What's new

Soap Smelling (or performing) So Bad You Had to Toss It?

I ordered some Maggard Razors branded soap and it burned my face. Can't remember the scent; I threw it out. Been hesitant to use any of there soaps - or Through the Fire Fine Craft, who makes them - since.

I had an experience with a Maggard Chai Tea that lit me up. I bought it when Maggard was liquidating this soap with a disclaimer about the cinnamon burning many customers in this TTFFC formulation. I had nothing but good experiences with their London Barbershop and Limes & Bergamot out their stock at a discount and had never had any problems with a shave soap,so I figured that it would be okay. I was wrong.

Which brings me to my next point, how do we bring back bombora!!!! Lol. I want the aftershave so bad.

I didn't even know it wasn't in production anymore. I am sure it'll come back. Dan releases and re-releases items seasonally. I would expect this to make an appearance later in the year as we approach Aussie summer.

And I can add two more soaps to the list of things I had to throw out...tried my old (1 year old) Murphy and McNeil soaps today and the Mandate of Heaven had begun to turn rancid (unmistakable smell really) and Ouroboros had begun to grow something I didn't want to put on my face. Before someone asks...these were the OG formula and I always allowed them to dry for 24-48 hours after use, so this isn't user error as I have never had a soap go bad before.

Bought a 12 pack of modern Williams a few years ago (I got it for like $12) to give it a try. No matter what I did, I could only wind up with a load of suds weaker than anything I could get out of liquid hand soap. Not usable for shaving. It has since been re-purposed as the bath bar I use for my dog. He's fine with it, so so it ended up not being a "bad" buy.

Maybe I'll try to get a vintage puck of Williams at some point, but my experience with the modern stuff doesn't make me want to go out of my way.
The vintage stuff is really great. No comparison at all with modern Williams. If you find a puck of it, jump on it.

Only ever threw out two soaps

1, Six sticks of Arko - tried for days to air it out, the scent made me physically ill.
2, P&B Spitfire - an in your face smokiness that is just god damn awful.

YMMV, of course.

I've come close, but never actually tossed a soap, though I'll admit to putting some in the back of the cabinet for a few years. Far back. Paraphrasing Daniel Boone, "Never been lost, but I was a mite bewildered for three days once."

La marque mon savon...100%chimique!!
Le pire savon de ma vie!! Il ce trouve en grande surface en France pour 1€ quand tu ouvre la boîte t'as envie de vomir.

Tu n’as pas lu la composition. Il n'est pas 100% chimique.
3e ingrédients Sodium Tallowate. C'est du Suif. Suif — Wikipédia - https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suif
Produit animal. Les savons très chers ont du Suif.
Tout est dans la tête. Ce n’est pas le prix qui fait la qualité.

My wife reported back that the soap lacked cushion, but was quite slick. I may test lather it and see. From handling it when she had it out it was quite slick. I have a feeling the absence of cushion was too much water.

wife has family in the area where the soap is made. The prices are pretty good for artisan soap. If it dials in wel and has the slickness and has some decent cushion, I’d explore some of the other scents. Once a variety of mint fragrance emerged from this Black magic it was smelling alright. But that was dormant in the scent profile until lathered.
It was strange reading about your problems with Shannon’s. I have four of them (clearance sale) And have been quite impressed. I’ve tried to buy Holy Kaw and A&E soaps but reading their scent profiles, I could never find one that excited me enough to make a purchase.

It was strange reading about your problems with Shannon’s. I have four of them (clearance sale) And have been quite impressed. I’ve tried to buy Holy Kaw and A&E soaps but reading their scent profiles, I could never find one that excited me enough to make a purchase.
I didn't have the issues my wife had with it. I was just not able to warm up to scent more than anything else.

Dr.Bonners shaving soap was pretty bad as it had no slickness or post conditioning.Chatillion Lux -Sni Mato aftershave smelled so bad I couldn't use it without heaving.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

here are mine:
I couldn't stand the smell of Chiseled Face pine tar. Gave it to a fellow shaver at work and he said it didnt stink when lathered. It was only a sample, so no biggie.

Barrister & Mann Baudelaire. Got a sample, and its pretty funky. Havent thrown it out yet, but its in the pif pile. I might test lather it, but im afraid it might permanently stink up a brush.

Stirling is my favorite soap maker, and I have tried a lot of their scents (they have awesome samples); but i Couldn't stand the smell of Blu, or Ramblin man. They both went in the trash.

Ogallala bay rum and orange. Loved the scent. Never could get it to work well for me, so I eventually threw it away.
You are right Beaudelaire smells like a rank Fougere.....its shaves good smells bad#

Arko

I was on holiday staying in Aachen about eight years ago and one morning I suddenly could no longer stand the stench. Into the bin.

Luckily there was an apotheke nearby with 75 cent Palmolive sticks.
I agree I bought a stick and it lathered ok and the shave was ok but the smell was not good......I don't understand why so many people like it other than its cheap!

Barrister and Mann’s Diamond is just awful. Who wants to shave with a soap that smells like a grass stain and beer??

Monsavon from France has an odd industrial cleaner scent. Tossed it. No big deal at just 1euro.

Caties Bubbles Ocean Grove. The owner should be tarred and feathered for putting that fragrance into a shaving soap with any possibility of a man using it. It smells like women’s shampoo and didn’t perform well either.

I’m not scared of gender-bending scents either, I love me some Tabac! I also didn’t like the small 4oz pour and a label that was tearing along the edges right out of the box. Cheap cheap cheap product for the $14 I spent on it.

Caties Bubbles Ocean Grove. The owner should be tarred and feathered for putting that fragrance into a shaving soap with any possibility of a man using it. It smells like women’s shampoo and didn’t perform well either.

I’m not scared of gender-bending scents either, I love me some Tabac! I also didn’t like the small 4oz pour and a label that was tearing along the edges right out of the box. Cheap cheap cheap product for the $14 I spent on it.
Interesting. I get mild salty sea air notes.

I found MWF to irritate my skin. After a few minutes on my face it starts to itch pretty bad. I ended up chucking it. I had too many good performers in my den to worry about it. Performance was great but this one just didn’t agree with me for some reason. Luckily other lanolin soaps seem to be ok.

I found MWF to irritate my skin. After a few minutes on my face it starts to itch pretty bad. I ended up chucking it. I had too many good performers in my den to worry about it. Performance was great but this one just didn’t agree with me for some reason. Luckily other lanolin soaps seem to be ok.
Same for me as well. But my second sample of MWF didn't burn my skin, only the first one did. Really weird because my skin doesn't react to lanolin.

Top Bottom