What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

8CDE205B-FD87-4AE8-9CE4-BFEBA967C5D9.jpeg
From Box #3

I did a test lather this evening of Tiki Soaps “The Captain”. I scooped and smeared about an almond size amount of the soap in the bowl that came in the box. It is a small salsa bowl so the Stirling Kong brush fills most of the bowl when lathering. The Kong synthetic produced a lather quickly that smelled great. Dense and peaky with a nice cushion. The scent is mostly of cherry tobacco. So many of the soaps in this box are really good that it largely comes down to picking scents you enjoy.

Box#3

My facial hair doesn’t grow fast enough and there are over 100 soaps in this box. Therefore, I am gonna test lather many of them and whittle the list down to 5-6 to shave with before passing the box to the next lucky guy.

I just tested DR Harris Marlborough. I had heard good things about this soap so I was eager to try it. It is a VERY hard soap so the sample was all chips off the hard puck. The soap chips were hard; I soaked them in a little water to soften them and only then could I smear them in the bowl.
CF5D6EB6-032E-4530-AE16-7C5A1F207190.jpeg

The scent is very lite to my nose. I could barely detect anything. What I could smell was clean and pleasant.
Lather quickly formed and produced an old school thick and abundant lather. Great cushion and long peaks that extended 6” between my hands. I may shave with this one in the morning.
6283A53F-4D97-43DF-BCA5-BA5F729F245F.jpeg

Box #3

This mornings shave was with Pannacremma’s San Francesco.
696FC95F-6771-476C-B69B-7CE446F4BB0F.jpeg

Off the sample, I initially liked the scent. After shaving with it, I realized that perhaps I didn’t like the scent and it was too strong. The performance was excellent. The scent is a mix of sandalwood, incense and spice.

Updated list.

1. A. Feitar - waiting on Box 3 sent on 8/9/2019
2. ryinzana - In possession Box 2
3. jldallas - will send Box 1 to spolct - skipping the other boxes.
4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. kooldecker
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. boghopper
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19.’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21
26. back to dfoulk for refill.

So A. Feitar is ready to send box 3 onto me. I currently have box 2, but it looks like that one is going to go to spolct (who is about to receive box 1)... I'm assuming I should hold onto box 2 for another week or so to create a little separation between box 1 and 2. Is that OK? The other alternative is I can send it onto spolct and they can hold onto both for the time being/create some separation by trying the boxes out in order of receipt. Just let me know what works for everyone and I'd be happy to oblige...

So A. Feitar is ready to send box 3 onto me. I currently have box 2, but it looks like that one is going to go to spolct (who is about to receive box 1)... I'm assuming I should hold onto box 2 for another week or so to create a little separation between box 1 and 2. Is that OK? The other alternative is I can send it onto spolct and they can hold onto both for the time being/create some separation by trying the boxes out in order of receipt. Just let me know what works for everyone and I'd be happy to oblige...

Normally I don't like anyone to have more than one box at a time but I let A.Feitar know that it is ok this time considering how long everyone has likely had the boxes that they have. Feel free to send or hang onto the box 2 depending on if you've tried everything you'd like from it. Jldallas is skipping the rest of the boxes so please make sure that you don't send box two his way. It would go to spolct instead. Thank you!

D4966665-5BDF-4720-B32A-FE850B19909B.jpeg
Box #3

This morning’s shave was with SV 70th Anniversary soap. This is an expensive Italian soap so this pass around box has been an excellent opportunity to try several of SV soaps. For the cost of postage, you get the opportunity to try around $1500-$2000 worth of soaps.

SV is a hard soap; so some of the sample was mashed into the bowl and a little water was sprinkled in the bowl and allowed it to soften up. I used my boar brush and sparingly added drops of water. After a few minutes of effort, I had an abundance of lather for three passes and a touch up. The lather was thick and peaky. I really like these Saponificio Varasino soaps.

Perfect. I will send box 2 the day after I get box 3. Hopefully that will create enough separation to get things back on track...

1. A. Feitar - waiting on Box 3 sent on 8/9/2019
4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19.’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

Updated list

1. A. Feitar - shipped Box 3 to ryinzana on 8/16
4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. boghopper
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. kooldecker
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19.’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

8AF17363-59DB-489A-863D-A7C9B62798CB.jpeg
My last review from Box #3:

Klar Kabbinet is no longer produced and I have read many reviews about how it was a wonderful soap. Therefore, when I saw a small sample of this soap in box #3, I was excited to give it a try. I shaved with it before passing the box onward.

I can see why people like it. It is a traditional European Soap that was made by Klar in Heidelberg, Germany. I normally don’t like rose scents; this one was a very lite single scent. It didn’t linger too long afterwards. You can still buy soaps from Klar but not this particular scent which came in large blocks originally.

Received box #3. Will be making my selections and posting my thoughts as I work through the samples. Will be getting box #2 out in the mail soon!

I am starting to feel a little sorry for the gentlemen down the list of this soap sample pass around. I received box number 1 on May 25th and it is just now getting to the the 4th gentleman on the list. At this rate, it will take a few years to get to the last few guys. May I ask people to not sit on the boxes and move them along? Perhaps take a few samples of your favorites, set them aside for reviews and mail the box onward?

Perhaps take a few samples of your favorites, set them aside for reviews and mail the box onward?

dfoulk has specifically stated that no soap should be pulled and kept from the box. It's taken a while at one stop but things are about to get moving again. I'm pretty excited at the idea of sampling a bunch of soap but my life hasn't been shut down waiting for a box to arrive. It will get here when it gets here and when it does I'll do what I can to move it along to the next stop quickly.

Just as a refresher for us all, here are the rules he had posted prior to sending out the first box

Ok, I'll post some rules later on. You can probably find them somewhere earlier in this thread as well if you're concerned and feel like looking for them. Most of it is just common sense.

Basically you get each box for a week to ten days to smell, test lather, and shave with any soaps in the box. You don't lather on the samples and you don't have anything from the box in your possession when you send it to the next person.

Once you send it you get the next box sent to you. There will be five boxes this round but the fifth box is optional as that one will have you lathering on full tubs which can make some squeemish. More to come on that later on.

You are responsible for the postage on each box to send it to the person after you. It's CONUS so postage is about $15 a box. Whatever a medium flat rate box costs to send as that's what we'll be using. The boxes are free at the post office if the box gets worn and could stand to be replaced from time to time.

You get to try whatever you'd like to when you have the box. Pics and posting of thoughts about what you try is mandatory. Above all else comes honesty but please do be kind to the vendors as in most cases they've donated their products for us to try. We all like different things, which is a good thing. If you don't care for something you've tried please do let us know but do it in a kind way. If you find something that you absolutely love maybe reach out to the vendor and tell them that you tried it in the passraround as they enjoy the feedback.

I'll be asking for some personal information like your real name, email address and phone number, but that's only to hunt you down if you become unresponsive. Please don't make me hunt you down as it's a total pain for me. There are many other things I'd rather be doing. Nobody gets your personal information but me and I delete it after your turn. You send the box to the next person only with my approval. If everybody does the right thing then this is enjoyable for me. If they don't then I feel like I'm babysitting and it makes me question whether I want to keep this going. Please do the right thing and make this enjoyable for everyone involved.

You are permitted to add samples (soaps only) to the box if you desire but it's not necessary.

You'll need 150 posts when your turn comes up in order to participate. So if you're low on posts pick a later spot on the list and get active. Plenty of what (soap, aftershave, razor, brush, etc) posts that you can fill out with a word or two if you're not that into conversing here.

It just got held up at one stop for a while. It should be moving along again now.
Like spoict says it gets here when it gets here. All good things...........

Top Bottom