What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

WOW, really nice list. I cannot wait for the boxes come by way.

There's no shortage of really great soaps in the boxes. The other two boxes will have many other equally impressive offerings and enough variety to keep anyone interested, myself included.

Reposting the last list for ease of the next person to sign up. Also swapping my own position on the list.

0. dfoulk - in possession of the boxes
1. BJ Rose
2. rockclimber
3.Smattayu
4.elvergun
5.sfeile
6. cvargo
7.rx dude
8. bobmsp
9. Grundi
10. Lfs70
11.Corsair66
12. Jamzdean
13. NyquistRate
14. samarijack
15. sheashaves710
19. tclobaugh - helping to moderate
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
23. davidr2340
26. Tommy2am
27.Kaidoh
31. back to dfoulk

[MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION] - have you considered having participants add their general location to their sign up so we could attempt to minimize total time the box is spent in the mail? This would allow the turns to cycle through faster as maybe it would be faster to drop it off to a member in the same city.

For example I live in Boston. There likely are other participants in the area. Same would probably be true of NYC and other major metropolis areas.

I have no problem with the rules and paying for the shipping. But I just thought it's better to have the box in people's hands rather than in the mail.

Thanks so much for running this. That list of soaps is amazing!! And thank you to all the vendors donating to this effort.

@dfoulk - have you considered having participants add their general location to their sign up so we could attempt to minimize total time the box is spent in the mail? This would allow the turns to cycle through faster as maybe it would be faster to drop it off to a member in the same city.

For example I live in Boston. There likely are other participants in the area. Same would probably be true of NYC and other major metropolis areas.

I have no problem with the rules and paying for the shipping. But I just thought it's better to have the box in people's hands rather than in the mail.

Thanks so much for running this. That list of soaps is amazing!! And thank you to all the vendors donating to this effort.
[MENTION=108460]SamariJack[/MENTION] Many of us have brought this up with David before and it looks like the way it's being done is really the best. Really, the parcels are only on route about two or three days at a time. He actually explained it better in this post:

Ok, I appreciate the idea and I don't want to sound dismissive but this is not the first time I've heard this question so I've thought it through pretty extensively and there are some negatives to doing it this way.

The fairest way to do it is to let each of you pick your spot. I'm all about fair as it keeps the peace. Why should the next to last guy to sign up get to go first when someone else has been watching this thread for weeks. I don't get accused of favortism this way as I didn't pick your spot you did.

If you've got a buddy that lives down the street and he's a member here and meets the requirements then I'm not opposed to you guys picking spots right next to one another and doing a hand off, driving 20 minutes and splitting shipping or whatever you want to do but I'm not going to oversee it or try to set it up for you. Two guys did this last round as it just happened to work out that way that they lived 20 minutes away.

As far as why you pick the spot you pick maybe you have a family vacation or need to travel for work. Maybe someone doesn't meet the requirements when they are scheduled for. People tend to stick to the spots they've chosen for themselves while if I assigned them I'm sure some spots wouldn't work for some people and we'd have to change it multiple times. I've done this both ways and people have no problem wanting to change a spot they didn't pick.

People don't always put their location in their profile anyway or they'll put something like "halfway to the nuthouse" of whatever else. I don't want to hunt down and organize that mess. This takes too much time already and keeping it simple minimizes that.

I guess what it really comes down to is that I don't want to do it. Anyway, what's the point when we're using flat rate boxes that get from one person to the next usually in two to sometimes three days. It's just not worth all of the work it would take to set it up logistically to shave off a few days. I'd consider it if the shipping times were longer or if I was driving it to each location myself but it's usually two days and sometimes three between people.

Plus the major delays for the most part aren't due to the postal service. We're more likely to see delays as someone got caught up with work while their family is sick and they just didn't make it to the post office to get it mailed. We've encountered relatives and pets passing as well as other unfortunate events that have lead to delays as well. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

So basically the way it is, it's fair, it's a hell of a lot less work for me, and the time between people isn't all that long at two to three days.

I thought that with three boxes I would have a chance to try all the soaps that I really want try. It seems, at least with Box One...and there isn't any reason why the second or third boxes will be any different...that David has stuffed these boxes full again with some really great soaps! I again, will have a really hard time trying to decide which soaps I will be able to shave with. Too many soaps...three weeks is not enough time. :001_smile

Ok thanks for linking the historical answer. That makes complete sense. Also I tend to think counting on two people to organize their schedules could take longer than just dropping it in the post anyway.

Ok thanks for linking the historical answer. That makes complete sense. Also I tend to think counting on two people to organize their schedules could take longer than just dropping it in the post anyway.

It's been brought up a few times and David's answer always seems to be the right one in the grand scheme of things. But I KNOW you will enjoy this pass-around. :thumbup:

Thank you for the list David. That gives me a few days to make initial preliminary choices and do some research. That's an incredible first box, and even though this is my second round with my favorite pass, I'm still overwhelmed with the number of new box 1 choices.

I'll pick up the salsa bowls and add them to the boxes as they pass me. Walmart is on the main road in and out of my area, so it will be easy to get.

I recommend that you only try one soap from a manufacturer and smell that rest since performance usually doesn't differ between their soaps, it's just the scent that changes. The one exception would be RazoRock as they have soaps made for them by different manufacturers.

I recommend that you only try one soap from a manufacturer and smell that rest since performance usually doesn't differ between their soaps, it's just the scent that changes. The one exception would be RazoRock as they have soaps made for them by different manufacturers.
This is the strategy I plan to use.

Thank you for the list David. That gives me a few days to make initial preliminary choices and do some research. That's an incredible first box, and even though this is my second round with my favorite pass, I'm still overwhelmed with the number of new box 1 choices.

I'll pick up the salsa bowls and add them to the boxes as they pass me. Walmart is on the main road in and out of my area, so it will be easy to get.

Do you have a Dollar Tree? I like their bowls a little better (texture in bowl), and they are a little smaller, and they are 2 for a dollar.

This is the strategy I plan to use.

+1.

If you still have too many to choose from and you have more than one brush, you can go extreme and use two soaps at a time. One of the left side of your face and one on the right. This is also a great way to directly compare two soaps. (Unless the two sides of your face are really different - I have a little bit of an issue as the growth direction on my left side is nice and simple while my right side is all over the place )

Yes, I can do that instead.

I think all of the dollar stores have the same bowls and they might be a little cheaper. I'm not particular about which ones end up in the boxes so don't burn $10 in gas to buy a 50 cent bowl. The bowls aren't necessary, just nice to have and they will be the first thing removed if we need space.

I think all of the dollar stores have the same bowls and they might be a little cheaper. I'm not particular about which ones end up in the boxes so don't burn $10 in gas to buy a 50 cent bowl. The bowls aren't necessary, just nice to have and they will be the first thing removed if we need space.
Thanks, I'll put in on the todo list and see what happens. The Dollar store is a significant trip, but if I'm out that way in time, I'll grab those instead.

+1
That is what I was already planning on.

Thanks, I'll put in on the todo list and see what happens. The Dollar store is a significant trip, but if I'm out that way in time, I'll grab those instead.

If it's a significant trip then please skip it. It's not that important. I'll see if I can pick some up from the dollar store that's fairly close to my home so it might be in the box when you get it.

Do you have a Dollar Tree? I like their bowls a little better (texture in bowl), and they are a little smaller, and they are 2 for a dollar.

Problem solved, I put one of my plastic salsa bowls in box one. I'll pick up a couple more for the other boxes and a replacement for mine the next time I drive by the dollar store.

Top Bottom