What's new

Soaps you use sparingly, for when they're gone…

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Mine would be a Fine Lavender Pour Homme hard puck, my favourite soap. Unfortunately I don't think they'll be bringing it back

I’ve got a tub of Acqua di Parma Colonia soap and the aftershave and balm. For special days once in a blue moon.
proxy.php

Luckily not in that situation yet!

I do have a tub of Stirling Pumpkin Spice (their 2nd formula) and I do know last season they reverted back to their first formula. There is a chance that my particular batch won't be the same in the future.

I too have a couple of containers of Strop Shoppe with Tallow, which I really like. Also, I Coloniali Mango, which is a really nice cream soap. Too bad they aren't making it anymore.

I have a lot of soaps that are unobtanium and can not be replaced. Most of them I still use anyways since a puck of soap seems to never end and have only finished samples for the most part. Here are a few that are great soaps:

I Coloniali
Vintage Royal London
Vintage Yardely
Grandstaff Soap Co.
Smitten Soapery
Smitefull Soaps
Square One Soapworks (discontinued scents from Gustafsons)
Grooming Dept- older scents Wonderland, Chypre Donkey, Aether, etc.
Local Gent
Vintage Williams
Dapper Dragon
Wickhams Soap Smooth
Soap Smooth/Paladin
QCS
Honeybee Soaps
First Canadian
Envy Shave

The list goes on. If it's a soap you enjoy you may as well use it since you can't take it with you when you leave this world and it's good to use products you enjoy using. Sure it's sad to not be able to get more of a particular favorite product but there are SOOO many options out there to choose from.

I have the same habit with my tools. I always figure that if I have duplicates and have to store one, I shouldn't use up valuable storage space storing crap, and if I lose or wear out a tool I'd rather it be the crappy one. The result is that I'm normally using my crappiest tools.
This is kind of like the Peter Principle, which states that in any organization, a person is promoted until he/she reaches a job that he/she cannot perform competently, and then they stay in that position. Therefore, at any one time, almost everybody in an organization is doing a job that can't do adequately.

This idea of "saving" a soap or a razor makes absolutely no sense to me. My thought process is the exact opposite: use the stuff you like the most and enjoy it now! You might not even be around to enjoy it later. Or, it may lose some of the qualities that you really like about it between now and the time you get to it. What's the point of saving something that is meant to be used?

Mine would be a Fine Lavender Pour Homme hard puck, my favourite soap. Unfortunately I don't think they'll be bringing it back

My favorite soap also! The aftershave was a bit too weak to recommend, but the aroma and feel of this soap is great. Since the manufacturer went out of business, it definitely won't come back in the hard puck form.

It's a copy of this:

US$35...and I have seen some complaints about Fine prices :confused1

SRD West Indies Bay - if I use a small brush I may be able to squeeze 2 shaves out of my remaining.
SRD Opus X - maybe a quarter tub left. SRD was a great soap. I can't believe no one picked up this soap formula.
Captain's Choice North - I bought his last tub. My CC favorite, but at least his Bay Rum soap is still available.

I haven't tried many soaps yet and I actually try not to get involved with any soaps those are rumored to get discontinued.
My SAD will flare up big time if I fell in love with any such soaps.

Even so I got a sample of - Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout soap.
I was appalled by the scent initially, but the performance was great, and with use the scent grew on me and performance is absolutely amazing.

Really sad to know that it is the last soap from Shaver Heaven that I'll get to use.

I do use it however, no point extending it when there is no hope for renewal / restocking.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My last original Australian made Palmolive shaving soap stick. Only used on very special occasions.

I have enough soaps to last me 2-3x my expected lifespan. If I live to 100, I will still have soap left over, assuming they do not spoil first. Since I do not know the date of my death, I have divided my soaps into three groups of approximately 70 soaps each. I am using the very best soaps first in case I die sooner than expected. The 2nd group contains soaps that are OK, but not my favorites. I rather hope I die before I get to the third group as that contains my least favorite soaps, either in performance or in scent.

Midway through my last puck of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shave soap made with the old tallow formula. Bought soap in wood bowl and two refills around 2008/2009. Savor every shave.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
My favourite soap is PAA Doppelgänger Orange which is no longer produced. With both the soap and cologne the scent is very reminiscent of a long gone but much loved relative. I use it sparingly as I feel when it is gone another part of him has gone.

I Coloniali

its not terribly hard to save up. My last replacement puck’s a touch heavier on the menthol than my previous pucks.

Top Bottom