What's new

Soap without sodium or potassium hydroxide?

I have a container of soap called shaver's spirit by Pearl Man. It does not contain sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. How is that possible? The list of ingredients are Stearic acid, palmetic acid, myristic acid, coconut oil, sodium EDTA, titanium dioxide, fragrance, DM water. Can anyone kindly tell me why there is no sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide in the soap? I thought that was part of the process of saponification. Thank you very much in advance best regards Ron Eastman in Massachusetts

I only spent about 5 min, but the best I can come up with it's an inaccurate label. The soap is made in India an I guess they don't care about honest disclosure. I saw that it said sodium free, that is possible. But, not without potassium. Interesting, this used to be a problem with US artisans. And this soap has been around at least 4 years.

I only spent about 5 min, but the best I can come up with it's an inaccurate label. The soap is made in India an I guess they don't care about honest disclosure. I saw that it said sodium free, that is possible. But, not without potassium. Interesting, this used to be a problem with US artisans. And this soap has been around at least 4 years.
Thanks. Makes sense here too. Ron

I have a container of soap called shaver's spirit by Pearl Man. It does not contain sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. How is that possible? The list of ingredients are Stearic acid, palmetic acid, myristic acid, coconut oil, sodium EDTA, titanium dioxide, fragrance, DM water. Can anyone kindly tell me why there is no sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide in the soap? I thought that was part of the process of saponification. Thank you very much in advance best regards Ron Eastman in Massachusetts
Yes, it is.

The person is listing the saponified oils without telling you they were saponified. The first four ingredients were all saponified.

Sometimes soapers list the ingredients as "potassium tallowate" or "sodium cocoate" or the like rather than listing sodium or potassium hydroxide separately, which is perfectly acceptable, as no sodium or potassium hydroxide remains in the soap when it is finished, but to just list the oils is a bit lackadaisical.

The person is listing the saponified oils without telling you they were saponified. The first four ingredients were all saponified.

Sometimes soapers list the ingredients as "potassium tallowate" or "sodium cocoate" or the like rather than listing sodium or potassium hydroxide separately, which is perfectly acceptable, as no sodium or potassium hydroxide remains in the soap when it is finished, but to just list the oils is a bit lackadaisical.
I kind of suspected that, but the way it is listed didn't really sound like they merely left off the potassium part.

Top Bottom