What's new

Soap Snob in Love - An “OMO” Thread

OMO - One Man’s Opinion :cool:
So, I’ve been around a looong time and owned tons and tons of soaps (and a few creams to be honest).
1st came the English alphabet soup, GFT, TOBS, DRH et al.
Then the Classics - Cella, Tabac, MDC, Blenheim et al.
All of the above resulting in many happy shaves and fully finished tubs/pucks.

Then I really started accumulating soaps - SMN, SV, MWF, Haslinger, Panna Crema, Valobra, AoS (tallow) etc etc and a bevy of Artisans:
Mike’s, QCS, Fine, WK, DG (the Chatillon collabs), A&E, Stirling, B&M, GD, Eufros, PAA, T&S and so on and so forth.
In this accumulating phase, many great soaps gave many great shaves. And yet, oddly, with exception of 1 Mike’s, not a single one did I fully finish. Most have moved on via sale or PIF. Only a very few remain.

And now along comes a soap that I truly cannot believe is this good - from the standpoint of post-shave feel - M&M in Kodiak base. I have never, ever encountered a soap that left my face feeling moisturized and smooth a full 12+ hours after a shave!!! And that’s w/o any aftershave, toner or balm! How is that even possible.
So far, I’ve bought a full tub of the Nantahala and a sample pouch of the “Old Sport”. I eagerly await their next release hoping it’s a scent I can really appreciate. Until then, I’ll just keep stroking my cheeks, lol, until I use up the ones I have :) .
Happy shaving folks.

I have Nantahala and it's a great soap, the issue i have is that it's too moisturizing for me.
Great soap though and I'll continue to use it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
And now along comes a soap that I truly cannot believe is this good - from the standpoint of post-shave feel - M&M in Kodiak base. I have never, ever encountered a soap that left my face feeling moisturized and smooth a full 12+ hours after a shave!!! And that’s w/o any aftershave, toner or balm! How is that even possible.

My own eye opening moment was my first use of Pre de Provence 63. After that I started comparing soaps to it, with an emphasis on post shave feel while eliminating the harshness from Feather blades.

When I test a new soap or cream, it doesnt earn its place on my shelf unless it passes what I've grown to call 'The Feather Test'. Some do, some dont. Those that have, stay on my shelf. Those that dont, do not.

All of my top soaps and creams perform very closely to each other and each one of them removes the harshness from Feather blades while giving me a fantastic post shave feel. I dont use any post shave products.

I believe its all been about finding the best soaps for my skin. It sounds like you've found similar. Nice aint it?

It sure is @Esox. Can’t give you the “Feather” endorsement on the M&M since my Feathers remain unopened as I continue to work my way thru a large stash of Personna “Meds”

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It sure is @Esox. Can’t give you the “Feather” endorsement on the M&M since my Feathers remain unopened as I continue to work my way thru a large stash of Personna “Meds”

Since I've found soaps that better agree with my skin, Feather has become my #1 blade and I use a Fatip Grande 98% of the time when using a DE.

Finding the right soaps for each of us, I think, is just as important as the right razor or blade. We're all individuals and while, for example, Tabac may work exceptionally well for many, its no longer on my shelf. Its a great soap, but its not a great soap for me or my skin.

I have a tin of SV and a tub of Southern Witchcrafts on their way to me. SV I understand to be an excellent soap, as well as Southern Witchcrafts but I've not tried either of them before. This is why I pay attention to posts such as yours highlighting a soap I hadnt heard of. I'll get to it one day too.

I’ve shown all but five the door. A&E and Zingari man are currently enroute to fight it out for the one remaining spot in my rotation. I have finished most of them.

Top Bottom