What's new

Soap Smelling (or performing) So Bad You Had to Toss It?

Herban Cowboy was the worst performing shave soap I ever tried; could not get a decent lather no matter how much I tried.

TOBS Avocado. I wasn’t fond of the smell, and neither was my wife. Luckily it was only a sample size! Also got a sample of TOBS Sandalwood and that smelled and performed great! To my wife’s approval also!

Meißner Strong'n Scottish is supposed to contain Scotch whisky. Perhaps they used one of the heavily peated Scotches from Islay such as Ardbeg, Lagavulin, or Laphroaig.

Could be, or they took that ashtray from the train-station and aged it ten years in an oak barrel, then sprinkled it into the soap.

Didn’t throw them away but bought Sni Mato on a friend’s recommendation and hated it from the first second I opened the tub. I shaved with it just to see and it clung around the bathroom until the next day. Gave it to the friend that recommended it.

Won a tub of Asian Pear on IG and used it once and gave it away. It smelled like plastic to me. Hated it.
I tried the aftershave and just about hurled everytime I ever used it!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I’m curious though, what were expecting from a soap that is advertised to smell like:

Ozone, rain, seaweed and DIRT

???

🤭

I have a few other soaps specifically with dirt as a component and they don't smell bad - CF Sherlock is one. Most vetyver scents have an earthy element. I'm not sure what I expected, but what I didn't expect was rancid hose water.

I would never bin anything, there should be an unwanted item PIF thread. When I have unwanted items I give them away or added them to pass around boxes.

I've had two soaps out of maybe 100 I've owned or tried that I only used once. I still have them and perhaps will send them to someone who is willing to just pay postage. I can't see selling something I dislike intensely. It doesn't seem fair. The first is Barrister & Mann's Night Music. It just smells nasty - putrid. The second is Phoenix Artisans Accourtrements (PAA) Doppelgänger Tricolor Label Artisan Shave Soap | CK-6. I've written about this soap on the Sir Irisch Moos (SIM) Doppelganger thread as many of us try to find a replacement for SIM. As I said on that thread, the scent reminds me of a urinal with an odor absorbing puck in it. The performance of CK-6 is fabulous but the scent was advertised by PAA as a Doppelganger of SIM and it's not even close, as in light years apart.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Luckily for me I have a good friend that can use just about any soap or blade without a problem, so any new things I try that doesn't agree with me I give to him. However, I would never give him anything I think is defective in any way, those items go in the bin.

I had a sample of Australia Private Reserve Bombora. The description sounded like it would be right up my alley for the types of scents I like.

Have the same issue with APR. Glad I Pastuers had them in person, because I did not like anything I sniffed, despite sounding right up my alley.

Found Penhaligon's English Fern Shave soap on a 50% off sale. Had not read the reviews on their middle formula (the first non-tallow). Loved the scent but it wound up as bath soap.

Wholly Kaw Tempest - I got rid of this after one shave. I just couldn't do that wet rock smell.

Barrister & Mann Eventide - I thought I would love this based on the listed notes, but it just didn't work for me.

Grooming Department Ambrosia - This was one of his earlier formulations, and it had this odd rancid meat smell.

i try not to toss anything, but MWF smelled to me like lard rendered slightly too high a temp and that smell never overcame whatever the scent/frgrance was supposed to be.

Top Bottom