What's new

Soap with Salicylic Acid?

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and despite my searching threads I haven't found much in the way of shave soaps containing salicylic acid.

I did see a suggestion on the forums for Spencer and Devon shave soap but it appears they are no longer operational. I e-mailed them but haven't heard back yet. Their unscented shave soap looked like exactly what I want.

I have all kinds of ingrown hair problems so shaving is really not enjoyable for me right now. In the past I've used shaving/face products containing salicylic acid and it helped. Right now I am using a Neutrogena shave product as a "preshave" and then lathering with Proraso white. I've purchased a roller bottle of Tend Skin but it has yet to arrive.

Is there anything similar to the Spencer and Devon product? Unscented preferably and definitely containing salicylic acid.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dewayne

Great name! I use a gentle apricot scrub with s. acid to exfoliate and clean my skin before shaving. Can't say I know of any shaving soaps that contain it.

Dewayne, welcome to B&B!
I'm not aware of any shave soaps with salicylic acid.
I have mild psoraisis on the knee and the derm prescribed a salicylic cream for that.
Salicylic is actually a defoliating acid and would work counter to most buttery, moisturizing shave soaps and creams.
Rather, I would venture to guess that your here-to-fore shave technique may be contributing to your ingrown hairs and inflammation.
I can only suggest that you're on the right track now.
Here are my suggestions...you'll certainly get others!
Start before your shave with a really thorough, exfoliating face scrub and wash.
Then use your preshave Neutrogena, with lots of product, rinse lightly, repeat.
Then face-lather with your Proraso white, rinse lightly.
Spend at least a minute face-lathering with your brush.
And repeat with the Proraso, this time leaving lather on the face.
Proceed to shave with a reasonably fresh cartridge or DE blade, using No Pressure, With the Grain.
Rinse, repeat the lather and second pass with the grain.
Do not try to go against the grain until you have no redness or irritation.
Best of luck and let us know how you fare!

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and despite my searching threads I haven't found much in the way of shave soaps containing salicylic acid.

I did see a suggestion on the forums for Spencer and Devon shave soap but it appears they are no longer operational. I e-mailed them but haven't heard back yet. Their unscented shave soap looked like exactly what I want.

I have all kinds of ingrown hair problems so shaving is really not enjoyable for me right now. In the past I've used shaving/face products containing salicylic acid and it helped. Right now I am using a Neutrogena shave product as a "preshave" and then lathering with Proraso white. I've purchased a roller bottle of Tend Skin but it has yet to arrive.

Is there anything similar to the Spencer and Devon product? Unscented preferably and definitely containing salicylic acid.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dewayne

Dewayne,

I used to suffer from ingrown hairs and irritation, which is what led me to straight razors, and eventually here. Using a DE razor as opposed to a cartridge may help in many ways. Certain products are also more kind to the skin than others. However, as helpful as many of the members and discussions are here, if you are having serious or specific skin issues I would suggest consulting with your dermatologist.

I use a salicylic acid wash after I shave and before AS splash or balm. The salicylic acid wash makes sure that products with oil or other clogging ingredients get flushed out of the skin. I use the generic walgreens or cvs products, which I prefer to the fancy stuff which often have fragrences or other ingredients (such as ALA) that I find irritating.
One of the reasons I switched to DEs was acne and ingrown hairs. With the right technique and products, you'll be on your way.

Thanks everyone.

I haven't gotten the Tend Skin yet and have not been using the Neutrogena "preshave" for very long so I will give that a go for a while and see how it works. I'm also curious about the homebrew witch hazel + aspirin. I'll look up some recipes for that.

I'll also look for a good face scrub. I have been using Cetaphil which is a very mild soap without any exfoliating properties so I am sure I can improve on that.

I'll work harder on my face lather too. I usually go at it for a couple minutes after warming up my brush. I wasn't really sure what to do with the Neutrogena stuff since it's a shaving cream all in itself. I just put some on before hand and then layered the Proraso on top. The Neutrogena isn't a lathering cream but I'm sure rubbing it around with the brush should help work it in a little better.

@GreekGuy, I too came here because of DE shaving. I wanted to try a straight razor first but I figured I would try DE shaving instead since there's less chance that I will slice something off. I ended up with a Merkur 34C and Astra SP blades. So far I like it.

I was using disposable bic single blade razors. Any of these crazy things with 5+ blades is just too close for me. I only do a single pass with my Merkur. Any more than that and I'm in for a world of hurt.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions.

Dewayne

I suffer from the difficult combination of dry skin and tough beard with ingrown hairs. Most of the products that contain salicylic acid/glycolic acid are quite drying. Bad for me. I have used the Anthony Logistics InGrown Hair product with some success.

In answer to your question about shaving soaps, the I Coloniali Rhubarb shaving soap contains both boric acid and benzyl salicylate. The boric acid should help control bacterial growth and the salicylate is an anti-inflammatory. It is a fantastic soap that is very moisturizing. It does have a unique scent that I happen to really like (earthy with menthol??), but others do not.

Good luck

I have a tube of Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream that contains salicylic acid. It is non-foaming, so I don't use it with a brush. I actually have been putting it on as a preshave when I get out of the shower while I get ready and start my lather with different soap. Got it at WalMart or Target.

I have a tube of Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream that contains salicylic acid. It is non-foaming, so I don't use it with a brush. I actually have been putting it on as a preshave when I get out of the shower while I get ready and start my lather with different soap. Got it at WalMart or Target.

That is exactly what I was using it for. You may have even been the person that mentioned it while I was lurking around on the forums. Thanks for the advice.

As you know salicylic acid = aspirin
I used to crush some aspirin tablets and mix them with pure aloe vera and use that on the problem zones for ~30 min before rinsing off.

I am sure you could mix crushed aspirin tablets with your soaps?

This comment doesn't involve salicylic, but personally I might be cautious of using an exfoliating face scrub prior to shaving. I find it makes my skin too tender and sensitive prior to going at it with a brush and blade.

Salicylic acid (C7H6O3) isn't asprin...asprin is acetylsalicylic acid (C9H8O4). they're in the same family but different compounds.

I have also used the Neutrogena skin clearing cream as a Preshave and have had good results against in grown hairs. Lately, I have been using the shea moisture African black soap with shea butter as a preshave. It does not lather well but makes a great preshave. I've been using it for about a month now and my face feels smooth and soft and no in grown hairs or acne at all.

One of the better ways I find as a pre shave for these problems is a mild cleanser. Dove is great, and I generally alternate between Dove for a week and then Noxzema for a week, then around again.

You might find something useful at this site:

http://www.kaviskin.com/

They make all kinds of consumer- and professional-strength salicylic acid and glycoli acid containing products, including bar and liquid soaps. No shaving products.

Top Bottom