What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Great soaps on the list and I'd like to give it a go. Thanks!

Current Status

1. A. Feitar - waiting on dfoulk for Box 3
2. ryinzana - In possession Box 2
3. jldallas - waiting on or in possession of Box 1
4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. kooldecker
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. boghopper
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21
26. back to dfoulk for refill.

Hey guys, I got a hold of jldallas and box one will be moving soon.

Current Status

1. A. Feitar - waiting on Box 3 sent on 8/9/2019
3. jldallas - will send Box 1 to spolct - skipping the others.
4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. kooldecker
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. boghopper
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

C443455E-DEDF-4627-8000-46E28339EC6D.jpeg
I just received Box 3 and I have to say that it is packed with lotsa great soaps that I have yet to try. Also included is a lathering bowl and a Stirling Soap Co. Kong synthetic brush. I will write up an inventory of the soaps and post it tomorrow. I will also get some reviews posted ASAP. Thank you once again dfoulk!!
E948CD1E-8F9E-4270-8EBB-9DE663F3BD66.jpeg

Cool, it arrived. Yeah, that box is packed pretty full so I'm sure you'll find something to try that interests you.

That's a Stirling Kong brush that Rod at Stirling generously donated for us to try. It's a synthetic brush but it's surprisingly good, even by my brush snob standards. I know that you have some of the high dollar brushes like I do but you really should try it out and see what you think.

Rod is an incredibly nice guy and his customer service is absolutely outstanding, we're talking some of the best I've encountered throughout my life regardless of what the product was. He sent me a soap once that he custom made for me (Stirling Glacial), and a short time later he proactively issued me a full refund with a note saying that the soap wasn't ready yet and he wasn't happy with it as it needed more time to cure. Apparently the extreme amount of menthol threw things off a bit. I didn't complain at all as it seemed pretty good to me so I was really surprised to get the refund. He told me to leave the soap sit a couple weeks then to use and enjoy it. I sent him back a note telling him it was unnecessary and he apologized that it didn't meet his standards and insisted that it was on him. Just above and beyond outstanding service. Every time I've ever asked him for anything for a passaround he's always been more than generous to us here. So if you order anything from him please let him know that we appreciate his kindness and that you tried some of his products in this passaround.

Great soaps on the list and I'd like to give it a go. Thanks!

Welcome aboard.

Current Status

1. A. Feitar - in possession of Box 3
2. ryinzana - In possession of Box 2
3. jldallas - will send Box 1 to spolct - skipping the other boxes.
4. spolct - waiting on box 1
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. kooldecker
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. boghopper
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

Whoa just noticed this thread .... okay if I added my name to blank number?

4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. kooldecker
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. boghopper
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19.’Bout Time
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

This looks like tons of fun!!

Whoa just noticed this thread .... okay if I added my name to blank number?

4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. kooldecker
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. boghopper
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19.’Bout Time
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

This looks like tons of fun!!

Yep, you got it.

This sounds like the greatest thing ever. I’m new and compulsively researching soaps. This would be so helpful to me. Can I participate?

This sounds like the greatest thing ever. I’m new and compulsively researching soaps. This would be so helpful to me. Can I participate?

You have to get your post count up and have to be a member here for a little while before your turn, but if you take one of the lower spots on the list you might well be good to go when your turn comes up. Just get the latest list and repost it with your name in one of the open spots. Taking care not to drop anyone else off.

It really is a pretty cool experience.

Thanks dfoulk! You’re a gentleman and a scholar. Challenge accepted.

4. spolct
5. Montgomery115
6. catchacoolbreeze
7. CJB3
8. kooldecker
9. FloorPizza
10. mrlandpirate
11. boghopper
12. dezmil
13. Joshua223
14. Schinny
15. Psusocr
16. SailFast
17. Blaidth
18. Velohammer
19.’Bout Time
20. ShavedUp
24. Iloverootbeer
25. Suhrim21

I received Box #3 yesterday and I wanted to go through it and let you all know what is in it.

First, there is a green salsa bowl which is used for loading and lathering.
Second, there is a really nice Stirling Soap Co. Kong Synthetic shave brush. I test lathered it last night with some LA Shaving Co. Bay Rum and the brush is a lather monster. I am a Badger brush snob and I really enjoy my Black Eagles and Declaration brushes. However, this Stirling brush is ultra soft and lathers up very fast and produces and can hold a large volume of lather. I am a convert to this type of brush but I am not selling off any of my badgers.
Third, here is a list of the soaps by brand. I don't have time to list each scent but there are generally 1-18 samples of each of the following brands:

DR Harris x 4
Nancy Boy x 1
TOBS x 6
Tiki x 10
LA Shaving Co. x 4
Saponificio Varesino x 4
Fine x 4
Stubble trouble x 2
Catie's Bubbles x 10
PAA & Petal Pushers x 18 (I will skip testing these for personal reasons)
Mason Botique x 5
Razorock x 18
Cold River x 6
Viking Old Norse x 1 (One of my favorites)
Mitchell's Wool Fat (I have a really difficult getting a lather without a lot of air in it)
Proraso Cream x 1
Klar Kabinett x 1
Ecogarden x 1
Blades Grim x 1
Green Mountain x 1
St. James of London x 1
AOS Sandalwood x 1
Jabonman Eufros x 1
Black Tie x 1
Gentleman's Groom Room x 1
Queen Charlotte's Vostok x 1 (Company Closed)

There is a lot here to test lather, sniff and shave with. I am looking forward to the next week with Box #3!

Last edited:
Out of Box #3, I have selected the following to test lather or shave with this week:

Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Cold River Colonia
Proraso Cream Blue and White Tube
Queen Charlotte Vostok
Razorock P160
AOS Sandalwood (old version)
Klar Kabinett
DR Harris Marlborough

That Kong brush is surprisingly good. Synthetics have come a long way from the unpredictable springy, scritchy garbage that they used to me. Almost to the point where they (at least some) perform like a high end badger brush. Like you, I won't be selling off my high end badgers but it's still cool to see the synthetics progressing and moving forward as they are. Definitely worth trying.

Out of Box #3, I have selected the following to test lather or shave with this week:

Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Cold River Colonia
Proraso Cream Blue and White Tube
Queen Charlotte Vostok
Razorock P160
AOS Sandalwood (old version)
Klar Kabinett
DR Harris Marlborough

Tiki The Captain is nice. A really great scent. The Jabonman soaps are pretty good too.

That Kong brush is surprisingly good. Synthetics have come a long way from the unpredictable springy, scritchy garbage that they used to me. Almost to the point where they (at least some) perform like a high end badger brush. Like you, I won't be selling off my high end badgers but it's still cool to see the synthetics progressing and moving forward as they are. Definitely worth trying.

Are there any other synthetics you can recommend? I'm interested. Have you tried the Simpsons synthetic? I hear that there are some good new synthetics coming out of Germany.

Are there any other synthetics you can recommend? I'm interested. Have you tried the Simpsons synthetic? I hear that there are some good new synthetics coming out of Germany.

There was a synthetic brush passaround that I tried a while back. The Kong and an offering from Phoenix Artisan were quite good. The Simpson one wasn't anything special as I think I got to try one of those as well. Several were scratchy or splayed unpredictably. Some newer ones might be better though as that was a while ago.

Top Bottom