What's new

Soap scent recommendation

Good evening gentlemen. I just had a first shave with Stirling Noir, which I wass gifted over the weekend. This stuff outperformed anything I have ever tried. But the scent - not for me at all.

This soap was on my wishlist since I thought that I had a somewhat clear idea of how it would smell. I didn't. I love heavy woodsy and spicy scents. My favourite parfums are Jimmy Choo intense man and Philipp Plein no limits. These parfums share some of the notes of the Noir but I don't find them close at all.

The Noir to me smells like an old-school barbershop/my grand dad's bathroom - soapy, glicerin-like. I did cath some flower notes tho. I never smelled the parfum that it was intended to be close to so I really had no idea, I just assumed it would be manly in a different way. I think I might swap this for another scent as I only scooped some out into my bowl to lather up. It's tricky to get stirling here in middle Europe but I found a beautifull shop right over the border and the soap costs $26 shipped. I would feel awfull if it didn't find it's use - unlike the soaps/creams for $2-$3 that are just no good but I wanted to give them a chance and find something nice and cheap.

What would be your recommendations for a soap that smells woody/spicy/smokey/leather-y; just overall heavy and masculine? Is TOBS tobacco one that I should try? That is also on my wishlist. Does stirling have a scent that I'm looking for? (I only looked up the ones that are available to buy where I am and the closest match was Noir)

Good luck and I'm sorry I can't help you. I can't help people I've long known on this front either.

Wanting woodsy, smokey, and leathery but not abiding grandpa is slicing the salami very thinly. This is old and venerable terrain here.

It sounds like you better find a source for Chiseled Face, especially Midnight Stag. I haven't tried it, have a sample. Have read plenty of reviews.

Good evening gentlemen. I just had a first shave with Stirling Noir, which I wass gifted over the weekend. This stuff outperformed anything I have ever tried. But the scent - not for me at all.

This soap was on my wishlist since I thought that I had a somewhat clear idea of how it would smell. I didn't. I love heavy woodsy and spicy scents. My favourite parfums are Jimmy Choo intense man and Philipp Plein no limits. These parfums share some of the notes of the Noir but I don't find them close at all.

The Noir to me smells like an old-school barbershop/my grand dad's bathroom - soapy, glicerin-like. I did cath some flower notes tho. I never smelled the parfum that it was intended to be close to so I really had no idea, I just assumed it would be manly in a different way. I think I might swap this for another scent as I only scooped some out into my bowl to lather up. It's tricky to get stirling here in middle Europe but I found a beautifull shop right over the border and the soap costs $26 shipped. I would feel awfull if it didn't find it's use - unlike the soaps/creams for $2-$3 that are just no good but I wanted to give them a chance and find something nice and cheap.

What would be your recommendations for a soap that smells woody/spicy/smokey/leather-y; just overall heavy and masculine? Is TOBS tobacco one that I should try? That is also on my wishlist. Does stirling have a scent that I'm looking for? (I only looked up the ones that are available to buy where I am and the closest match was Noir)
If you like tobacco, try something like Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars shaving soap. TOBS Sandalwood shaving soap is more of a lighter or flowery sandalwood than a heavier sandalwood like Proraso red. From your post, it seems like you might prefer Proraso red to TOBS Sandalwood.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My girlfriends tell me that ARKO is the most manly scented soap that I have used. Wanting to be attractive to women rather than men, I go for scents that my girlfriends like, not necessarily what I like. I do however like the citrus with floral undertones scent of ARKO.

Last edited:
Thanks for answers. I really need to smell something myself rather than rely on the written scent profile so I guess I will have to stick with what I have and go on a trip to the store which has some soaps to smell them.

My girlfriend tells me that the Philipp Plein parfum that I save for special ocasions is THE most sexy smelling one I ever had and it's really heavy. Some May hate it but I loved it since I smelled it in the shop after it came out. Would be Nice to have a soap that Also smells Nice to me but it's not a pressing matter.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Is Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements available where you are? Check out their Boomtown Bay Rum. Heavy gunpowder and leather mixed with their Bay Rum. Also, their soap, regular CK and CK-6 formula, performs great...very slick and easy to lather.

PAA Speakeasy. Its description is spot on. I love this scent.
Speakeasy - A classic cologne scent that is reminiscent of a bygone era. This scent does not smell like any kind of libation or spirit, but rather a mood (think The Great Gatsby). The scent notes are: Rose, Sage, Bergamot, Citrus, Wood, Amber

May be a tough one to pinpoint a single soap that covers all of those notes. I have soaps that would be options for all of those single notes, but can't think of one I have that entails all. One cologne that comes to mind is Terre D'Hermes for the woodsy and spicy part, but wouldn't say it is smokey. Stirling Arkadia pays homage to TdH, since you've found Stirling to be a good performer for you.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
PAA Speakeasy. Its description is spot on. I love this scent.
Speakeasy - A classic cologne scent that is reminiscent of a bygone era. This scent does not smell like any kind of libation or spirit, but rather a mood (think The Great Gatsby). The scent notes are: Rose, Sage, Bergamot, Citrus, Wood, Amber
I have this aftershave...it is quite nice.

If you want super hardcore version, Uber man stuff I would second the leviathan.. too much for me.. the Pre De Provence #63 recommendation is a good one as well.. the soap performs ok but not super. But the balm with shea butter is top notch. Big aroma and lasts for a while as well. That might be one to add to the cart.

Now there is a fragrance sub forum here. That is where the people with big knowledge of the frag world are located. You may want to post a few of the fragrances you like there and see if they can recommend a high performing soap that wl match. Then you will be set. JM

Try PAA Terra Preta - it smells like dirt, literally, but in a good way - my favorite PAA soap and cologne so far, but it will not be around for long - it is seasonal product - gone at the end of the month.

Top Bottom