What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Hello I am new here. I was wondering if I can join the pass around.

Sure, just copy the most recent user list that's about a posts up. Put your name in an empty slot and repost the list in this thread. You'll need to get your post count up to participate but you'll have some time before your turn comes up.

Thanks dfoulk.

Here is the list:
1. A. Feitar - In possession box 4
2. ryinzana - In possession Box 3
3. Skipping the rest of the boxes - jldallas - sent Box 1 to spolct to arrive on 9/4/2019.
4. spolct - in possession of boxes 2 & 1. Box 2 should be sent by 9/7.
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21
26. back to dfoulk for refill.

Definitely not ready. I've sniffed about half the soaps in box 1 and did my first shave last night (details later). Box 2 should be arriving today or tomorrow to Montgomery115. I'll probably need about a week more with box 1 which also gives Montgomery a chance at his first box. I know people down the list want a turn but at this point yall sending boxes 3 & 4 on down the pike isn't going to speed things up. Give us new guys a chance to go through what we have without sending more. If you just really really want to send your box on go ahead but I'll need at least a week (probably closer to 1.5 wks) per box.

Yeah, in response to this please do make sure that you guys get a proper turn with each box before sending it on to the next person. It's unfortunate that we got everything jammed up but it's important that everyone gets a good experience with each box. Those that are waiting will definitely get the same consideration when it's their turn.

I don't normally prefer that one person has more than one box at the same time as it's a bigger risk to the passaround (that several boxes could potentially go missing at the same time) but we can certainly make an exception given the current situation so if you have two boxes at once don't feel like you have to rush through one of them. I'm just happy that all boxes are back on track and currently accounted for.

All that I ask is that you keep this thread active while you have a box in your possession. I love it when you guys are sharing your experiences and posting thoughts and reviews. This is what this is all about. I'm not a fan when it goes quiet as it means I usually have to babysit and hunt people down and I don't care for that at all.

Hello I am new here. I was wondering if I can join the pass around.

You can. You just need to repost the list with your name added to an open position. Keep in mind, there is a post # requirement, so if you haven't met it yet, I'd recommend adding your name toward the bottom so that you meet it by the time your turn comes around. You have to meet the minimum posting # by the time it is your turn, not when you sign up. Other than that, when it is your turn you'll send your mailing information to dfoulk/the person ahead of you on the list.

Yeah, in response to this please do make sure that you guys get a proper turn with each box before sending it on to the next person. It's unfortunate that we got everything jammed up but it's important that everyone gets a good experience with each box. Those that are waiting will definitely get the same consideration when it's their turn.

I don't normally prefer that one person has more than one box at the same time as it's a bigger risk to the passaround (that several boxes could potentially go missing at the same time) but we can certainly make an exception given the current situation so if you have two boxes at once don't feel like you have to rush through one of them. I'm just happy that all boxes are back on track and currently accounted for.

All that I ask is that you keep this thread active while you have a box in your possession. I love it when you guys are sharing your experiences and posting thoughts and reviews. This is what this is all about. I'm not a fan when it goes quiet as it means I usually have to babysit and hunt people down and I don't care for that at all.

I don't mind hanging onto box 3 for a few more days. I may rummage through one more time to see if there is anything else that catches my eye. I've asked that spolct just give me a heads up when he's getting close to wrapping up, so I can time the shipment. Hopefully we can get this back to a point where everyone is receiving a new box around the time they are sending on the prior one.

Here is the list:

1. A. Feitar - In possession box 4
3. Skipping the rest of the boxes - jldallas - sent Box 1 to spolct to arrive on 9/4/2019.
5. Montgomery115 - in possession of Box 2 (I think). I don't see a number on it but it includes Sudsey Soapery!
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

A1AA19C3-CA6B-4B13-930F-286E0667D8E4.jpeg

Box #4

Last shave with Box #4. I will be shipping it today to: ryinzana

This morning’s shave blew my mind! Just when you thought it couldn’t get better, it did. I used Sapone do Paulo’s Cremoso. Cremoso is a creamy coconut and vanilla scent which I really like. The soft soap loaded easily and lather built up nicely. It was great stuff. However, the new variable in my shaving equation was a new razor. I don’t know if this morning’s excellence was due to the soap or this new razor. I just received a Razorock Lupo. The Lupo is an “homage” (copy) of the Wolfman WR1. I have never been able to obtain a WR1 so I picked up this Lupo for a try. It is all aluminum and is as lite a Bic disposable razor. The Lupo was extremely smooth. I had no irritation or weepers which is rare when acclimating to a new razor. So I may need to buy some Sapone di Paolo (which is now rebranded as Eleven) and try it with a lessor razor. I am noticing now that the post shave is a little tight but it warrants some future testing.

Here is the list:

1. A. Feitar - Shipped box 4 to ryinzana. Skipping box 5.
5. Montgomery115 - in possession of Box 2 (I think). I don't see a number on it but it includes Sudsey Soapery!
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

I should probably have my box in the mail next week to catchacoolbreeze. I was particularly interested in three soaps in this box and I tried two so far: Mystic Water and Tabac. Tomorrow I'll try Siliski Soaps Midnight in Tunisia. Here's my review of Mystic Water and Tabac.

Mystic Water (MW) Barbershop: This was a very nice soap. I could put it in with my top performers, no problem. My den consists of WK, Mikes, Caties, PAA, Noble Otter, Lather Bros, B&M, CRSW, and Shannon's and I consider them all top performers. I use roughly the same lathering technique for these soaps and they all make great, dense, slick lathers. My first attempt with MW produced a somewhat lighter lather than I'm used to but a very slick one. MW could be the slickest soap I've tried. One member suggested that I need to load my brush a bit more to get a denser lather. Possibly true. Regardless, the slickness was outstanding and made for a great shave, anyway. Two other stand-out features: post shave and scent. My post shave was awesome, it really surprised me. MW's barbershop accord is really lovely. I smelled all the other MW samples in the box and found many of them really great. This is not always the case with a lot of soap makers. I usually like 2 out of 10, for example. I didn't count the MW samples in this box (there might be 10), but I liked all but 2. Overall, great soap. Would I buy it? Yes. But not at the moment. I need to use up a few that I have, then I might buy a tub.

Tabac: A total sleeper for me. I've been wanting to try Tabac for some time now but I just haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger. I was a little hesitant due to what I was hearing about the scent. I'm not into tobacco scents. The sample completely changed my opinion. I found the scent really great and quite pleasant. It's a light scent and the tobacco note is blended with other notes that make it very smooth and enjoyable. The performance met it's reputation. For me, like MW soaps, slickness was the stand-out feature. The post shave was really awesome too. It's a commercial soap, so I'm on the fence in terms of using it on a regular basis, but I might break on that some day. Overall, really great soap, with slickness and a pleasant scent.

Review #2
Siliski Soaps, Midnight in Tunisia

Okay, the Siliski shaving soap is a perfectly good soap bu it didn't blow my socks off in any one category. I'd say it's a good, average soap. If it has a stand out feature, I'd say scent. Midnight in Tunsia is really well done. I don't think I have anything more to say about this soap.

I snuck in another soap, however. I'm a Mike's Natural's fan and I have all soaps in the sample box except Mike's vetiver. I've been wanting to smell that soap since I started wet shaving but I've been shy because the reviews say it is a polarizing scent. I got into men's fragrances recently on account of my wet shaving habit and I found that I'm a vetiver freak. And Mike's vetiver delivered. It's a straight forward simple vetiver that smells awesome! So, once I use up one of my current Mike's soaps, I'm going to get his vetiver.

Box #4 just arrived today, so I’ll be sending box #3 on shortly (spolct please confirm you’re ready). Haven’t cracked it open yet because my tub of Viking Ragnar arrived today. I reviewed this in a previous box and liked it so much I had to pull the trigger on a full tub. It gave me an amazing shave tonight. Definitely consider this brand one of the best values in wetshaving. At $12.50 you get 5oz of soap that punches well above it’s weight. It’s not top tier, but it’s also not that far off IMO. I’d put it in my top 10 for sure...

Once I make my selections for box 4, I’ll post them along with some thoughts on my initial shave.

Box #4 just arrived today, so I’ll be sending box #3 on shortly (spolct please confirm you’re ready). Haven’t cracked it open yet because my tub of Viking Ragnar arrived today. I reviewed this in a previous box and liked it so much I had to pull the trigger on a full tub. It gave me an amazing shave tonight. Definitely consider this brand one of the best values in wetshaving. At $12.50 you get 5oz of soap that punches well above it’s weight. It’s not top tier, but it’s also not that far off IMO. I’d put it in my top 10 for sure...

Once I make my selections for box 4, I’ll post them along with some thoughts on my initial shave.

Go ahead and send it on if you want. I should be able to send the one I have currently (box 1) within a few days of receiving #3.

I updated the list based on recent posts. Please correct any errors.

1. A. Feitar - Skipping box 5.
2. ryinzana - In possession Box 3 & 4.
3. jldallas - Skipping the rest of the boxes
4. spolct - in possession of Box 1.
5. Montgomery115 - Box 2 in transit to catchacoolbreeze. Should be there 9/21.
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

Viking is a highly underrated artisan IMO and a excellent value indeed! Had a shave with Ironside for yesterdays shave and it went great and has a leathery musky scent.

After testing the Viking soaps in this pass around I went out and acquired three tubs. Old Norse, Citrus Mentholated and Valhalla. It is a great soap and the owner Andrew makes some great shave brush handles.

After testing the Viking soaps in this pass around I went out and acquired three tubs. Old Norse, Citrus Mentholated and Valhalla. It is a great soap and the owner Andrew makes some great shave brush handles.

They are excellent! I took the time to go through box 4 and make my selections. I'll be testing the following:

Long Rifle Soap Co. "Hunting Lodge"
Wild West Shaving Co. "Billy the Kid"
Declaration Grooming "TSM Fougere" - familiar with this base (it's outstanding), but wanted to try this scent
Talbot Shaving "Gates of the Arctic"
Tallow & Steel "Boreal"
Wholly Kaw "King of Oud"
Storybook "Visions & Revisions"

I haven't tried any yet as I've recently received a sample of Grooming Department's new Fortis formula. This hasn't been released yet, so it's a sneak peak from the artisan. So far its been outstanding. I'll be posting a full review after I give it another go tomorrow if anyone is interested. After that, I'll be diving into these and posting my thoughts.

Guys, do please post some updates here as to the status of the boxes whenever you send or receive anything, if you're not already doing so. Some more reviews would be nice as well as I'm not seeing a lot of updates.

I've been slammed at work lately so I don't have a lot of time right now to watch this closely. Please help me out if you can. It's really nice for me when this runs smoothly.

Top Bottom