What's new

Soapstone

I used to work concrete construction and we often did jobs for out-of-staters who would sell their home in CA and buy land and build a big fancy house here in Montana. One of the builds required us to pour a pretty serious foundation block within the walls of the house for what I learned later was the foundation for a tulikivi. The home owner stopped by when we were tearing out forms and explained the tulikivi and the tons of soapstone that were set to be delivered for it. He went on to describe how the company that sells them mailed him a chunk of granite, a chunk of marble and a chunk of soapstone with instructions to heat them all in the oven then place them out and monitor how long each stays hot. Apparently the clear winner is soapstone and the tulikivi works by heating up soapstone to radiate heat continuously, long after the fire is out.

Once I got into SR shaving I searched for a soapstone bowl to keep my lather warm. To this day I'm shocked how this doesn't seem to be a thing in the shaving community. I do have my soapstone bowl but often they are sold for incense burning and smudging instead of shaving.

Anyway, I just thought I would share as I think soapstone is a greatly overlooked addition to the wet shaving world. I either add boiling water to mine or heat up water in it in the microwave for 2 minutes and I have hot lather for my entire shave.

Where abouts in Montana? I did a number of move in cleanings around Missoula last summer. The folks moving were all from CA and Seattle, go figure. But a number of homes had these in them. They seem a very good way to heat. I have some chunks of soapstone around somewhere, purchased for a project I never actually got around to doing. If I can find one maybe I'll have a try at making a new lather bowl.

Where abouts in Montana? I did a number of move in cleanings around Missoula last summer. The folks moving were all from CA and Seattle, go figure. But a number of homes had these in them. They seem a very good way to heat. I have some chunks of soapstone around somewhere, purchased for a project I never actually got around to doing. If I can find one maybe I'll have a try at making a new lather bowl.
My boss mainly worked rural jobs from around Missoula to Salmon, to St Regis. There’s always been some retirement demographic that flee to MT, but this remote work is pretty well killing my State. Can’t hardly afford to live here anymore.

What an idea! First time I heard that. Sounds like a crowd funding venture?
Ha! If only. I’m not much of a salesman and already keep myself in the poor house as a knifemaker. 30yrs of making knives, I think I’m pretty decent, but I’m too antisocial to make any money.

Feel free to run with the idea. After your first million Id appreciate a complimentary bowl for the idea!

I do not know about the thermal mass of soapstone, but it is non-porous, chemically resistant, and highly resistant to cracking. Thus, it would probably be a great material for producing a shaving bowl. It it is also a great heat sink, that would be even better.

My boss mainly worked rural jobs from around Missoula to Salmon, to St Regis. There’s always been some retirement demographic that flee to MT, but this remote work is pretty well killing my State. Can’t hardly afford to live here anymore.
Tell me about it. My wife and I worked hard for 10 years to get into a position we could buy a nice house and as soon as we finally got there the market went nuts.

While living in Michigan, I remember using a square soapstone product, heated in a fireplace or oven, to insert in boots to dry them out.

I have one of these but haven't used it in a long time, a little too narrow.
1678976626067.png

Top Bottom