What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

I noticed that Grooming Dept uses the Parkway tub, so I researched it a bit. The only way you can order them is to buy a minimum of one case (408 tubs). It works out to be just under forty cents per tub. Then there's the lid. Same deal with them. Aggravatingly, the lids come 360 per case. Just under thirty one cents each. So around seventy one cents per tub with lid.

These are very nice tubs. They are larger in diameter than the thick walled green tubs that Stirling sells, and are a lot cheaper.

I wonder if we could organize a group buy on the Parkway tubs somehow? It sure would be nice to have a dozen or so of these for when the pass around box comes by. A guy could just get his samples from the box on the day he receives it, put the samples in his empty Parkway tubs, and send the box off to the next guy on the list the same or following day.

Maybe the guys that participate in the group buy could even donate tubs/lids to be placed in the pass around box for guys to take as needed? I don't mean to make this harder or more complicated than it needs to be, just thought I'd throw that out as a suggestion to reduce the time that guys will have the pass around boxes before they're shipped to the next participant, and as an effort to keep the pass around box tubs in better shape.

I'm currently on a medical leave of absence from work, and most likely will be until this fall. If we can get the moderators to approve a group buy of the Parkway tubs, I'd be more than happy to organize it and handle all the footwork for it (including shipping the tubs off to the guys that want them). And of course, I'd accurately account for all the funds so that it is easily proven that I didn't profit from the whole thing. In fact, I'll be buying/donating tubs to the pass around boxes if this whole thing gets approved.

But of course I can certainly understand if you don't want to muddy the waters with such a thing, David, so don't be afraid to just say "NO!". :)

Maybe handle this as two separate things? A group buy for the tubs/lids for guys that want them, and then the possibility of guys donating them if you'd like?

I bought myself about 60 of the Parkway Plastics tubs a while back. At the time you could buy them in smaller lots, without buying hundreds at once. I'm sure I paid quite a bit more for them and the shipping was expensive if I remember. I moved most of my soaps into them and pretty much used them all up. I do have a couple empty ones and I do free a container every now and then for something else when I finish a soap. Plus most of the soaps that I buy now (Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel) come in these containers. So personally I'm set. I use a Brother PTouch label maker to make waterproof labels for the tubs. The tubs are about as close to perfect for this as I've found. I wish all soap makers would use them.

As far as organizing a purchase of these containers goes it you want to get a few friends involved I'm sure you could make it happen. Not anything really associated with this passaround though as I wouldn't want to have to oversee the purchase.

So some other options for you...you could front the money buying the large lot and sell some on the BST at a large enough profit to cover the shipping and maybe even a few bucks for your trouble. Maybe sell them in lots of twenty for $30 as this would cover the tub cost and likely the shipping to you. Probably not far off from what I paid for mine.

Another option might be to reach out to a vendor that uses these containers and offer to purchase several from them at a slightly higher price for their troubles. They might take you up on your offer, especially if then need to order some but don't need several hundred. They get a better deal for buying in bulk so maybe they'd agree to help you out.

As far as adding these containers to the pass around boxes that's very kind of you but I can assure you that this isn't going to happen. Not because I'm not trying to be open to your idea but for the sole reason that these boxes are jammed packed with soaps. There's barely room for me to squeeze one plastic salsa bowl that I try to include in the boxes in there. This will keep others from adding them as well. Participants are permitted to add soap samples but that's about it. You'll see what I mean when you get the boxes.

The other problem I see with this is I try to have users take only enough soap from the sample containers for their shave. This is to insure that the box makes it through the list of people and everyone gets to try anything that they'd like to. I don't want to restrict anyone but people taking soap from multiple samples and quickly sending the box on sort of encourages them to pilfer the box. The last thing I want this to become is a soap grab. I'd rather people go through the box slower and post reviews daily. I used to include extra soap sample containers in the boxes for the purpose of adding new soaps, but at the end of the pass the sample containers were mostly just taken and not much new was added. I suspect they were using the containers to take samples instead of adding them. So I don't include extra sample containers anymore.

So thanks for thinking of us here. I would encourage you to get a hold of some Parkway plastics tubs and use them for your own soaps. For me they've improved my lathering experience. Also, everything stacks so much neater when I have all of my soaps in the same containers. It was well worth it for me to shell out the cash to buy them a couple years back. When you buy them do buy more than you think you'll need as you'll find that they fill up quickly.

The last thing I want this to become is a soap grab.
Ah yes, of course.

Great ideas David, thank you.

I just might buy a box of lids and containers and see what happens... Maybe post an interest thread first or something. Moderators permitting, of course.

Now I just need to find out which moderator I need to contact regarding something like this.

Last edited:
im still working on my posts. im close. but i had a thought like the tub idea. i had an idea of buying a box of sandwich bags to take my samples. writing the names on them as i go. i figured it would save money and space.

Nancy boy uses parkway plastics thick wall tubs and they are excellent - especially for traveling if you worry about breaking Pyrex. I read from another gent that he uses a clean metal collar stay for scooping. I couldn't believe I didn't think of that. It works great for my samples (or if you are a normal scooper).

uses a clean metal collar stay for scooping.
As long as you are absolutely sure that they are made out of stainless steel or tin, then that's a great idea. But they must be made out of stainless steel or tin.

Regular steel, iron or aluminum should never come into contact with soap. Especially aluminum. Metal ions will cause soaps to go rancid fast. Really fast. When you see "Tetrasodium EDTA" in a soap as an ingredient, it is there as a metal ion chelator. This serves two purposes: 1. So the soap will perform better in hard water 2. To help prevent metal ion induced rancidity. But it can only do so much, and using a metal other than stainless steel or tin on a soap will overwhelm the EDTA's chelation ability instantly.

The metal tins that some soaps are shipped in are either made out of real tin (which is expensive), or they are coated.

I should've added.... soaps that don't have Tetrasodium EDTA (which is a much maligned ingredient, inappropriately, IMO) are far more susceptible to metal ion induced rancidity than those that do have EDTA.

Personally, if it ain't plastic or badger, it doesn't touch my soap.

I haven't had good luck with metal tins. Rust is a constant problem and I have seen soaps turn in metal containers more frequently. No data to back that up but of the few I've had turn on me metal containers seem to be a bit more frequent. Not sure about the metal ion induced rancidity but I much, much prefer a plastic container for my soaps. As far as scooping the plastic ice cream spoons work great.

Not sure about the metal ion induced rancidity
There's a lot of really good information on the 'net regarding the different ways that soaps can go rancid, with metal being a top cause. A quick google search will show a lot of good articles on how various metals will effect the speed at which soaps will turn.

I haven't had good luck with metal tins. Rust is a constant problem and I have seen soaps turn in metal containers more frequently. No data to back that up but of the few I've had turn on me metal containers seem to be a bit more frequent. Not sure about the metal ion induced rancidity but I much, much prefer a plastic container for my soaps. As far as scooping the plastic ice cream spoons work great.

Thank you. Just to be cautious, I'm going to transfer my Eufros soaps to plastic tubs.

Thank you. Just to be cautious, I'm going to transfer my Eufros soaps to plastic tubs.
Not a bad idea.

Most of the real metal tins that shaving soaps are sold in aren't made of real (and expensive) tin. Instead, they are coated with an extremely thin plastic. Any punctures through the coating can seriously reduce the shelf life of your soap before it turns.

If you are able to verify that your "tin" is actually made of real tin, it's perfectly fine for storing soap.

Not a bad idea.

Most of the real metal tins that shaving soaps are sold in aren't made of real (and expensive) tin. Instead, they are coated with an extremely thin plastic. Any punctures through the coating can seriously reduce the shelf life of your soap before it turns.

If you are able to verify that your "tin" is actually made of real tin, it's perfectly fine for storing soap.

It looks and feels like the tubs are coated with a thin polymer material as you mentioned. I transferred my soaps this morning but will keep the beautiful tins for something. Thank you to you and David!

im thinking short term at the moment. more about handling the samples ill get from the box. the ice cream spoon idea sounds perfect and i think im going to get a box of them. i did however find a different option im going to take for the soap. i found these.
https://www.amazon.com/Beauticom-Me...efix=3+gr&sr=8-9#immersive-view_1554641502904

they are tiny 3 ml cosmetic jars. perfect size for a one shave dollop! they run about 10 cents a pc by my calcs. and i think it will make storing them in a small area a success. any thoughts? i figured this way i can take the ones that interest me, and use and review as time permits. (i have a crazy job with insane hours with no consistency)

im thinking short term at the moment. more about handling the samples ill get from the box. the ice cream spoon idea sounds perfect and i think im going to get a box of them. i did however find a different option im going to take for the soap. i found these.
https://www.amazon.com/Beauticom-Me...efix=3+gr&sr=8-9#immersive-view_1554641502904

they are tiny 3 ml cosmetic jars. perfect size for a one shave dollop! they run about 10 cents a pc by my calcs. and i think it will make storing them in a small area a success. any thoughts? i figured this way i can take the ones that interest me, and use and review as time permits. (i have a crazy job with insane hours with no consistency)
Those look like the same containers Wholly Kaw uses for their samples.

Sounds like a great idea.

Guys, one of the rules of the passaround is that you remove only the soap you need from each sample container and have your shave with it. It's not permitted to grab a bunch of samples from the box and send it on. When the box leaves you should have no soap from it in your possession. The problem with taking samples of whatever you think you might like to try is that you'll certainly grab more than you need and the people later in the round won't be able to try what they'd like to. Please don't do this when you have the boxes. If you have a unique circumstance please let me know privately via PM and we'll work something out.

Guys, one of the rules of the passaround is that you remove only the soap you need from each sample container and have your shave with it. It's not permitted to grab a bunch of samples from the box and send it on. When the box leaves you should have no soap from it in your possession. The problem with taking samples of whatever you think you might like to try is that you'll certainly grab more than you need and the people later in the round won't be able to try what they'd like to. Please don't do this when you have the boxes. If you have a unique circumstance please let me know privately via PM and we'll work something out.
As a bonus, this is how I discovered that the (Dollar Tree 2 for a $1) salsa bowls in the passaround boxes make great lathering bowls!! Scoop a sample of the sample out, using the salsa bowl to lather, and post a review!!

my apologies. i understand the concept now

Yeah, sorry man I'm trying to keep this from turning into a soap grab. Again, if you have a unique situation feel free to reach out as I will make exceptions in some cases where it makes sense to do so.

to be honest this whole experience is more about smell than anything. its the one thing you CANT find out from somebody's review. and i think id muddle through a subpar lather if the scent was right. this is a way to find out all the soaps that i would at least be willing to give a go based on scent. you can then combine with others reviews of the lather and other characteristics. and hopefully make more informed choices making less soap wasted lol. at least thats how i see it.

to be honest this whole experience is more about smell than anything. its the one thing you CANT find out from somebody's review. and i think id muddle through a subpar lather if the scent was right. this is a way to find out all the soaps that i would at least be willing to give a go based on scent. you can then combine with others reviews of the lather and other characteristics. and hopefully make more informed choices making less soap wasted lol. at least thats how i see it.
During one of the earlier rounds, there was a bacon scented soap. The scent profile sounded interesting, but you most definitely needed to smell it before committing to a full tub of it!!

During one of the earlier rounds, there was a bacon scented soap. The scent profile sounded interesting, but you most definitely needed to smell it before committing to a full tub of it!!

Yeah, it's bad. Smells like one of the dogs scented toys.

Top Bottom