What's new

Soapy Science (Hannah's 8th grade science project)

So, this soap has been widely discussed on another forum, but I feel it needs wider exposure.
Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated with the project, or the maker (other than a happy customer and sample tester).
Hannah (8th grader from Georgia) solicited for testers last year for shaving soap she was developing for her school science project. Some of the testing samples were below standard for average soaps, but a couple showed promise and I still use those samples occasionally.
But this new formula has really stepped up and is the final incarnation of the soap made for the science project (from testing feedback) and is now available for sale to the general public. She has three scents available (plus unscented): Mint mint, Lollipop Citrus, and "Doc's" Special blend.
I know most of us don't "need" any more soaps, but the proceeds from sales go towards charity, so I grabbed all three scents.

I used the "Doc's Special Blend" this morning. The mint is right up front off the puck and during the shave, but the vetiver adds a little smokey depth to round out the scent, and the citrus lingers slightly. I don't normally like a smokey/dirty vetiver, but this is truly sublime.
proxy.php

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It definitely sounds like a soap with promise that will compete with the big names. Plus it has tallow listed as the first ingredient! And from an 8th grader!! Looked at their website & checked out the videos posted. Very nice. I imagine by 9th grade this student will have a full blown business. America!

I do keep hearing good things about Soapy Science! I also keep saying how I feel that my 8th grade science experience was definitely not that cool!

Thanks for your thoughts!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It definitely sounds like a soap with promise that will compete with the big names. Plus it has tallow listed as the first ingredient! And from an 8th grader!! Looked at their website & checked out the videos posted. Very nice. I imagine by 9th grade this student will have a full blown business. America!
My thoughts exactly. I hope I live long enough to vote for her for POTUS.

I had my third shave with the retail formulation this morning.
This is an outstanding soap. For me, it easily competes with wholly kaw, CRSW select, MW, and B&M. It makes a dense, shiny, unctuous lather and the scents are the perfect strength.
Packaging is also great, with a sturdy plastic wide-mouth container, head room so you can load easily, and a waterproof label.
The soap is harder than most artisan soaps, so I think these pucks will last a long time. Also, you get 5 oz of soap versus the more standard 4 oz. Entry price might seem a bit steep when you first see it , but given a larger volume, harder soap, sturdy jar, and contributions to charity, I think the price is completely reasonable.

Oh, and the lather is phenomenal.

I just ordered the unscented one. As a former high school chemistry teacher, I just had to show my support!

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

I have reviewed this soap if your interested.
"DOC'S SPECIAL BLEND" - 5 oz SHAVING SOAP in JAR

This soap is really a great thing.

Its bright and earthy in a warm way.

It has a natural nature kind of feeling.

Scent strength is really nice 5 out of 5 like walking through a mint patch in a forest it is really refreshing.

A good wake up soap in the morning.

The lather and cushion are supreme 5 out of 5.

I found this to be a bit thirsty so give it plenty of water and it will love you.

Slickness is 4 out of 5 and residual slickness 3 out of 5 but still good enough for a bit of blade buffing.

This is the most creamy, buttery, and luxurious soap that I have used and the 5oz will last a loooooong time.

I consider this a superb soap if you’re looking for a fantastic feeling lather and exceptional post shave feel.

The closest thing I can think to relate it to would be haslingers.

This soap will make your face feel rich you won’t be disappointed.

So, this soap has been widely discussed on another forum, but I feel it needs wider exposure.
Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated with the project, or the maker (other than a happy customer and sample tester).
Hannah (8th grader from Georgia) solicited for testers last year for shaving soap she was developing for her school science project. Some of the testing samples were below standard for average soaps, but a couple showed promise and I still use those samples occasionally.
But this new formula has really stepped up and is the final incarnation of the soap made for the science project (from testing feedback) and is now available for sale to the general public. She has three scents available (plus unscented): Mint mint, Lollipop Citrus, and "Doc's" Special blend.
I know most of us don't "need" any more soaps, but the proceeds from sales go towards charity, so I grabbed all three scents.

I used the "Doc's Special Blend" this morning. The mint is right up front off the puck and during the shave, but the vetiver adds a little smokey depth to round out the scent, and the citrus lingers slightly. I don't normally like a smokey/dirty vetiver, but this is truly sublime.
proxy.php

What forum was this discussed on so I can find it?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Curious as to what happened to this soap maker. I was perusing their website and it seems that everything is Out of Stock and no updates since around August.

Edit: A Google search led me to another forum where they explained that they are relocating to Colorado and will be resuming soap making in December.

I've come across the Soapy Science soaps recently and they've been intriguing. It seems like their daughter (Hannah) got into soap making as a science project and developed a great formula/scent which led to the small batch business. From the ingredients list, I see a lot of good stuff and I'm excited to try them out. I don't have the best times with new scents so I went for unscented and their citrus scent.

What are your experiences with Soapy Science soaps? Have you tried them or what have you heard about them?

Just got couple of their soaps! Excited to try them out. Lollipop Citrus and unscented. I think they stuffed the L.C with the leftovers because that's definitely not 5oz. More like 6.5oz. Not complaining. :)

IMG_20191209_203916676~2.jpg

IMG_20191209_203930459~2.jpgIMG_20191209_203951486~2.jpg

Come back with a review once you've had a chance to use them. I have Lollipop Citrus, Mint Mint, and Doc's Special Blend all firmly in the rotation. All of them make the same great lather.

Full disclosure: Doc's Special Blend is named for me. I'm the "Doc" in the title. The reason is that I was one of the testers for the science project, and I just loved this scent! Apparently I raved about it so much that they decided to call it my "special blend." Make no mistake, though, Hannah and her family came up with the scent. I just enjoyed it.

Top Bottom