What's new

soap vs cream

I am wondering what the differences are between shaving soap and shaving cream. I always thought that cream was just soap that has been mixed with water to make it soft.
But when I look at the ingredient list there seem to be more differences between them.

Who can explain further? What's the difference between them, how are they made, what happens to a cream if it dries out? Does it become a regualr soap again?
Many questions, I know. But I'm sure you guys can come up with the answers!

Shaving soaps typically last quite a bit longer, but take a bit more effort to create a lather (they have a longer loading time). Some say the lather is a bit slicker from soap - but I think this is dependent on the product in question. Also soaps tend have more subtle scents.

When a cream dries out it becomes harder, but not to the same extent of a shaving soap. It's still good to use, but requires a bit more water to lather up.

Anybody know if there are real chemical differences between soap and cream?
Or is cream just soap with water added to it, like I mentioned? Probably not, since the ingredients are different.

Well, to point out the obvious here. Chemically if they were the same they would both be a soap, or a cream. In bath soaps to make a soft soap you would add higher percentages of oils (normal coconut). Or that's how it is when I make soap. And sometimes they will add stabilizers depending on the hard/soft they want.

Not sure exactly what the difference is but I feel as if creams don't protect my skin as well as soaps do so I just stick to soap now. Creams smell good and the lather looks better than the lather from soaps but it doesn't have the same quality as soap in my opinion.

Not sure exactly what the difference is but I feel as if creams don't protect my skin as well as soaps do so I just stick to soap now. Creams smell good and the lather looks better than the lather from soaps but it doesn't have the same quality as soap in my opinion.
I started wet shaving using soaps and switched to predominately creams for the same reason you did the opposite. Very differing experiences. I mix my lather relatively firm for good results. Creams seem less sensitive to brush selection. Recently I started using a soft soap, Boellis Panama 1924. Seems to give the best of both worlds.
Can't help the OP on his other questions other than I have had creams that were old stock, rather dry, and the addition of a little water brought them back with good results.

@OP, NinYupOwaDat

The traditional animal fat (i.e., tallow from cattle or sheep fat) seems to be used more often in hard soaps (D R Harris), shave sticks (Palmolive from the EU), and even a few soft soaps (Cella, Arko). Creams more often use a vegetable based fat (usually coconut oil). However, makers of soaps have been moving to using the vegetable based fats for both cost and marketing reasons (to avoid conflict with animal rights groups).

In general, B&B members who prefer soaps to creams often say:
* the lathering quality and skin feel of soaps that use tallow is better than soaps & creams using vegetable fat.
* the cost per shave is less for soaps (especially the harder soaps) than for creams (less water in soaps).

In general, B&B member who prefer creams often say:
* lathering is easier for creams.
* a tube of cream is often cheaper than a tub of soap.

In general, new DE shavers start with creams or soft soaps (such a Proraso) and later explore soaps and shave sticks.

YMMV. HTH

I should have mentioned that i actually like the soft proraso soaps best because they lather extremely easy but they give me the same quality of lather as a hard soap does just a bit easier but i also like hard soaps and have never really had much trouble building a good lather with them.

Thanks Luc for the link to the wiki. That pretty much solved my questions.

Should have looked more thoroughly on the shavewiki.
Thanks all for the informative comments.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Luc for the link to the wiki. That pretty much solved my questions.

Should have looked more thoroughly on the shavewiki.
Thanks all for the informative comments.

That's all right, I'm glad it helped!

Top Bottom