What's new

Soap Tests, aka culling the herd.

So... shave update.

Have a few brushless creams I'm going to work in there. The first was about and hour and a half ago. Duke Cannon Superior Grade Shave cream.

It's meant to be used brushless, so I did not even try lathering it though I have seen some do so. To me the whole appeal of a brushless cream is that it's BRUSHLESS. This can be nice for travel, or if you don't like doing the dishes after your shave or even to shave like grandpa did, because folks, believe it or not in the 40's - 60's there were quite a few that appeared to be pretty popular until the canned foam won out over them.

I often wonder if the canned foam won because it was better, or was it simply because some brushless creams are not all that white and it's a bit harder to see where you have been and have not been. That really doesn't bother me. I don't have an issue knowing where I shaved and have yet to shave.

Back to the shave. Post shower as always. Simply applied an almond sized drop onto my wet face and worked around and then did the first pass (WTG). On the second pass, I splashed on some water and then did the same thing only taking a slightly larger portion of shaving cream. (I felt like I could have used a bit more on the first pass). Did the ATG pass.

Got a great shave and my skin doesn't even know I shaved as far as any irritation. So for me, this one is a winner. I know that you can't whip it into a foamy froth with a brush will mean many aren't interested, fine. There is a place in my rotation for good brushless creams.

I was just thinking this weekend about the soaps I have liked. One thing they all seem to have in common is they are very mild. Now if I lived in the old west and was all dirty, sweaty and hadn't shaved for a week, I think a good powerful soap would be a good choice. The natural oils on my skin would just about be a pre-shave and mix with the soap and maybe "gentle-ize" things a bit. I'm soft though and have become accustomed to bathing daily before my shave. That means I don't need much in the way of a powerful soap. So gentle soaps or even brushless creams are probably nicer to my skin.
Just stumbled across Duke Cannon Superior shaving cream myself and bought some on a whim. Searching all over this forum and this was the only reference I found (for the shaving cream, lots for soap). Have to say it was great, liked it even better than Jack Black shaving cream that gets so much attention. Might just be my new regular.

Top Bottom