What's new

Soapmakers of Awesometown

Anyone else pick up this goofy offering from B&M?

I don't particularly pick up soaps anymore due to a large hoard, but this one was fun enough that I sprung for it.

Didn't hear about it, but I did see an interview in which Will said that the name was what he originally considering naming his company.

I think it's supposed to be based on / similar to the Passiflora soap that they had that whole snafu with but is now sought after... This one sounds way more badass!

I think it's supposed to be based on / similar to the Passiflora soap that they had that whole snafu with but is now sought after... This one sounds way more badass!
Anyway you can type out that snafu, I have absolutely no idea what happened.

Anyway you can type out that snafu, I have absolutely no idea what happened.
I'll find some links and forward, off the top of my head I don't remember the fine details but I guess the soap was part of a subscription service that a YouTube wetshaving personality was trying to start that got controversial and they had to drop it...
Wetshaving drama really wouldn't be too successful on TV.

Last edited:
I ordered it! I also ordered the Diamond and the Petrichor! Really looking forward to trying these out, especially the Petrichor...I want to use it to make sure I like it before I order the aftershave!

I ordered Petrichor (I've been wanting it since I first learned about it, and didn't expect Will to offer it again anytime soon) ... and the accompanying A/S.

I also ordered a tub of Rhapsody ... my current tub is down to a doughnut.

Never heard of it. Looks like it didn't last long. I really hate when soapmakers put out ultra limited releases.

Never heard of it. Looks like it didn't last long. I really hate when soapmakers put out ultra limited releases.
I'm with you in most circumstances. This one doesn't bother me too much though - seemed like it was just a fun thing to do: drop a soap without advance warning so everyone has a chance to pick it up. I don't like it when something is hyped in advance so that you really do have to pull the trigger within 3.7 seconds of the open of the sale.

^ Me, too. I love Barrister and Mann, he makes great products and the packaging is superb, BUT.....a lot of his scents are somewhat challenging, and I've been burned before by blind-buying his products and not liking the scent.

I've made a new policy for myself to not buy any products from B&M that I can't get a sample of first. Luckily Maggard's does sell samples of a lot of his scents (I just ordered a sample of the Petrichor scent), and half the time I'm glad I didn't buy a tub of it due to the scent - I didn't care for the Leviathan or Rhapsody samples I got. On the other hand, I decided to buy a tub of Seville and Dickens after trying out a sample first and really liking them.

The problem is when he sells tubs that are up for sale one day and gone the next - like Hallows, or Soapmakers of Awesometown. It was a super limited run and it was GONE - no chance of Maggard's ever being able to stock samples for me to try out. It's a shame, because maybe I would've liked having a Hallow's soap - but then again, maybe I wouldn't have liked the scent, and that's a very real possibility given Will's rather off-the-beaten-path tendencies towards scents and fragrances - and not worth the financial risk.

^ Me, too. I love Barrister and Mann, he makes great products and the packaging is superb, BUT.....a lot of his scents are somewhat challenging, and I've been burned before by blind-buying his products and not liking the scent.

I've made a new policy for myself to not buy any products from B&M that I can't get a sample of first. Luckily Maggard's does sell samples of a lot of his scents (I just ordered a sample of the Petrichor scent), and half the time I'm glad I didn't buy a tub of it due to the scent - I didn't care for the Leviathan or Rhapsody samples I got. On the other hand, I decided to buy a tub of Seville and Dickens after trying out a sample first and really liking them.

The problem is when he sells tubs that are up for sale one day and gone the next - like Hallows, or Soapmakers of Awesometown. It was a super limited run and it was GONE - no chance of Maggard's ever being able to stock samples for me to try out. It's a shame, because maybe I would've liked having a Hallow's soap - but then again, maybe I wouldn't have liked the scent, and that's a very real possibility given Will's rather off-the-beaten-path tendencies towards scents and fragrances - and not worth the financial risk.

This isn't going to help you any, but I really enjoyed the scent of hallows.

I had forgotten about it being April 1st and reading the email about closing up shocked me!
LOL

Petrichor sounded really interesting, but not in the cards right now.

Well, as far as Hallow's is concerned, see if you can still find a sample. He's skipping a release this year, so you'll have about 18 months to figure out whether it's worth a full tub. Surprisingly, it's still available on Amazon. The seller has marked it up a couple of dollars from the original retail, but you'd normally spend that difference on shipping anyway.

Also, I don't think any limited release is really a financial risk. There might be time wasted repacking it up to ship, but you will be able to resell these basically at retail price. Take it to eBay and you might even be able to sell it at a profit.

Also - B&M now has a pre-sale for all (well - obviously almost all) of its limited releases. That way everyone has an opportunity to buy as much of each soap as they want. Seems like a good solution to me. Sign up for the B&M newsletter or watch the Release Schedule page on the website to get info on the pre sales.

Also - B&M now has a pre-sale for all (well - obviously almost all) of its limited releases. That way everyone has an opportunity to buy as much of each soap as they want. Seems like a good solution to me. Sign up for the B&M newsletter or watch the Release Schedule page on the website to get info on the pre sales.

Yup ... it's a nice step Will has taken in the aftermath of a release debacle around Hallows a couple years back.

The Soapmakers of Awesometown thing was a lark basically ... no one knew about it unless you subscribe to the newsletter. I know his scents can be polarizing, but on the whole, Will is a very good guy, attuned to the wet shaving scene.

Funny, all of his scents are very much YMMV things. Some even in terms of scent in the tub versus scent when lathering. When I first received Leviathan, the scent in the tub was awful. I almost sold it straight away, but I tried it, and once lathered it was amazing and is now one of, if not, my favorite soaps.

Hallows ... I hated it. It gave me a headache, made me nauseated. It seemed like an amped up Old Spice to me. Night Music wasn't terrible, but it was strong/musky/floral and my wife didn't like it, and it was a bit overpowering to me.

I should correct my previous post ... newsletter subscribers ONLY found out about Soapmakers of Awesometown the day of the release.

Top Bottom