What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Yes - I really like the base a lot, but have yet to find a scent that I love. There are a few that are fine but that don't excite me very much. I like florals but was afraid that the Madagascar might be overwhelming with the ylang-ylang.

The Sicily is wonderful fwiw

Hi all,

I was going to keep the box a few more days to re-try Wholly Kaw and maybe a few others, but with the hurricane coming straight for my area I have decided to get the box to safety. It will go out today or tomorrow, ahead of the hurricane.

Hi all,

I was going to keep the box a few more days to re-try Wholly Kaw and maybe a few others, but with the hurricane coming straight for my area I have decided to get the box to safety. It will go out today or tomorrow, ahead of the hurricane.

Thanks for thinking of others and getting the box mailed out. Most importantly though is to be safe my friend. Take care of yourself and your family. I'll pray that it's minor and that everyone is ok once it's all said and done.

David,

Thanks, we have done all we can do to prepare, I am about 100 miles inland, so hopefully that is far enough. This one seems to be more ominous then others I have seen, and I was here for Floyd which left us without power and flooded for 10 days. Thanks also for the prayers, God knows this whole area can use them right now, and don't forget the emergency workers that are running towards this storm to try to get our luxuries (electric, etc) back on for us as soon as possible.

Orlando

PS: Tracking on this label is 9405803699300691756576, and I will drop it off before closing today.

Well, I'm sorry that you've had to evacuate due to the storm. Please give us an update on your safety and God's provision. A little good news amongst the devastation is that our little soap box made it safely to Tennessee last night. I quickly sniffed some Grooming Department and settled on "Absinthe & Leather" for this mornings shave. That and "Angel" smelled great to me. I thought I had enough sample but the lather was very thin. No nicks or anything, but very sketchy. I'll try a larger sample tomorrow but don't know which vendor yet. I'm leaning toward Long Rifle.

Sorry if I miss led anyone, I did not in fact have to evacuate, and with the storm heading so far south compared to the original track we actually fared pretty well (thank God). It was still very windy (50MPH) and is actually still raining, but we have power, and we have each other. I was even able to make it to church this morning after a great shave. Sometimes with all these new brands we forget how the older companies did so well. Shaved with Stroppe Shop Black Tie with tallow. Perfect shave, I really miss them.

Anyway, thank you all for your thoughts and your prayers, we are doing well. At this point 10 have passed because of this storm, and I ask that you direct your prayers for them and their families, as well as all the workers that are still out there turning on power and getting rid of the downed trees.

Sorry if I miss led anyone, I did not in fact have to evacuate, and with the storm heading so far south compared to the original track we actually fared pretty well (thank God). It was still very windy (50MPH) and is actually still raining, but we have power, and we have each other. I was even able to make it to church this morning after a great shave. Sometimes with all these new brands we forget how the older companies did so well. Shaved with Stroppe Shop Black Tie with tallow. Perfect shave, I really miss them.

Anyway, thank you all for your thoughts and your prayers, we are doing well. At this point 10 have passed because of this storm, and I ask that you direct your prayers for them and their families, as well as all the workers that are still out there turning on power and getting rid of the downed trees.

Well said, Orlando. Sorry that I read into your post that you had evacuated. So thankful that all is well with your family. Onto infinitely lesser things, I also had a nice shave before service this morning. I used the "new 2018" formula from Long Rifle. The "Brown Bess" scent was great to me, a little sweet. Reminded me of a more complicated (read 'refined') marzipan from Razorock. I really was torn between this and "Think as Thieves". Scent strength was a nice change for me. I've been 3017'ing some soaps with little strength and not much to say about notes. This was very pleasant and lasted through the shave. The lather itself was silky, reminding me of Cyril R Salter. Protection was good as I didn't/barely felt the blade if I concentrated on zero pressure. Glide was nice, better than the Nivea time that I've been working through. Whatever trouble that I had while lathering yesterday was gone today. I used a little larger chunk but had lather explosion. When I looked back in the lather bowl I was surprised but how much of the scoop was left. It wasn't a big scoop to start with, just amazed at how little product produced such thick lather.

Inland didn't sound much better. I-95 flooded. I'm seeing damage as far inland as Greensboro. It was a very Floyd like storm. Sunset Beach was unscathed while Oak Island was hammered. Here in the hills of Virginia where we only got about 2 inches, we are just watching the rivers rise and it could be bad.
I would be curious to find a soap that works as well as Williams and Arko.

@H4nk It was very Floyd like, I lived in eastern Wilson County when Floyd came through, and spent 10 days with no power and no way out, water all around us. The difference for me is I moved about 20 miles west since then, about 100 feet in elevation from sea level as well. We just had 2 tornadoes early this morning, one in Wilson and one in Wayne county, very close to us, so it is not over per say. The only thing left now is where the rivers will crest, and they will ruin some towns, that I am sure of. Continued prayers for those effected, we were very luck as I said before.

Updated status list

Current Status of Passaround Boxes:

1. cvargo (Box 4 Only) - Done
2. tclobaugh (Box 4 Only) - Done
3. stook2001 - Done
3. BigSpivito - Done
5. dangerousdon (Box 4 Only) - Done
6. bobmsp (Box 4 Only) - Done
7. NickMach007 - Done
8. Baylorgator - Done
9. Grundi - Done
10. SoullessSingularity - done
11. tehnothing - done
12. Merkuryrising - skipped
13. NurseDave - done
14. jsouthard825 (Box 4 Only)
15. oteixeira (Box 4 Only)
16. NyquistRate (Box 4 Only) - in possession of box 4
17. Shave Jacket (Box 3 and 4 Only)
18. M14Shooter
19. Blaidth
21. dfoulk in possession of Box 1, 2 & 3 for refill.

Yesterday's shave was rough with Cafe Orleans from Big Easy. I don't know if it was the base or the scent but my face was irritated before the razor. Today was so much better, a very nice shave with Smooth Operator. In fact, I'd say that it lived up to the name.

Missed a shave yesterday. I had Chelsea's Arabian Nights picked out but it would have put me late for work. Normally that means an easier shave as my two day growth seems softer. I didn't experience that today. Chelsea's didn't have a lot of protection. It was better than some drug store stuff (I'm calling you out, Williams) so I didn't have much blade feel but I certainly felt the weight of the razor. Maybe I was less careful with the zero pressure technique? Anyway, I could deal with the protection. I didn't have any irritation afterward so let's say it did the job. Slickness is a different story. The razor almost wanted to skip, like I was shaving with just water. Mind you, it was better than just water, but not by a huge margin. The scent wasn't much to write about, in fact I barely smelled anything. I did notice that the soap was harder to dig out of the sample container than the majority of soaps. I'm not familiar with this soap's ingredients. Any ideas?

@Shave Jacket coming to you soon.

Missed a shave yesterday. I had Chelsea's Arabian Nights picked out but it would have put me late for work. Normally that means an easier shave as my two day growth seems softer. I didn't experience that today. Chelsea's didn't have a lot of protection. It was better than some drug store stuff (I'm calling you out, Williams) so I didn't have much blade feel but I certainly felt the weight of the razor. Maybe I was less careful with the zero pressure technique? Anyway, I could deal with the protection. I didn't have any irritation afterward so let's say it did the job. Slickness is a different story. The razor almost wanted to skip, like I was shaving with just water. Mind you, it was better than just water, but not by a huge margin. The scent wasn't much to write about, in fact I barely smelled anything. I did notice that the soap was harder to dig out of the sample container than the majority of soaps. I'm not familiar with this soap's ingredients. Any ideas?

@Shave Jacket coming to you soon.

@NyquistRate I'm looking forward to it! I usually start the beard growing process in November and hope to get a go at the box before then. In the meantime @dfoulk has sent me some samples of the new Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Premium versions soaps (replaced the old premium version) that I'll be adding to the box. I plan to try one of these out tonight and will post on the performance in the next few days.

I've received the Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Premium versions soaps in the following scents that will be going into the box: Tashmere, Irish Green Tweed, Smoked Black Tea, Haute Leather & Doc Holiday. The scents on all of these are nice. I tried the Smoked Black Tea last night and must not have gotten enough soap in the bowl because I couldn't get a lather out of it at all (which is a first for me). I usually have no issues getting even cheap soaps to lather so I'm guessing I did something wrong. I will try again tonight and report back on my opinions.

I forgot the box yesterday but managed to get it sent off today. The old one was in bad shape so there's a fresh one in it's way too @Shave Jacket . They said it would arrive Monday and he has the tracking number in PM. I retried Grooming Department and had a fantastic shave yesterday.

Top Bottom