What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Up today barbershop by Strope shop It was fun to try some Unattaineum all in all a good shave Nice leather not as slick as I would like so I stopped midway and switched to sudsy soapery
Sandalwood and citrus this soap had a great smell and was super slick and had a great face feel. I was very impressed with this soap The glide and slickness made for a wonderful shave.
I know it's personal preference, but, for me, if the soap's performance in not as good as a top shelf soap (but still decent in its own right), but the scent is one that I really like, then that's enough for me to kick it up a tier. Scent is an important part of my shaving experience (although lousy performance is way too much for a great scent to overcome).

A. Feitar - Skipping box 5.
2. ryinzana - awaiting box 5 dfoulk mailed on 11/1/2019 should arrive 11/4.
3. jldallas - Skipping the rest of the boxes
4. spolct - in possession Box 4. Box 3 to be shipped to Montgomery115 on 11/4
5. Montgomery115 -
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3 - in possession of box 1.
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza - skipped. Gone dark
10. mrlandpirate- in possession Box 2
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
22.marhos24
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21
26. back to dfoulk for refill.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Up today Razor master sanittu & Siliski midnight in Tunisia.
first Siliski love the scent kind of floral citrusy the lather was nice but didn’t have much cushion slickness was OK.
razor master was a similar scent profile but not as strong. Are used pea size piece of soap and this was a lather monster it filled my bowl up with thick yogurt like leather. The shape was great nice cushion great slickness the soap would be in my upper tier.
I Splashed on some Florida water and the side that I used a razor master alone and no burn in the sisplashed on soon Florida water and decide are use razor mastering on had no burn and the side I used Siliski on let me know that it wasn’t as Protective.

This morning I did a half and half shave with Lisa’s Premium Irish Green Tweed and Stirling Mountain Man. I liked them both. The scents are really quite wonderful. I think they’re both homages to Creed scents. I think I overhydrated the Lisa’s. It was a little runnier than I like. I was especially impressed with Stirling. I still hadn’t tried this brand, and I know many don’t think it’s top tier, but the aroma, lather, and post shave were first rate for me. I could definitely see myself purchasing more Stirling in the future.

Tonight, I did test lathers with Maggard’s Mango Sage Tea and WSP Formula T Barbershop as well. I thought they were both nice, but I really, really liked the smell and lather quality and consistency of the WSP Formula T soap. I understand it has tallow and shea butter. I may have to try it out for a shave before I send the box on.

Ah what the heck, i've been following this thread for 2 years, since a few months before i was even a member....can i take the last spot #23? I have a set of hoarded unused maggard samples of the discontinued Barrister & Mann- Latha line that i can add into the mix - Oceana, Sandalwood, Taiga, Limon, & Lavenda

Ah what the heck, i've been following this thread for 2 years, since a few months before i was even a member....can i take the last spot #23? I have a set of hoarded unused maggard samples of the discontinued Barrister & Mann- Latha line that i can add into the mix - Oceana, Sandalwood, Taiga, Limon, & Lavenda

Welcome aboard Jay. To sign up you just repost the list with your name in the empty spot of your choice. Like this...

1. A. Feitar - Skipping box 5.
4. spolct - in possession Box 4. Box 3 to be shipped to Montgomery115 on 11/4
5. Montgomery115 -
6. catchacoolbreeze
8. boghopper
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
22.marhos24
23. JayFromBrooklyn
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21
26. back to dfoulk for refill.

You're all set now, so no worries. I mention it only because I don't want these other guys thinking I'm going to do this kinda thing for everyone here. Glad to have you aboard sir.

First shave from box 5 was Grooming Department Mallard Chai. Amazing stuff. I love a good duck fat soap. The ingredient always creates a nice luxurious lather, and this offering didn't disappoint in that department. The soap was fairly thirsty, but once dialed in, it produced a dense lather with a nice sheen. Initial and residual slickness were elite (5/5). Post shave feel was excellent. Did 3 passes with no irritation, and my face was left feeling well hydrated and soft.

The scent was a very well done "chai tea" blend. Here's the description from the manufacturer:

This duck fat soap bears the name Chai - like the warm, spicy, aromatic tea originating on the Indian continent. With ginger, star anise, cardamom, clove, cinnamon, saffron, nutmeg, and vanilla, you get the exoctic spice and then a creamy note of milk, tea, and sugar round out this gourmand scent of a Chai latte.

While I'm not usually a fan of gourmand scents, this is one that I would probably reach for quite often in colder months. Looking forward to trying the rest of the GD offerings in Box 5.

4. spolct - in possession Box 4.
5. Montgomery115 - Box 3 received today (11/6)
6. catchacoolbreeze
8. boghopper
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
22.marhos24
23. JayFromBrooklyn
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

I received Box #3 today. First up tomorrow morning, Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia. The scent is really lovely. BTW - SV soap samples are almost finished.

Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia Review:
Okay, this is a 10/10 shaving soap for me, particularly performance. I'm not particularly focused on post-shave because I finish with witch hazel, but nevertheless, the soap has a very nice post shave too. The lather doesn't blow-up like Lather Bros soaps but it's more than excellent. Consistency is firm like a bar of glycerin soap. Scent is a very nice, gentlemanly, soap scent. I'll probably get a puck. If I do, I'll create a sample container for this pass-around and see if it can catch up with the box. I'm glad SV soaps are in the pass-around.

per Tallow & Steel....

Sas'qets, by Tallow + Steel should be available today 6PM EST.

Available Nov 7 at tallowandsteel.com

A scent for the adventurous that speaks of the untamed wilderness - and the spirit of the courageous exploration of the unknown.

The endless forest of the Pacific Northwest and limitless horizons of the Canadian wilderness harbour a secret - a reclusive one that man has known about for thousands of years. To those who discovered him, the First Nations peoples of British Columbia - he’s known as ‘wildman of the woods’, or Sàsq’ets To the rest of Canada, he is known as Sasquatch.

Sàsq’ets is a lavender-dominant scent that captures the woodsy, earthy aroma of the crisp forest air, while resinous animalic undertones give you a glimpse into the life of the mythical creature with footprints too big for any man.

Sourcing from the hills this beast calls home, we began with two of the finest lavender oils in the world - organically grown and distilled on a small family farm in British Columbia. Venturing into his backyard, we sourced Nootka wood - a name derived from its discovery on the lands of the Nootka people of Vancouver Island. You have arrived at the forest’s edge, ready to begin your search. He has been nearby - evident by an animalic note - real Castoreum from aged castor sacs, collected from beavers trapped in the rugged Canadian wilderness. Finally, a resinous amber note was created using labdanum and million-year-old fossilized tree resin from the Himalayas - where his cousin Yeti is said to roam.

Each breath hints at a reclusive presence nearby as you come ever closer to a rare sighting. The Sàsq’ets is closer than you think, with animalic lavender lingering in the air.

This is his scent.

We have created three different label designs, each one with a hidden Sàsq’ets for you to find - order to see which label you will receive! (We will ensure that those who order multiple products will not receive a duplicate label)

Canadian Lavender (65%) | Labdanum (22%) | Castoreum (5%) | Nootka (3%) | Vetiver (3%) | Amber (2%) | 100% Essential Oils and Natural Extracts

This release is dedicated to our friend Shaleem, a true believer.

After some long thought I've decided to cancel my entry onto the list. I'm still fairly new to all this and I just don't feel quite ready to dive this deep into the waters yet. I'm trying to stick to a somewhat humble path, i just want to acquire a very short list of around half a dozen old classics over the next year or 2 before branching out into the artisan world. Maybe after that point, if the passaround is still going, i'll enter again in the future.

Thanks alot to dfoulk and everyone involved, love reading all the in-depth reviews. Spot #23 is back open again !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. catchacoolbreeze
8. boghopper
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
21.jaxstar
22.marhos24
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

List update:

6. catchacoolbreeze
8. boghopper
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Schinny
14. Psusocr
15. SailFast
16. Blaidth
17. Velohammer