What's new

Soap suggestions for person with sensitive skin with coarse hair who has only used creams before?

I'm looking to order a few samples from maggard razors and am open to suggestions.

I have sensitive skin and get razor burn easily.

I've heard good things about baume.be so they are definitely on the list but am open to other suggestions.

Any suggestions of a good place to order a bunch of samples besides maggard is also appreciated

Maggard’s has a great selection of samples. I’ve only only had samples of Southern Witchcrafts and LA Shaving Co with Martin De Candre on the way. If you are sensitive to fragrances maybe throw a couple of unscented samples in your order. What creams have you used and with what results?

Maggard’s has a great selection of samples. I’ve only only had samples of Southern Witchcrafts and LA Shaving Co with Martin De Candre on the way. If you are sensitive to fragrances maybe throw a couple of unscented samples in your order. What creams have you used and with what results?
Tobs, lavender and Jeremy, both with OK results.
Truefit and hill ultimate comfort with pretty good results

Have you been able to narrow down what gives you irritation? I know for me I stopped brushing the lather in too much and switched to gently painting it on. That, along with improving my technique and eliminating the alum block from my post shave routine and I’m able shave every day with little irritation.
Tobs, lavender and Jeremy, both with OK results.
Truefit and hill ultimate comfort with pretty good results

Maybe you shall test Proraso Red, as well as their White and Blue product lines. I myself have sensitive skin and these Proraso's work very well for me. Other good performers are Tabac, Speick and also La Toja. You will find a suitable soap, just take your time and happy shavings during your journey to your preferred soap.

Have you been able to narrow down what gives you irritation? I know for me I stopped brushing the lather in too much and switched to gently painting it on. That, along with improving my technique and eliminating the alum block from my post shave routine and I’m able shave every day with little irritation.

Like you said, over zealously brushing was a problem. I also found that over working the lather until it resembled "whip cream" was a mistake, for me anyway, and a less worked slicker cream works best for me

Maybe you shall test Proraso Red, as well as their White and Blue product lines. I myself have sensitive skin and these Proraso's work very well for me. Other good performers are Tabac, Speick and also La Toja. You will find a suitable soap, just take your time and happy shavings during your journey to your preferred soap.
Never heard of la toja, the name is enough for me to try it out

You might like Cella Bio. Made for sensitive skin. It's also been dermatologically tested. Very good performance. Reasonable cost.
cella-bio-1.jpeg

I'm looking to order a few samples from maggard razors and am open to suggestions.

I've heard good things about baume.be so they are definitely on the list but am open to other suggestions.

Any suggestions of a good place to order a bunch of samples besides maggard is also appreciated
Anything from Ariana & Evans will be great. The post-shave, nourishing properties of their soaps are second to none. I second @Atlantic59 - Cella Extra Extra Bio is phenomenal. One of my all-time favorites.

Reactions: GNR

Often it is the added fragrance that causes irritation. You might be better off with an unscented soap like this Captain's Choice Unscented Soap and then use whatever cologne you like after the shave.

You might want to try something from Stirling, they sell sample pucks of all the soaps they make. They offer beef-tallow based soaps, mutton-tallow based soaps; scented, unscented, no menthol, light on menthol ("Chill" soaps) or heavy on menthol ("Glacial" soaps). Personally I find a mentholated soap helps eliminate irritation and just flat out feels nice. $3.50 for a one-ounce puck.

I would echo trying unscented soaps first. I've also got sensitive skin and find that minimizing/isolating factors that cause it can help in the process of creating a shave that's comfortable with you.
Kind of off topic, and you're probably already doing this, but here are a couple of factors I've learned to take into account to minimize irritation.

1. Soap scent: Go unscented first off, to simplify things. Once you know the soap base works, you can venture into scents.
-Tough to say what brand will work best for you: If one has an unscented version, I'd recommend starting with that.
-A lighter scented soap that has been quite protective for me is Haslinger Schafmilch.
2. Soap Ingredients: By trial and error I've found that almond oil gives me a skin reaction. Some other ingredient might cause you some post-shave irritation, regardless of scent.
3. Post-shave: Finding a post-shave routine that worked for me really helped. I found it was a mentholated aftershave followed by some basic skin lotion.

Finally, once you find something that works for you (like a soap), keep with that to reduce variables while you isolate your next comfortable factor (razor, blade, brush, post-shave).

Bit of a ramble, but hope it helps. Happy Shopping and happy shaving!

Top Bottom