What's new

Soap

B

bluefoxicy

Anyone here use soap?

I tend to use Dr. Bronner's... I ran out of shampoo ages ago and started using the bar soap for my hair, and it made my hair softer than shampoo and conditioner (separate bottles) o_O ... mind you I lather it in my hands with a somewhat careful mixture of product and water.

The stuff's basically plant oils though, rather than waxy whatever and lye. This makes it quite a bit different than your vanilla Dial Soap or a floaty bar of Ivory. It's Castille soap....

What do you use? I've heard of people using Williams shave soap as a face soap, citing it being a horrible shave soap but a fantastic soap.

B

bejonline

I use Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar on my hair and face; it's also a good travel body soap. I usually buy a soap at my local store that is made locally. I can buy it in a host of scents to match whatever I may be using as a shave soap.

I usually stick w/ Grandpas brand soaps.

Pine Tar, Witch Hazel, or Baking Soda.

Sometimes I'll use a Burt's Bees though.

I've been trying to figure out which soap I like best after deciding I no longer liked body wash. I have tried around 10 different soaps in the past 6 months or so.

I've found Woody's Meat and Potatoes Bar to be awesome. It's the most moisturizing soap I've tried yet and it's meant to be a shampoo bar as well.
I also like Kirk's Castile because of it's affordability.

+1 on Grandpa's Pine Tar too

Soap? Hmmm...

Oh! THAT stuff...yeah.

I use Pre de Provence (French triple milled) bars. Usually the sage, sometimes the verbena, sometimes rose, sometimes other bars, like Musgo Real, MWF (scent sucks, but it feels great), or...other stuff. But mostly the PdP...

Just started using "South of France triple milled vegetable soap." I have tried the Shea Butter and Green Tea. Both do a nice job and seem not to dry out my skin as much as Dove.

soap is my hobby :thumbup1:

my wife would always buy these things at craft fairs, and it was always something i wanted to try, so i did it. i make soap with approx 50% lard, coconut oil and olive oil.

i used to use body washes, but even the ones that weren't supposed to dry your skin, left me itchy after a shower. i HATED it!

i'm telling you, once you've tried lard soap, you'll never go back! (the reason i'm trying to make a lard shave soap) i get out of the shower and my skin feels clean, but not itchy and tight. you can wash your hands and the feel moisturized. it's awesome stuff! i also add goatmilk and 100% natural silk for a creamy, silky feeling :thumbup:

The stuff's basically plant oils though, rather than waxy whatever and lye. This makes it quite a bit different than your vanilla Dial Soap or a floaty bar of Ivory. It's Castille soap....

All true soap has been formulated with a saponification agent like lye or something similar. If such an agent weren't used, you would be basically be using a bottle of vegetable oil or a tub of lard to wash yourself with.

My wife bought me one of the "soap rocks" from mama Bear's site for Christmas. This is probably the best soap I have ever used. Looks amazing (it's a work of art), lathers up better than any soap I'm aware of, smells great, and leaves the skin feeling great. These things are HUGE, so it seems that it will last forever. Pricey, but worth it.

I don't think Mama Bear makes them, but she sells them on her site. Highly recommended.:thumbup:

Looks amazing (it's a work of art), lathers up better than any soap I'm aware of, smells great, and leaves the skin feeling great.

I just looked at them on Mama Bear's site. They are very attractive, and fascinating. How does the soap look now that you've used it? Also, how would you characterize the scent?

From the Nancy Boy website: "Good soap is one of those seemingly inconsequential things that makes life sweeter."

I'm a big fan of Nancy Boy, Pre de Provence and Claus Porto bar soaps. Whole Foods store brand triple-milled shea butter soaps are also very good, and quite affordable. Today I picked up the Vetiver & Cedar (all natural EO scented) and it smells amazing.

I think I've effectively converted my roommate, as well. He hasn't touched his Irish Spring body wash since I got him a bar of Pre de Provence w/ crushed lavender buds for Christmas. "I think I'm beginning to understand why you buy those fancy soaps", he says. :lol:

I've got some Mama Bear's Dublin Tweed soap that's awesome (and the shave soap). If you use and like GIT, you're crazy not to try it at like $6/bar.

I monkey around with a lot of different soaps and have avoided the heavy detergent style soaps for years.

The best soap I've ever tried is C&S No 88. Fantastic stuff with a price to match. I use it very sparingly.

Last edited:
I'm quite fond of the Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap. It's tallow-based, triple-milled and is gentle on the skin (thanks to the lanolin). It has a lovely clean, soapy scent much like its shaving counterpart.

proxy.php

Top Bottom