What's new

Soap Smelling (or performing) So Bad You Had to Toss It?

Tossed? Nothing. Everything can be used in the shower.

Sold or relegated to the shower every time I tried it?

Probably MWF. I recall giving that soap 3-4 buys back when it was one of the soaps everyone raved about. Every time the lather was subpar, I'd sell it, then someone would say "Oh you have to lather it like this", I'd buy a new bowl... try it again, still poor, sell it... a few months later... etc.

I'm pretty sure I got Shannon Black Magic sample from a vendor along with a brush awhile back (Does maggard send samples of it out... maybe with a knot purchase)? I don't remember the scent being particularly offensive.

Bought a 12 pack of modern Williams a few years ago (I got it for like $12) to give it a try. No matter what I did, I could only wind up with a load of suds weaker than anything I could get out of liquid hand soap. Not usable for shaving. It has since been re-purposed as the bath bar I use for my dog. He's fine with it, so so it ended up not being a "bad" buy.

Maybe I'll try to get a vintage puck of Williams at some point, but my experience with the modern stuff doesn't make me want to go out of my way.

I had a sample of Australia Private Reserve Bombora. The description sounded like it would be right up my alley for the types of scents I like.

I couldn’t even finish and had to stop and wash my face with multiple different chemicals, anything I could get my hands on, to get rid of the stench. It must have been a bad batch. It smelled like a cattle stockyard in hot sun. In particular, in Central California, there is a huge stockyard of thousands of cattle where one of the main interstate highways passes through. It smells really bad. That place was the scent of my sample.

I was even expecting to attract flies. It was that bad. I better not think more of it. It may cause Post Traumatic Shave Syndrome. I’m to scared to order another sample to give a second chance.
Are you trolling Dan or are you being straight forward? I love that scent!! Might be one of my favorites. Did it go rancid or something? Do you still have it?

Are you trolling Dan or are you being straight forward? I love that scent!! Might be one of my favorites. Did it go rancid or something? Do you still have it?

It was a sample, not a whole tub. It cost me only a couple bucks. I figure it must have been bad. I tossed it. It wasn’t even worthy for hand washing. It was very disappointing to say the least. I’m done with blind buying whole tubs, so unless there is a guarantee good sample, I’m staying clear.

It was a sample, not a whole tub. It cost me only a couple bucks. I figure it must have been bad. I tossed it. It wasn’t even worthy for hand washing. It was very disappointing to say the least. I’m done with blind buying whole tubs, so unless there is a guarantee good sample, I’m staying clear.
Right there with you on the blind buys. I have so many samples.

Bombora is also one of my favorites. I am certain the sample was spoiled. Same happened to me with a couple of MMcN samples previously.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m certain it was a bad sample and possibly maybe it wasn’t even Bombora and something else. The color looked ok.

A similar experience happened with another soap. I won’t even mention its name but it has similar scent profile to Bombora. That one had a faint note of man body odor. The smell of a crowded DMV office. I had my wife smell it just to be sure I wasn’t going crazy and she noticed it also. The performance was ok but I had to wash off my face and sadly that was not a sample. That’s what put an end to my blind buying based on going off of descriptions.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I just washed the remnants of a Taylors of Old Bond Street cream sample down the sink today. Tried it several times with different brushes, and it didn't give me the lather I want. For those who like rich lathers, it will probably work well, but I don't like anything that muffles blade feel, as that always leads to lesser quality shaves.

Never could get Mystic Waters to work. Mama Bear Florida Water either. Both found homes elsewhere. Williams Mug? Horrid..shower duty. Some artisan soap (cannot remember the name) I bought in St. Augustine was claiming to be a shave soap, not hardly. Wasn't even that great in the shower.

Herban Cowboy, Joshua Tree, Dr. Bronners all went to the shower.

Most recently Buff City. Smelled great, just wasn't shave soap. Olive oil!

AA
Iagree Dr.Bonners was the worst soap.....no cushion or glide at all.....just the peppermint scent-strong.Evidently no one who created it shaved with it.Better as a runny body soap.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Didn’t throw them away but bought Sni Mato on a friend’s recommendation and hated it from the first second I opened the tub. I shaved with it just to see and it clung around the bathroom until the next day. Gave it to the friend that recommended it.

Won a tub of Asian Pear on IG and used it once and gave it away. It smelled like plastic to me. Hated it.
Sni Mato was the worst smelling soap and Chatillion Lux aftershave I've ever smelled...I admittedly gagged after I allied the aftershave....that one was a failure ....why was it sold?

Col Conk Bay Rum. The only soap I ever trashed after one shave. Worst performing and scented soap I ever used, and this from a bay rum fan.

here are mine:
I couldn't stand the smell of Chiseled Face pine tar. Gave it to a fellow shaver at work and he said it didnt stink when lathered. It was only a sample, so no biggie.

Barrister & Mann Baudelaire. Got a sample, and its pretty funky. Havent thrown it out yet, but its in the pif pile. I might test lather it, but im afraid it might permanently stink up a brush.

Stirling is my favorite soap maker, and I have tried a lot of their scents (they have awesome samples); but i Couldn't stand the smell of Blu, or Ramblin man. They both went in the trash.

Ogallala bay rum and orange. Loved the scent. Never could get it to work well for me, so I eventually threw it away.
Baudelaire is a true Fougere and they ate earthy and funky.That one isnt good but it lathers well and feels good on the skin and if you mix it ....it gets much better!

Arko

I was on holiday staying in Aachen about eight years ago and one morning I suddenly could no longer stand the stench. Into the bin.

Luckily there was an apotheke nearby with 75 cent Palmolive sticks.
I think Arko stinks....you get what you pay for!

I had a sample of Australia Private Reserve Bombora. The description sounded like it would be right up my alley for the types of scents I like.

I couldn’t even finish and had to stop and wash my face with multiple different chemicals, anything I could get my hands on, to get rid of the stench. It must have been a bad batch. It smelled like a cattle stockyard in hot sun. In particular, in Central California, there is a huge stockyard of thousands of cattle where one of the main interstate highways passes through. It smells really bad. That place was the scent of my sample.

I was even expecting to attract flies. It was that bad. I better not think more of it. It may cause Post Traumatic Shave Syndrome. I’m to scared to order another sample to give a second chance.

You referring to the 99. Cause there are a few huge cattle ranches along the 99 and a couple on the 5 in Kern County. The description you give I can totally smell it without the soap in front of me. And with that description I will never go near that soap.

Yes, that‘s the area highway 99. One of those long stretches that go forever. Those stockyards really smell horrible. It‘s a place you only need to smell one time and you’ll remember it the rest of your life.

To be fair though, it was a sample I had. The sample was unmarked but it did come from a reliable source. Personally I’m not going to go out and buy a full tub of this just because I lot of guys say it smells great and works great, but I might, just might, try another sample if I can find a different source that has Bombora.

Sni Mato was the worst smelling soap and Chatillion Lux aftershave I've ever smelled...I admittedly gagged after I allied the aftershave....that one was a failure ....why was it sold?

I love the scent of Sni Mato. In fact, I own three bottles of the aftershave. I can understand that it can be polarizing. And it certainly lasts all day!

Top Bottom