What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

It just got held up at one stop for a while. It should be moving along again now.
Like spoict says it gets here when it gets here. All good things...........

Unfortunately the hold up was with box 1, so that has caused a bit of a log jam with boxes 2-4. I've confirmed that box 1 still hasn't landed, but I've gotten a blessing from dfoulk and spoict to go ahead and send box 2. I'll be dropping this off at the post office tomorrow and will send box three about a week later. This should get things back on track for each remaining member to receive about one box a week (or so).

It should be fine, I think I was at the bottom of the list last time, my problem was I got a few boxes too close together, but otherwise it was worth the wait.

So Sunday I got back from a trip to see that box 3 had arrived. Last night I was able to crack it open and make my sample selections. I'll be trying (in no particular order):

LA Shaving Company Bespoke #1
Catie's Bubbles Le Marche Du Rasage
PannaCrema San Francesco
Tiki The Captain
SV Manna di Sicilia
RazoRock Mudder Focker
Cold River Select Olivia Colonia Mediterrania
PAA Solstice

For my first shave, I went with PannaCrema San Francesco. This I believe was part of their Pure2O line which was a tallow based formula. It's a nice Sandalwood blend with hints of incense, citrus, and spice. A nice strong scent that is pleasant off the puck and lathered, but does not linger/interfere with post-shave products. Dialed in the soap has a nice sheen to it and a yogurt consistency. Initial slickness was good with residual being adequate. The resulting shave was comfortable with no irritation. The soap rinses clean fairly easily and doesn't leave behind a residual layer. Initially, I thought this may affect post-shave feel; but after skipping my normal post-shave routine, I'm happy to report that my face felt soft and hydrated for hours. Good stuff!

Here are the scent notes:

Top notes, citrusy:
  • Bergamot
  • Anice
  • Elemi
  • Pine
Middle notes:
  • Sandalwood
  • Patchouli
  • Cedar Wood
Bottom notes:
  • Gurjum Balm
  • Incense
  • Moss

Excellent! Since my last post I’ve tried two more. PAA Solstice and Razorock Mudderfocker. These gave me a very similar experience, so I’m going to review them together. Both resulted in a good shave and both are middle of the road in terms of performance. Good cushion and adequate slickness provided for a comfortable shave. Post shave feel for both was OK. Wouldn’t skip a post shave product. Both were very lightly scented.

Box four was sent today. Before you ask I forgot to take a list of the soaps in it. I can tell you there are some really good soaps present in that box though. Probably one of the better boxes.

I think this is the current status. Please update if needed.

1. A. Feitar - Awaiting box 4 from dfoulk sent 8/29/2019.
2. ryinzana - In possession Box 3
3. jldallas - will send Box 1 to spolct - skipping the other boxes.
4. spolct - In possession box 2
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21
26. back to dfoulk for refill.

My wife got into the box before I got home and found 27 scents that she liked. I started there and found 4 that I didn't like, 3 with really faint scents to revisit when my nose is totally clear, and 3 that I shortlisted to try. The rest were all ok to me but no major standouts scent-wise.

I copied the box list to my shaving google spreadsheet and added an x to the ones that she liked. I'll use a 5 point scale for scents:
1-aw he** no
2-pass
3-acceptable
4-pretty good
5-I could sniff this all day long
As far as a performance rating I'll just have to take notes on how the shave went. I feel like there are too many variables for me to adequately rate performance after just one or two shaves.

Tonight's head/neck shave was made possible by the fine folks at Mike's Natural Soaps. Orange Cedarwood & Black Pepper was a great scent. The soap was a bit harder than some of the others I've tried thus far (this is my first soap of my first box) but lathered up nicely. 2 passes on my neck went well but the last pass seemed a bit watery so for the first noggin pass I splashed some water on my head then squeegeed most of it off with my hands. Turns out that I over compensated and the lather was on the dry side but still serviceable. 2nd noggin pass I added a touch more water to the lathering bowl and rehydrated generously. 2nd pass was much better. Scent rating was somewhere between a 4 and 5.

I've smelled all the soaps in Box 2 and have given them all a 1-5 smell rating. Only a couple of 1s and a few 2s. Lots and lots of 3s. I've flagged a few for either test lathering or use and will update the sheet as I go. I should be able to finish up this week

Spreadsheet link is below. Feel free to copy any/all/part/none of it for your own use.

DE Shaving

Tonight's shave featured a pretty great Siliski Soaps scent - Appalachian Forest. The scent was really great and the performance was great as well. Plenty of lather with good slickness and a great post-shave feel. A brand new blade in my old single ring might have had something to do with it, but it was one of my better head shaves in a while.

I also lathered up the following (notes are on the spreadsheet linked above):
-Siliski Rosemary and Cedarwood (really really liked this one)
-Shannon's Soaps Timeless Razor Etherea
-Mike's Lime

Pictured is Mike's lime - the first soap with enough lather worthy of posting a picture. I don't usually whip up a ton of lather when I'm just doing a 2-pass shave on my neck and head. After 2 other times of lathering the Mike's I used enough water and wow the lather just went boom. I might have sent it a few drops too far this time.
IMG_20190901_230257.jpg

I received box #4 yesterday afternoon. I’ll post an inventory in the next day. The first soap I tried was:
0EF69B91-587A-470E-809B-678BA7E22DD7.jpeg

Talbot soap is really difficult to obtain so it was exciting to see this sample in the box. The scent to my nose is of dry grass and pine needles. The performance was top tier elite.

Here is an inventory and what you all have to look forward to with box #4:

Smooth Operator
Victory Soaps
Buffalo Shave Co.
Wild West Shaving
Declaration Grooming
Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations
Jabonman Eufros
TurtleShip
Long Rifle Soap Co.
Maggard Razors Soap
La Pere Lucien
Wholly Kaw
Martin de Candre Agrumes
Talbot Shaving Gates of the Arctic
Sapone di Paolo (Eleven)
Chelsea's
Tallow and Steel
Big Easy Soaps
Storybook
Soap Smooth
Crowne and Crane
Dr. Jon's
Beehive
Obsessive Soap Perfectionist (London)
Rose Rock Apothecary

Please repost this list when you send or receive a box. Thank you!

1. A. Feitar - In possession box 4
2. ryinzana - In possession Box 3
3. Skipping the rest of the boxes - jldallas - sent Box 1 to spolct to arrive on 9/4/2019.
4. spolct - Awaiting Box 1, in possession of box 2
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19. ’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21
26. back to dfoulk for refill.

E58DD5A6-4C2C-41A2-B7C8-7413F112F884.jpeg

Great performance this morning from Lisa’s Orange and Clove. I used Grooming Dept’s Preshave product this morning and I don’t know how much it may have contributed to the post shave feeling of Lisa’s soap. However, a small smear of the soap in my copper bowl produced an abundance of peaky lather. There was enough for 3 full passes and a fourth “pick up” pass. I really like the subtle orange and clove scent.

Top Bottom