What's new

Soaps and Beard Softening

Kyle's prep uses lather massaged into the beard to aid in softening it. Since lather aids or speeds up beard softening, can the specific formulation of different soaps either hinder or aid the process even more? Logic tells me yes, but when I asked a couple of months ago in the shave clinic forum, the few answers I received said no. So, what say you soap users? Do different soaps make your beard easier or more difficult to cut?

-Clarke

Sure, some soaps pass themselves off as shaving soaps and are nothing more than mediocre hand soaps; Burt's Bees shaving soap comes to mind along with some of the stuff off Ebay. Any of the recognized top line soaps as well as some of the homemade soaps which have been tried by members ( Honeybee soaps, Mama Bear, SCS, etc.) will all provide a great shave with a proper prep. Even though some people will have different experiences, reading the reviews on the forum has saved a lot of people from unnecessary experimentation with junk soaps. Thanks to all those guys who post good and bad results with not-so-well-known soaps for the rest of us.

I've been using soaps from some of our B&B member/soap makers without a problem. I know a guy who is into soap making, and decided to try his shaving soap. I used the same prep and setup as yesterday. I changed only the soap to his. My razor seemed to drag through my beard. Thinking it was the blade, I changed it to no avail. Tomorrow I'll change back to one of my usual soaps and see what happens, then try his again Saturday. I really want to give his soap a fair shot.

-Clarke

Top Bottom