What's new

Soaps from Scandinavia

492A23E3-C416-47A9-81F9-15DA3E89B045.jpeg
3A0A323C-02E0-4AE3-AEC4-88D53131561D.jpeg
Here are two soaps - one from Norway and the other from Denmark which I received a while back but I hadn’t thought about reviewing them.

The first one is Matas, which I believe is the only commercial soap from Denmark. It comes in a nice little metal container, it has a mild, clean, soapy scent, and it works up to a good, rich lather with little effort. It leaves the skin feeling very clean and smooth with a comfortable postshave sensation. How much is it? I don’t know because I traded for it.

The second one is from Norway, and it’s Brutalt Bra which in Norwegian translates to “Brutally good.” Also in a small metal container this soap has a very nice, mild lavender scent, the lather is so rich - very little effort is needed to work it up, and it has wonderful moisturizing to it as well as fantastic skincare. I bought it from BullGoose Shaving and although I paid quite a bit for it I feel it was a good buy that I would repeat.

Rick

Klaebu is a small place just South of Trondheim with one or two artisans in it. After the success of Fitjar I'd like to see more artisan soaps from Norway. It's an expensive place, unfortunately - too expensive to buy a round of drinks. That's the downside. But they take their nature very seriously and are often outdoors for one activity or another. Winters are cold and dark, though atmospheric, and making soaps seems like a pretty smart way to pass the time.

View attachment 1015677 View attachment 1015676 Here are two soaps - one from Norway and the other from Denmark which I received a while back but I hadn’t thought about reviewing them.

The first one is Matas, which I believe is the only commercial soap from Denmark. It comes in a nice little metal container, it has a mild, clean, soapy scent, and it works up to a good, rich lather with little effort. It leaves the skin feeling very clean and smooth with a comfortable postshave sensation. How much is it? I don’t know because I traded for it.

The second one is from Norway, and it’s Brutalt Bra which in Norwegian translates to “Brutally good.” Also in a small metal container this soap has a very nice, mild lavender scent, the lather is so rich - very little effort is needed to work it up, and it has wonderful moisturizing to it as well as fantastic skincare. I bought it from BullGoose Shaving and although I paid quite a bit for it I feel it was a good buy that I would repeat.

Rick
resurrecting this thread because I just broke out my Matas Men that I bought at a pharmacy in Copenhagen. The tin cost me about $6-8 if memory serves. I was very pleased with the performance, but it fell to the bottom of the drawer and I'm really only now re-using it after several years laying fallow. It appears to be a vegan soap, the lather is not super thick, but slick and I too felt a very moisturized post-shave skin.

Razor Master from Finland also makes nice soaps. Though my Toivo is strong enough to need several uses of arko to defunk that brush.

I'm wary of soaps from Scandinavia as the cost of living is so high. I want greatly impressed with Fitjar which costs more than MdC.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Since then, I've tried the Birch from these guys and love it:

AA

Top Bottom