have something like that
Indeed.

I eat a ketogenic diet, the main idea of which is to cut out carbs. You see lots of people trying to be really creative with almond flour and coconut flour to come up with "keto pizza" and "keto pancakes" and so forth ... none of which are ever anywhere close to the wheat flour original.

Caffeine free coffee ... alcohol free wine (and gin!) ... and so forth: all the extra effort to find the intricate workaround to remove the essential element results in an overproduced and underwhelming result.

Top Bottom