What's new

Soaps and creams for dry skin

I've been doing DE shaving for about a month now and I love it. The only issue I have is that some soaps leave my 65 y/o skin feeling dried out. VDH Luxury soap was the worst example of this. I have always liked Creamo but it doesn't lather. The best thing I have found so far is Proraso Blue.

I have been using an Avon after shave balm. My wife gets it for me and likes the scent so I will probably keep using it.

There are so many products out there I could use some guidance on this.

Thanks

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have dry skin. There are lots of soaps out there, some better for face feel than others, but I just use Clinique Moisturizer post shave and I can use any soap I like with good results. You could, of course, use any brand of balm/moisturizer. I like to use Thayer's WH w/aloe before the moisturizer.

I have dry skin. There are lots of soaps out there, some better for face feel than others, but I just use Clinique Moisturizer post shave and I can use any soap I like with good results. You could, of course, use any brand of balm/moisturizer. I like to use Thayer's WH w/aloe before the moisturizer.

+1! Moisturizer is a great suggestion, especially during the winter months!! I like CeraVe, but there are many fine options!! :clap: :clap:

Mystic Water

Barrister and Mann

Soapy Science

Grooming Department

Zingari Man

So many good choices; my list is only a beginning. Almost anything out there is going to be superior to VDH Luxury in terms of not drying out your skin, with the possible exception of MdC.

Mystic Water

Barrister and Mann

Soapy Science

Grooming Department

Zingari Man

So many good choices; my list is only a beginning. Almost anything out there is going to be superior to VDH Luxury in terms of not drying out your skin, with the possible exception of MdC.

+1

Many of the artisan soaps are excellent for post-shave. However, if you want to keep costs to a minimum, a good balm would do the trick.

I have occasionally dry skin and found that many soaps, while not making my skin excessively dry could cause quite a bit of irritation for the duration of the shave. I now use Proraso Green Preshave for every shave. I haven't yet found a soap that I can't use with it or that is overpowered by it and on top of that I frequently get post shaves that make my face feel like it's been dipped in iced jelly, my skin super hydrated.

Artisan soaps definitely excel in post-shave features as they usually have a lot of fatty ingredients good for the skin.

Couple affordable artisan soaps that I'd recommend are Stirling, Spearhead co, and Soap Commander. Stirling has lanolin for good slickness and nice post shave. Spearhead soaps have a lot of butter to soften the skin. And soap commander just works nicely as a vegan option.

If you're looking for commercial options, I find that creams do a good job at not drying out the skin, i.e. Palmolive shave cream and proraso shave cream.

Mitchell’s Wool Fat leaves my face soft as a baby’s butt and I’m 68 with dry skin. My lower face is softer than my forehead. But, I’ll warn you. MWF can be difficult to lather.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I agree with those that suggest MWF; it contains lanolin and gives a lovely post shave feel. It can be hard to lather unless you have soft water. Together with Tabac they are for me the finest two soaps ever created.

Reactions: clk
Top Bottom