What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

This morning’s shave was with Lisa’s Natural Coconut Oud.
A635873A-009C-497D-B6CD-BBEEB16292C4.jpeg

The scent is the best “coconut scent” I have found on the market.
I loaded the soap into my brush from an almond sized amount smeared into a smooth cereal bowl. The soap is very soft and smears easily. I found I needed a lot of soap while I was face lathering and had to go back to the sample for just a little more.
The lather, once dialed in, was low volume so not much cushion but very smooth and creamy. The shave results were elite and the lingering scent carries on for several hours. I would rank this soap with GD, B&M and Murphy and McNeil as top tier.

This morning’s shave was with Lisa’s Natural Coconut Oud.
View attachment 985388
The scent is the best “coconut scent” I have found on the market.
I loaded the soap into my brush from an almond sized amount smeared into a smooth cereal bowl. The soap is very soft and smears easily. I found I needed a lot of soap while I was face lathering and had to go back to the sample for just a little more.
The lather, once dialed in, was low volume so not much cushion but very smooth and creamy. The shave results were elite and the lingering scent carries on for several hours. I would rank this soap with GD, B&M and Murphy and McNeil as top tier.
I enjoy a good coconut scent so I’ll make a note of this one..

I have enjoyed the soap sample box this past week and it is now time to send it onward to the next lucky recipient.

Aside from testing the soap bases, this was a great olfactory education. I learned about several unknown scents and found new ones I like.

I really enjoyed this! Thanks again.

I have enjoyed the soap sample box this past week and it is now time to send it onward to the next lucky recipient.

Aside from testing the soap bases, this was a great olfactory education. I learned about several unknown scents and found new ones I like.

I really enjoyed this! Thanks again.

I have the contact information for the next person on the list. You have my approval to send it. I'll get the next box ready to send to you.

dfoulk, I'm out of town on vacation from July 13-28. I'm sitting at #5 and wondering if you should move me behind CJB3 (#7) or kooldecker (#8)? I estimated about two weeks each for everyone beginning with ryinzana (#2), jldallas (#3), and spolct (#4). Thoughts?

dfoulk, I'm out of town on vacation from July 13-28. I'm sitting at #5 and wondering if you should move me behind CJB3 (#7) or kooldecker (#8)? I estimated about two weeks each for everyone beginning with ryinzana (#2), jldallas (#3), and spolct (#4). Thoughts?

When it gets closer we can bump you down if need be. No worries.

Alright everyone, the box arrived yesterday and I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of samples included (I can't believe 4 more boxes are coming)! To make things more manageable, I scanned through the box and picked 8 brands that I wanted to try and picked one scent per brand (wanted to try as many new bases as possible). Some of those I've chosen are somewhat ubiquitous on these forums (but for some reason I haven't gotten around to try them) and others are a little less talked about. My 8 choices are below:

Maggards Limes & Bergamot
Reef Point Soaps Submariner
Viking Ragnar
Lisa's Premium Coconut Oud
Soap of the Gods Fougere
Soap Commander Fortitude
Oleo Shiloh
Dr. Jon's Gold Label

For each selection, I'll post my thoughts on scent, ease of lather, protection/slickness, and post shave feel - grading each on a 5 point scale (5 Elite, 4 Very Good, 3 Good, 2 Acceptable, 1 Unacceptable). I'll then average the scores to give an overall grade for each soap. For a benchmark soap, I'll use Tabac - I would assign solid 3's across the board with the exception of protection/slickness which I would give a 4. So overall score for Tabac would be a 3.25.

So, to kick things off, last night I shaved with Dr. Jon's Gold Label. My review will be posted shortly...

Attachments

• soap.jpeg
    soap.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 6
Dr. Jon's Gold Label

Scent - 5

First of all, I want to start with the scent description from the vendor:

"This is one of our two unique takes and tobacco based soaps. Gold is not your traditional pipe tobacco or green tobacco scent, we have blended an assortment of fragrances to create a deep, spicy fragrance. Gold is made with tobacco, leather, amber, neroli, evergreen and clary sage"

I would say that their description is fairly accurate. I'm usually not a huge fan of tobacco scents, but to me this one was done right. It's an amazing scent, very complex and well blended. In addition to the tobacco, I picked up on citrus (probably the neroli) and spice. Scent strength was strong both on the puck and lathered; however, it did not linger long after the rinse - so this is one that you could use with a variety of post shave products without scent interference.

Really enjoyed this one. This is one of those scents where I'd sneak a quick whiff now and then as I'm going into/out of the bathroom...

Ease of Lather - 3

The soap took a little bit of fiddling to get the consistency right, but the resulting lather was very nice. It had a slight sheen to it and was a very creamy consistency.

Slickness/Protection - 3.5

Initial slickness I would rate a 4. My razor had no issues gliding through the lather and I felt like my face was well protected. With that said, residual slickness I'd rate only a 3. You can definitely go over areas without much problem, but I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot. One thing I've noticed with vegan soaps is the residual slickness is not quite as good as Tallow based formulas. Since, initial was a 4 and residual a 3, I've averaged these out to a 3.5. With that said, I still had a pleasant/irritation free shave.

Post Shave - 3

Soap had a fairly good post-shave feel. My skin felt soft but not as nourished/hydrated as it feels with tallow based soaps. Probably not one that I'd skip a post-shave product.

Overall - 3.6

Overall, this soap was a solid performer that gave me a pleasant shave. Appropriately, it landed in that Good-Very Good range. This was a good soap to start out with as I think it'll serve as a great benchmark soap for the next 7 samples.

One more note - I'll be traveling this weekend for a wedding and am planning on bringing some samples with me. If I have the time/ability I will try to post my reviews each day, but if I cannot I may post them when I return on Sunday or Monday. Thanks all!

Alright everyone, the box arrived yesterday and I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of samples included (I can't believe 4 more boxes are coming)! To make things more manageable, I scanned through the box and picked 8 brands that I wanted to try and picked one scent per brand (wanted to try as many new bases as possible). Some of those I've chosen are somewhat ubiquitous on these forums (but for some reason I haven't gotten around to try them) and others are a little less talked about. My 8 choices are below:

Maggards Limes & Bergamot
Reef Point Soaps Submariner
Viking Ragnar
Lisa's Premium Coconut Oud
Soap of the Gods Fougere
Soap Commander Fortitude
Oleo Shiloh
Dr. Jon's Gold Label

For each selection, I'll post my thoughts on scent, ease of lather, protection/slickness, and post shave feel - grading each on a 5 point scale (5 Elite, 4 Very Good, 3 Good, 2 Acceptable, 1 Unacceptable). I'll then average the scores to give an overall grade for each soap. For a benchmark soap, I'll use Tabac - I would assign solid 3's across the board with the exception of protection/slickness which I would give a 4. So overall score for Tabac would be a 3.25.

So, to kick things off, last night I shaved with Dr. Jon's Gold Label. My review will be posted shortly...
Great selection of soaps to try.

The one caveat I have for you and everyone else trying soap now is that you may want to confirm that a scent you're interested in is still being made. For instance, I think that Dr. Jon's no longer makes the "Gold Label" scent; at least it's not listed on the website.

Having said that, IMHO the purpose of the pass around is to check out the bases as well as the scents. Even if a scent isn't made anymore, you will still be able to learn a lot from a shave with a discontinued soap.

wow that would stink to find yiur holy Grail of scent and then find out its discontinued! i know its very generic, but as a newbie i have only really got to sample 3 soaps so far, is tabac in this passaround? just wondering because it is like a household name around these forums and im very curious about it.

Top Bottom