What's new

Soap Smelling (or performing) So Bad You Had to Toss It?

I add Dr.Bonners to mixes of shave soap to get a peppermint feel and smell to 10 or more soaps I mix togethet.Terrible alone .....I don't think its a shave soap...they can't be that dumb.But as a mixer its ok!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1. Stirling-Texas on fire ("lets go with ashtray for our next scent!")
2. Meißner-Black beer (where was the beer in that? Strange smell))
3. Wholly Kaw-Entropy man (What was that supposed to be? Chemical plant?)
4. B&M- Diamond ( I understand what it can be for the right person, but for me it smelled like public park trashcan)
5. Arko (of course)

1.) Arko smells like a urinal puck to me.
2.) Tabac, I got a heavy floral that gave me a headache.
3.) DG Darkfall. The scent sounded like it might be great. But I got a rank, dirty goat musk kinda smell. Haven’t tried another DG product.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Excruciating fragrance oil scents with no direction and far too strong. It’s a shame really.
That is many U.S. artisans. I've sworn off. I'm mostly enjoying long term name brands and a very few European artisans. That the Europeans have to do the testing rigor they do, keeps the scent strength to a manageable level IMO.

I love my dr Harris soaps, but I can’t stand the smell of the almond one. It just smells like wet cardboard to me.
I love how it performs, but the smell I can’t deal with.

I have a stick of Arko that I haven't brought myself to use. To me it smells like a combination of Toilet Duck branded cleaner and toothpaste. I can't bring myself to imbue that smell in all my brushes, and then spread it over my face. I understand many enjoy that scent and, just not for me.
Lol simply put it in an open jar in the toilet as airtamer.... when it is no longer up to the task it is starting to think about shaving with it.

B&M eigengrau it smells like putrefied and strongly reminds me of the smell when I was cleaning out a clogged plant filter for my koi pond.

Both fougeres of b&m have the same rank in the base soap. But they are more tolerable

All three are samples so not sure if they end up in some frankensoap or that I think they are even to strong to combat arko

That is many U.S. artisans. I've sworn off. I'm mostly enjoying long term name brands and a very few European artisans. That the Europeans have to do the testing rigor they do, keeps the scent strength to a manageable level IMO.

I have not purchased TOBS sandalwood recently, but that is the strongest fragrance of any soap in my den. It is so strong that I reserve it for defunking new natural hair brushes.

Arko isn't allowed in my house. The scent is universally despised by everyone in my house.

Tossed an artisanal that had enough patchouli to overwhelm the dairy farm down the road from us.

After a number of attempts to make a reasonable lather, I ended up using a puck of MWF as a body soap.

Wasn't a fan of TOBS Sandalwood, but used it anyway. Worked well enough, but the scent wasn't what I had hoped for.

After 10+ years of wetshaving, I finally found La Toja and I'm absolutely loving every aspect of it.

I was even expecting to attract flies. It was that bad. I better not think more of it. It may cause Post Traumatic Shave Syndrome. I’m to scared to order another sample to give a second chance.

I ... Couldn't..... Breathe :lol:
My friends are giving me weird looks for laughing so hard.

Bonus, I learnt a new term : Post Traumatic Shave Syndrome.

Sorry but not sorry for your experience, otherwise how would you have come up with this gem of a message ?

I had to discard (store in darkest corner) a few shave cream.

It's said to have scents of strawberries and other fruits.
It started with the fruits alright, then right when I've placed the lather on my face, the fruity scent profile died and turned into the stinkiest cough syrup.

I had to drop the razor and rinse the lather off, I could smell the cough syrup all day long and I got a headache because of it.

Other cream tube said that it has aloe vera effects.
Now this time I was prepared and lathered it in bowl, waited a few minutes to see if this also turns into cough syrup smell.

It seemed stable and so I started painting the lather on my face and lo and behold, this cream tube which says Aloe Vera as description had SO MUCH menthol in it, that it burner my face.
It was red for hours and no, I didn't shaved with it.

I've kept these two as a ' Gift ' to someone who deserves this kind of treachery.

Got a sample of Shannon’s Soap when I bought one of my Zenith brushes. The scent was called black magic... it reminded me of whatever deodorizer cleaning solution a pat veterinarian would spray after expressing a dogs anal gland.

I guess I just don’t have it in me to be wasteful. I pressed it into a lather bowl this very afternoon as my wife didn’t mind the scent and said she’d use it for shaving her gams. Once it was lathered they scent profile changed and it was actually a nice scent but for some reason the soap in its packaging was a bit traumatic to my senses.
Sounds like b&m fougere if you open the can neeeeh but smells nice as a lather and performs very well

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have not purchased TOBS sandalwood recently, but that is the strongest fragrance of any soap in my den. It is so strong that I reserve it for defunking new natural hair brushes.
I've not tried that. The only one of theirs I've had is Lavender which was meh and I didn't care for the purple dye. As to the dye - just why??

AFAIK, I only have two soaps from England in my house - MWF and some St. James Clary Sage (the Clary Sage is strong but nice and likely made by TOBS, TH,Trumper, similar). My European artisan stuff is generally are a few small German, Austrian and French soaps that are cold saponified, lightly scented and not widely used in the U.S. that I can tell.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I came close. I had an amber & oud soap. These are a couple of my favorite scents, but the soap smelled like neither. I left the cover off and ended up with a slightly unhappy scent.

1. Wilkinson Sword Shaving Soap. I just couldn’t get thick lather from it... PIF’ed to a guy I recruited to DE shaving.
2. TOBS Sandalwood Shave Stick. It became slimy. No idea what happened. Binned it.
3. I love Cella. Unfortunately, I didn’t portion my tub and it turned rancid.
4. Proraso Red. Did not perform as well as my other soaps, so PIF’ed it.

Bonus:
Tabac Cream: Separated in tube. Binned it.
Musgo Real creams Classic and Oak Moss: each hardened in tube. Binned.

Just imagine....Durian scented shaving soap...mmm...that pungent odor of raw sewage....

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk
Swenson even makes durian ice cream. It is palatable for me just not a fan and if it is the mild ripe scent and not the overripe scent you might get lots of female asian attention whereas the latter will get you kicked out of public transport and hotels lol.
Might send the hubby of my ex Thai gf a bottle ....... of the former we are still friends :)

Geo. F Trumper Eucris and Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet soaps - magnificent scents; pathetic lather.
Wholly Kaw Project Leather and Cuero Oscuro - abominable scents.

Top Bottom