What's new

Soaps by Los Jabones de Joserra

Has anyone tried the Gredos or Agua de Gredos? What is the difference between them? I cannot get much info on these scents.

Just a follow up with some of today lather from Joserra's soaps.

proxy.php

My best shave for a long time :)

It seems to be stocked by an US vendor (and ByLuna seems to be soon too by one vendor)

That is a fair point. I am quite a fan of Dan's older scents that are mostly not made anymore. Among my favorites are Alfredus Choice, Mycroft. Of the newer ones, I like Fenchurch and Ozymandia, and I love Bombora. Most of the other newer stuff is just OK IMO.
I too am a fan of Ozymandias. More recently, I picked up a tub of Highland Springs Soap Co. Eclipse with the scent made by APR (Dan)--this is a rich musk and leather scent and I increasingly reach for it. This is a limited edition but if you can find a source (and if you think you might like this style scent) you may want to consider adding it to your collection. That said, it is not at all like Ozymandias.

I first learned of Los Jabones de Joserra, a line of shaving soaps from Spain, in October of last year. Looking at SOTD photos from gentlemen in Europe, this soap caught my attention:

[Image: 0Bx25yM.jpg]

I did some research and found that Los Jabones de Joserra are made in Spain by Jose Martinez. I was curious as to the name of this particular soap - Rodrigo de Jerez. It turns out that Rodrigo de Jerez was one of the crew members of Christopher Columbus when he sailed to the Americas in 1492. Rodrigo de Jerez learned about smoking tobacco from the natives in the Americas, and is reputed to have introduced the habit to Spain when he returned. I've never smoked, but like tobacco shaving soaps and have tried a lot of different ones. I'm usually disappointed, as I find that there are few excellent tobacco scents available in shaving soaps. I knew nothing about the quality of Los Jabones de Joserra, and decided a tobacco scented soap would be a good way to evaluate the brand.

I had difficulty finding this soap. Despite its popularity among knowledgeable shavers in Europe, no USA shop carried it. I finally found it in a UK shop and ordered it. I have since learned from European shavers that Jose markets these soaps primarily through Facebook. He does not have a catalog of regular offerings. Instead, several times a year he does runs of his latest creations. When those soaps sell out, that's it and they're unlikely to be produced again.

According to Jose, this is the scent profile of Rodrigo de Jerez:

Top Notes: Tobacco leaf and spicy notes.
Heart Notes: Tonka bean, tobacco flower, leather, vanilla and cocoa.
Base Notes: Nuts, black suade, amber and woody notes.

The ingredients: Stearic acid, Beef tallow, Lamb tallow, Shea butter, Oils of flax seeds, cannabis seeds, coconut and castor, Glycerin, Fragrance, Cocoa powder.

[Image: 8OgDGXw.jpg]

I liked the lather and scent of this soap from the moment I tried it. The lather quality and post shave feel are excellent. The scent immediately joined JabonMan Tobacco and Asylum Old Virginia as my favorites in the tobacco category. With too many tobacco scented shaving soaps, they are so sweet or floral that it seems they forgot the tobacco. Jose gets it right with Rodrigo de Jerez.

Rodrigo de Jerez is no longer available, and I wanted to try one of Jose's newer releases. Communicating and ordering through Facebook is not optimal, but it seemed like it was the only option available to me. Fortunately, I then learned that BullGoose was going to start carrying Los Jabones de Joserra. Rather than going through Facebook, I waited for them to arrive at BullGoose and ordered Kilix.

[Image: yyHTSTg.jpg]

According to Jose, this is the scent profile of Kilix:

Top Notes: Bergamot and cardamom.
Heart Notes: Floral.
Base notes: Cedarwood, sandalwood, oud and tonka.

The ingredients: Tallow, Vegetable stearine, Coconut oil, Castor oil, She butter, Kokum butter, Fragrance, Camelia oil, Lanolin, Glycerin, Green clay.

[Image: ROkDX5H.jpg]

As with Rodrigo de Jerez, lather quality and post shave feel are excellent. The scent immediately presents as a nice balance of cedarwood and sandalwood. The cedarwood makes its presence known, but is not as dominant as in Le Pere Lucien's excellent Cedarwood and Patchouli. Kilix is a well crafted scent profile.

Los Jabones de Joserra joins JabonMan in the category of outstanding, highly regarded shaving soaps from Spain. These shaving soaps are well worth considering.
Rodrigo de Jerez is absolutely stellar. I also really like Eufros Tobacco, Asylum Old Virginia and one you did not mention, WSP Tobacco. I think people are going to find it hard to acquire Rodrigo de Jerez and Old Virginia but you can lay your hands on Eufros Tobacco (Bullgoose) and WSP Tobacco. Much less impressive is Moon Soaps Havana.

Last edited:
I stumbled across this very old thread because the Joserra soaps have appeared on a retailer that I use in Canada. Always looking for a good tobacco scent. But after watching a YouTube vid by Rudd's (yes, very bored and snowed in today!) that compared it favorably with a Canadian made soap in British Columbia (HSSC) I went with the latter and at about half the price as the import from Spain. Soap and balm, Tobacco Oud. Looking forward to trying it.

I stumbled across this very old thread because the Joserra soaps have appeared on a retailer that I use in Canada. Always looking for a good tobacco scent. But after watching a YouTube vid by Rudd's (yes, very bored and snowed in today!) that compared it favorably with a Canadian made soap in British Columbia (HSSC) I went with the latter and at about half the price as the import from Spain. Soap and balm, Tobacco Oud. Looking forward to trying it.
Pasteur’s in NYC has a whack of different ones as well.

The soaps look excellent, but $35US/$45CAD is way out of my comfort zone for buying blind or even in general.

His formulas can be a little confusing since every single soap has a different ingredient list. The ones I've tried were excellent though (Green Twist, Mint Evolution, Quacos, Sweet&Dandy). I wouldn't recommend them If you are sensitive to fragrance. These things are packed with tons of fragrance. His aftershave lotions are also great If you are a fan of skin food.

Yeah, it was the $45cdn price tag that gave me pause, but for about half the price I'm looking forward to trying the HSSC.

Canadian made soap in British Columbia (HSSC) I went with the latter and at about half the price as the import from Spain. Soap and balm, Tobacco Oud. Looking forward to trying it.
HSSC's Tobacco Oud is supposedly homage to Tom Ford's Tobacco and Oud, which smelled great and sadly discontinued right when I was planning to purchase one. Please report back on the scent when you receive it. I too am looking for a tobacco scented soap, debating between Joserra and HSSC Tobacco Oud.

Speaking of Joserra, I've smelled 2 - 3 scents so far and all I can say is that Jose Martines who makes these soaps is a very talented artisan in scent designing. His scents are mostly cologne type and way better than any north american artisan soap I've ever tried, at least in the category of cologne-y type scents.

It costs twice more than an average artisan tub of soap in North America, but the scents are very refined and sophisticated and in my humble opinion belong to a different class or strata of perfumary art. Apparently, he utilizes high-end fragrance oils available in Europe.

I would like to get the Cefiro scent, inspired by the iconic Creed Aventus.

I wouldn't recommend them If you are sensitive to fragrance. These things are packed with tons of fragrance.
That is very true, the trick is to keep the lid off for at least week for some of the fragrance oil to evaporate so to speak. I also mix my Joserra samples with an unscented soap (when bowl lathering) to tone it down a bit.

The Canadian retailer has several new scents in recently. Still interested in trying this soap maker as I look for a nice Spring scent.

You definitely can't go wrong with HSSC. Their base has been great since their previous one a few years back when they were relatively unknown, and the current one is better.
Joserra soaps have always been in the back of my mind and ever since I got a set of Warlock - an LE collaboration with Langley city - I've been sold.
As someone mentioned, though, there does seem to be some subtle differences to the formulas or, at least, the ingredients.
Warlock, has duck fat in it, but Gredos is the only other one that I've seen so far, that also had duck fat in it, and is from his regular line.

Overall, his scents seem very appealing, so it probably won't be long before I order more. Especially with them being available in Canada.

Price? Well, there's not much I can say about that, since as I have plenty that are still yet to be used. 😆

Top Bottom