What's new

Soap thoughts from an old guy

I live in a place with very hard water too. If you're looking for just one soap that will be fool proof and perform wonderfully, I'd suggest trying Saponificio Varesino.
I know its $ but everyone who has used raves about it so for sure going to have to try it :)
thanks

I honestly think your hypothesis is based on your own anecdotal experience and may not be true of the general shaving community. Firstly, as already stated, there are plenty of old school soaps out there that are perfectly capable of giving excellent shaves. In addition, while you may have only gotten mediocre shaves for 15 years, people have been getting excellent close shaves for decades, well before the rash of designer soaps. I agree that there are lots of new soaps out there that can provide excellent shaves, but, I just don't feel there is any revolutionary change in shave closeness because of new soaps alone.
My post was only about my personal experience. I make no assumptions about the general shaving community.

My shaves are certainly better in the last few years -- but until 2013 I generally used an electric razor, so my experience is limited. In years gone by I used Barbasol (w/ multi-blade razors), and Nivea gel when I first began DE shaving. I've passed through creams, on to soaps and soap sticks, and now use both soaps and creams interchangeably. Personally I think it's my technique and practice that have improved things for me the most.

Even if the technique is close
to perfect ,there’s going to be
a noticeable difference in more than
one aspect ,if ( for example ) Arko
is used vs a VS soap ,especially to
those shavers with stubble that’s
being far from resembling peach fluff .

A excellent shave is the result of
more than a few variables,being
in their ideal values or ideal states.

Starting from having a nice mood
and all the way up to the post shave care.

Everything has to be so “ideal” ,
as each one of us define it .

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Some thought provoking observations - I've used many of the classics, some of the discontinued ilk (still use Sir Irisch Moos often), many of the new flavor of the month types. That the newer stuff is generally softer may lead to easier lathering than a triple milled hard puck, but it also doesn't last as long & therefore for the seller increases the frequency of re-orders as alluded to above by Trem..

Gotta admit, even though I’ve also been shaving as long as you (hey, does that AUTOMATICALLY make me an OLD man? 👨🏼‍🦳), I have NO clue what all these “bases” mean (mliksteak, serio, etc.).

(BTW, love the title of the thread! I could imagine some older gentleman, in a bar, wearing a raincoat and a fedora, nursing an “old fashioned,” while standing next to a piano, reminiscing about shaves of old. 💈😎)

Some folks here have been shaving with Tabac, Palmolive, La Toja, Speick, Cella yes Arko and even Williams for decades and getting a fine shave. Some have said Vintage Williams was (is) as good a shave as anything out there. If you feel the need to spend money to get a good shave then MdC has been around since '74, SV since 1945, Valobra, C&S, the list goes on.

Just pointing out there's been world class soap of all varieties and price points available long before most of us started using a brush and a mug. Since we're coughing up bona fides here that would be when Abbey Road hit the shelves for me.

Honestly I think the bigger game changer for folks getting good shaves is most likely the internet.

Last edited:
Some folks here have been shaving with Tabac, Palmolive, La Toja, Speick, Cella yes Arko and even Williams for decades and getting a fine shave. Some have said Vintage Williams was (is) as good a shave as anything out there. If you feel the need to spend money to get a good shave then MdC has been around since '74, SV since 1945, Valobra, C&S, the list goes on.

Just pointing out there's been world class soap of all varieties and price points available long before most of us started using a brush and a mug. Since we're coughing up bona fides here that would be when Abbey Road hit the shelves for me.

Honestly I think the bigger game changer for getting good shaves is most likely the internet.
Good shave, perhaps.

I think the difference now is the proliferation of ARTISANAL makers, much like the proliferation of microbreweries.

These are people who take PRIDE in their work, for whom the “bottom line” is not necessarily the end goal. 🤔

I think the difference now is the proliferation of ARTISANAL makers, much like the proliferation of microbreweries.

From1963-2009, I shaved with electrics, or injectors & carts using canned foam. It wasn't until I was in my '60s, nearing retirement, that I found B&B and switched to DE. Other than Harris Almond and Lavender, all of my preferred soaps are artisanal (Captain's Choice, Stirling or RazoRock). Modern brushes also make a big difference. I hated my first pure badger and several boars. If it wasn't for Rooney & Simpson 3-bands. then Thater & Shavemac 2-bands, I might have reverted back to cart.

As far as microbreweries, I only drink Smithwicks Pale or Bass Pale Ale (even USA Bass). I find that micros are either over-hopped, or flavored for the youngins. If a bar or restaurant doesn't offer Smithwicks or Bass, I order my standby, a double Beefeater & tonic.

I know people who can get bloodless BBS even without razor. Imagine what they could do with something like Arko! :lol1:

What soap they use, is a mystery! Secret artisanal transparent soap recipe? :laugh:

gettyimages-896203826-594x594.jpg

Head shave.jpg

I have been wet shaving for 30+ years. As recently as 15 years ago, mediocre to good shaves were the rule, and great shaves were rare. Today, with so many great bases to choose from (B&M Excelsior, WK Siero, A&E Kaizen, DG Milksteak, SV, to name a few), great shaves are the rule, and anything less than a very good shave is rare. I don’t think the hardware has changed much over the years, I think it’s the soaps that have made a huge difference. Thoughts?

I agree but I also think we are already seeing the envelope pushed at its fullest now.

Simply, while the ceiling hardware-wise was pretty much reached 60 years ago, there were much vaster marginal gains to reach soap-wise.

This doesn't mean the progress will be infinite.

Gotta admit, even though I’ve also been shaving as long as you (hey, does that AUTOMATICALLY make me an OLD man? 👨🏼‍🦳), I have NO clue what all these “bases” mean (mliksteak, serio, etc.).

(BTW, love the title of the thread! I could imagine some older gentleman, in a bar, wearing a raincoat and a fedora, nursing an “old fashioned,” while standing next to a piano, reminiscing about shaves of old. 💈😎)
Haha. I like your description, unfortunately I’m nothing like that.

From1963-2009, I shaved with electrics, or injectors & carts using canned foam. It wasn't until I was in my '60s, nearing retirement, that I found B&B and switched to DE. Other than Harris Almond and Lavender, all of my preferred soaps are artisanal (Captain's Choice, Stirling or RazoRock). Modern brushes also make a big difference. I hated my first pure badger and several boars. If it wasn't for Rooney & Simpson 3-bands. then Thater & Shavemac 2-bands, I might have reverted back to cart.

As far as microbreweries, I only drink Smithwicks Pale or Bass Pale Ale (even USA Bass). I find that micros are either over-hopped, or flavored for the youngins. If a bar or restaurant doesn't offer Smithwicks or Bass, I order my standby, a double Beefeater & tonic.
“…I order my standby, a double Beefeater & tonic..”

A simple classic that works EVERY time.

Make that another round! 🍸😎

I honestly think your hypothesis is based on your own anecdotal experience and may not be true of the general shaving community. Firstly, as already stated, there are plenty of old school soaps out there that are perfectly capable of giving excellent shaves. In addition, while you may have only gotten mediocre shaves for 15 years, people have been getting excellent close shaves for decades, well before the rash of designer soaps. I agree that there are lots of new soaps out there that can provide excellent shaves, but, I just don't feel there is any revolutionary change in shave closeness because of new soaps alone.

There are lots of shaving soaps and creams that will give a close shave. However, getting a close shave is only part of a great shaving experience, especially for those of us with sensitive skin. While I can still get a close shave with many traditional products, many of those soaps and creams leave my face feeling terrible afterward. The only two traditional products I have used that I recommend are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac, although they still do not come anywhere near the best soaps in my collection.

Some of the newer artisan soaps provide a nice scent, a close shave, minimal irritation and leave my skin feeling soft and conditioned for up to 24 hours. There are no traditional products that can come close to providing that overall experience.

I realize that those whose skin is not sensitive might not need or want the type of experience I welcome. For those folks, traditional products, even Arko, might be just fine.

ion.

There are lots of shaving soaps and creams that will give a close shave. However, getting a close shave is only part of a great shaving experience, especially for those of us with sensitive skin. While I can still get a close shave with many traditional products, many of those soaps and creams leave my face feeling terrible afterward. The only two traditional products I have used that I recommend are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac, although they still do not come anywhere near the best soaps in my collection.

Some of the newer artisan soaps provide a nice scent, a close shave, minimal irritation and leave my skin feeling soft and conditioned for up to 24 hours. There are no traditional products that can come close to providing that overall experience.

I realize that those whose skin is not sensitive might not need or want the type of experience I welcome. For those folks, traditional products, even Arko, might be just fine.

ion.

agree with the sensitive etc...
their are no absolutes and everyone has things they notice while others do not !
the avg joe is just that :) they are lucky as they can use most things

which artisan soaps have you found to work for ya :)

I need to try the PPA CK-6 stuff
also another company here in Arizona forgot the name :)
also the Saponificio soaps (recommended by so many)
going to try some nivea stuff as the balm does well with my skin
I do have mitchel's wool fat was told hard water is tough with that and I agree when I can dial it in seems nice just need to perfect it with the hard water really do not want to have to have bottled water in the bathroom :) but maybe have to try that after I run the course of soaps

the Fine products like the AS I love scent and how it feels but do have some allergy sinus issues not skin lucky but that means its touchy to use the Fine soap seems to perform well enough

the stirling soaps I like but man the post products freaking burn my skin like no tomorrow as in red irritated burn

for sure that sensitive skin type :) I love tradition and the idea of Cella and the like (used cella today) but hopped it up with some cremo otherwise on its own one pass and its like 0 glide left no matter what ratios I play with and get ?

for the face feel I find the TOBS sensitive does well and I dont have that open my mouth everything feels tight after I get and I hate the I feel my skin of some where I can just tell it has this feel to it that I know its there ? not sure if that makes sense to anyone maybe those with sensitive skin no what I mean and then balm or lotion you just feel the same but with lotion or balm :) hahahahaha

bottom line have not found that one that is like WOW this is it yet :) but still looking so I have a no worries attitude

Last edited:
Top Bottom