What's new

Soaps close to Old Spice

B&M Reserve Spice. If you search out past discussions on this you will find it is an interesting question.

To elaborate a little because I recently looked into it - keeping in mind that I have never used the original Shulton soap:

Some say Stirling took the scent of the Shulton AS and made that the scent of the soap. I find Stirling far spicier and more powdery than B&M. B&M has a powder note in it, but the powder isn't as prominent. On scent strength 1-10 I would give Stirling a 20 and B&M a 7. Of course, YMMV.

There is also debate about the current on the shelf OS and the original. Some say it's different, others say it is the same, but it's fresh so does not smell the same as a 60 year old batch of OS. One gentleman wrote P&G to confirm that the ingredients have not changed and P&G stated the ingredients are the same. Naturally, some gentlemen greeted this news with skepticism.

I guess my mileage varies. I found the B&M Reserve Spice about 1 1/2 times stronger in scent than Stirling. As for whether the newer version is different than the old version of Old Spice, I can attest to that, as decades ago original Old Spice was my daily A/S. And the new version was so inferior I threw it away.

OS was never, ever on my radar until I found out that it was also considered a holiday scent along with Seaforth! Spice. Down the rabbit hole I went.

Scent wise Soap commander endurance is closest to the original Shulton Old Spice shaving soap. I still have 7 NOS old spice soaps of various years to compare

Reactions: CLC
I have a glass ship decanter from the mid 70's that is 90% full and a milk glass travel bottle from the 60's also mostly full. Just so happen to have the travel bottle on my desk so did a side-by-side comparison against SC Endurance. It is quite close. I get a little more powder in the SC than the 60's Shulton.

I don't have any Stirling Spice on hand, but 3017'd one back in 2017 and remember thinking it was a nice compliment to the Shulton splash.

PXL_20210225_145006320.jpg

Stirling Spice and Soap Commander Endurance. I find the Stirling to be very close "off the puck" to the vintage AS splash I have. SC Endurance kind of settles into just as good of a match but I find it slightly more powdery initially.

Although it's not a Old Spice dupe, if you like that genre you should also check out Shannon's Soap Etherea which is made and sold exclusively for Timeless Razor. I recently discovered it when they included a sample with a razor I purchased, and I really like it.

NOS Old Spice Shaving soap has a much milder scent than the A/S or Cologne. If you sniff Endurance and an Old Spice shaving soap, they are very close with Endurance being a slightly stronger scent.

PAA Cold Spices. It smells great and has just a little bit of menthol which I find compliments the scent. I liked it better than B&M Spice which to me smelled like cinnamon and makeup. Its not a bad scent, I just prefer the PAA one.

Soap Commander Endurance and Stirling Spice aftershave. I totally agree with those who posted above. Chiseled Face Tradewinds is also in that category. I compared the two soaps here:

As far as the aftershaves, see the pic below. In the foreground is the real deal original OS aftershave. On the left in the background is an old decanter filled with Stirling Spice aftershave.

Stirling Spice is very close. The only downside to the aftershave is that the scent is STRONG. If I use it I have to make sure not to go right out the door unless I want everything I go near to smell like old spice.

93A0FB04-1CAC-43C2-8F48-FB65AD97E8FE.jpeg

Top Bottom