What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Wow, this is something I was hoping to find here on B&B. I know I have just joined a few days ago and just started DE shaving about a month ago. But I am buying samples in bulk and it does get up in price (got 27 different samples coming in the mail from Maggard). Therefore, when my count does meet the min, I would love to join in on the pass around box.

Kaidoh

I was so impressed with Sudsy Soapery that I contacted Mr and Mrs Cook to make sure they were included in the new soap pass around, it appears that they are and that is even more reason for people to join this thread. It appears that David has everything covered!

I was so impressed with Sudsy Soapery that I contacted Mr and Mrs Cook to make sure they were included in the new soap pass around, it appears that they are and that is even more reason for people to join this thread. It appears that David has everything covered!

Thanks, yeah, that's how I found out about them. I asked for suggestions for vendors to add and one user here recommended them to me. I had no idea that the soap was this good until I tried it myself. Jonathan (at Sudsy Soapery) followed up with me after sending the soap for the passaround to get my thoughts. I talked to him on the phone for over a half hour. I told him that it was absolutely outstanding and that he shouldn't change a thing with the formula.

He is working on trying to get the soap a bit harder by letting them cure a bit longer and I have noticed the ones I've bought have hardened up a bit from normal use but that's just a preference thing.

They are really nice, down to earth, good hearted people running a small business to the best of their ability and treating customers the way they'd like to be treated.

I might get in on this one. Would definitely love to try a lot of the soaps, just have to have a rough idea of shipping since things are a little tight for me at the moment.

Being new to the forum and wetshaving in general, I would also love to get in on this, but I'm sure if I qualify yet. This really is an amazing idea. This community is awesome!

That is a lot of soap! I may have to join this pass around again. I am on the fence, but will keep my eyes open for the signups.

I might get in on this one. Would definitely love to try a lot of the soaps, just have to have a rough idea of shipping since things are a little tight for me at the moment.

Just the postage as it's the cost to mail three medium flat rate boxes. You only get one box at a time, so figure about $12 to $13 a week for three different weeks. Ideally it would be one week right after another but sometimes there is a gap between the boxes especially if you're later in the list.

I can tell you this particular passaround is definitely worth the postage. You don't get to keep anything from it but just being able to try and to smell so many soaps is extremely beneficial as it saves you from buying the ones you don't absolutely love.

Just the postage as it's the cost to mail three medium flat rate boxes. You only get one box at a time, so figure about $12 to $13 a week for three different weeks. Ideally it would be one week right after another but sometimes there is a gap between the boxes especially if you're later in the list.

I can tell you this particular passaround is definitely worth the postage. You don't get to keep anything from it but just being able to try and to smell so many soaps is extremely beneficial as it saves you from buying the ones you don't absolutely love.

I think I can handle that. I'll be looking for the sign up sheet.:thumbup:

Larry at Cold River Soap Works reached out to me. He asked that I replace his older Select line soaps with his newer better formula V2 and Olivia version soaps. So those are on the way to me soon and will be included.

I've been interested in trying his new versions as well so I'm looking forward to it. The older stuff was great so if these newer versions are better then count me in. Larry has some great soap scents as well as the last ones he sent I liked every one. Apparently many in the passaround did as well since they were well sampled.

Larry at Cold River Soap Works reached out to me. He asked that I replace his older Select line soaps with his newer better formula V2 and Olivia version soaps. So those are on the way to me soon and will be included.

I've been interested in trying his new versions as well so I'm looking forward to it. The older stuff was great so if these newer versions are better then count me in. Larry has some great soap scents as well as the last ones he sent I liked every one. Apparently many in the passaround did as well since they were well sampled.

That's great I've been interested to smell several of his scents.

That's good news about the CRSW. My first order of a full-sized soap was through them and, while I thought the soap was perfectly good, it did not live up to the expectations that had been set for it. (That's a problems with lots of soaps discussed here.) I've tried it a few more times, but ultimately I chalked my experience up to YMMV. I'd like to try the V2 and Olivia to see if they'll change my mind.

That's great I've been interested to smell several of his scents.

Yeah, Cold River I don't believe offers samples so it's one that's difficult to try before you buy a whole tin.

Their Bergamot & Bay scent is outstanding as are their Jardin d'Orange and Pure Fresco scents. Clean fresh really likable scents.

I don't know which ones Larry is going to send though so we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, Cold River I don't believe offers samples so it's one that's difficult to try before you buy a whole tin.

Their Bergamot & Bay scent is outstanding as are their Jardin d'Orange and Pure Fresco scents. Clean fresh really likable scents.

I don't know which ones Larry is going to send though so we'll have to wait and see.

I have a couple of his soaps already and really like them. Scent is my only hang up. Olivia and select v2 are fantastic soaps provided you get a scent you like.

The signups will be in the next couple days. I just have to post the rules first.

So if you're following along I'll post a list of numbers 1 thru say 25 or so and you'll put your name by a number you want and repost the list. Care must be taken to not accidentally remove someone else when you repost so please double check the list and make sure your copy didn't overwrite someone else. It helps a lot if you go back and look at a couple posts before your own and after your own to check.

Nice, CRSW are excellent soaps plus super nice people!

So many soaps in this thing that I want to try, what is the minimum post count to be eligible?

Minimum post count will be between 100 and 150. I haven't decided yet as 150 makes me more comfortable. Just plan on 150. I'll let you sign up but you have to hit the number when your turn comes up and be active on the forum. If you're not active then you get skipped even if you have the post count. If you don't meet the post count you get skipped or are moved down.

It's not hard to meet the post count with the "what (soap, blade, razor, etc) did you use today" style threads and all of the activity on this forum. To be active all you have to do is hang out and read some threads. If you get involved this place is a lot more fun.

The signups will be in the next couple days. I just have to post the rules first.

So if you're following along I'll post a list of numbers 1 thru say 25 or so and you'll put your name by a number you want and repost the list. Care must be taken to not accidentally remove someone else when you repost so please double check the list and make sure your copy didn't overwrite someone else. It helps a lot if you go back and look at a couple posts before your own and after your own to check.

Just curious, if we do say 25 people on the list, would it be better to just sign up then pm with at least a state? Then number the entrants by a shipping order. It may help things run smoother to go in a line or a circle instead of something like Pennsylvania to California then back to New York.

This is my first go around with one of these, so I am just respectfully wondering.

Just curious, if we do say 25 people on the list, would it be better to just sign up then pm with at least a state? Then number the entrants by a shipping order. It may help things run smoother to go in a line or a circle instead of something like Pennsylvania to California then back to New York.

This is my first go around with one of these, so I am just respectfully wondering.

Ok, I appreciate the idea and I don't want to sound dismissive but this is not the first time I've heard this question so I've thought it through pretty extensively and there are some negatives to doing it this way.

The fairest way to do it is to let each of you pick your spot. I'm all about fair as it keeps the peace. Why should the next to last guy to sign up get to go first when someone else has been watching this thread for weeks. I don't get accused of favortism this way as I didn't pick your spot you did.

If you've got a buddy that lives down the street and he's a member here and meets the requirements then I'm not opposed to you guys picking spots right next to one another and doing a hand off, driving 20 minutes and splitting shipping or whatever you want to do but I'm not going to oversee it or try to set it up for you. Two guys did this last round as it just happened to work out that way that they lived 20 minutes away.

As far as why you pick the spot you pick maybe you have a family vacation or need to travel for work. Maybe someone doesn't meet the requirements when they are scheduled for. People tend to stick to the spots they've chosen for themselves while if I assigned them I'm sure some spots wouldn't work for some people and we'd have to change it multiple times. I've done this both ways and people have no problem wanting to change a spot they didn't pick.

People don't always put their location in their profile anyway or they'll put something like "halfway to the nuthouse" of whatever else. I don't want to hunt down and organize that mess. This takes too much time already and keeping it simple minimizes that.

I guess what it really comes down to is that I don't want to do it. Anyway, what's the point when we're using flat rate boxes that get from one person to the next usually in two to sometimes three days. It's just not worth all of the work it would take to set it up logistically to shave off a few days. I'd consider it if the shipping times were longer or if I was driving it to each location myself but it's usually two days and sometimes three between people.

Plus the major delays for the most part aren't due to the postal service. We're more likely to see delays as someone got caught up with work while their family is sick and they just didn't make it to the post office to get it mailed. We've encountered relatives and pets passing as well as other unfortunate events that have lead to delays as well. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

So basically the way it is, it's fair, it's a hell of a lot less work for me, and the time between people isn't all that long at two to three days.

Ok, I appreciate the idea and I don't want to sound dismissive but this is not the first time I've heard this question so I've thought it through pretty extensively and there are some negatives to doing it this way.

The fairest way to do it is to let each of you pick your spot. I'm all about fair as it keeps the peace. Why should the next to last guy to sign up get to go first when someone else has been watching this thread for weeks. I don't get accused of favortism this way as I didn't pick your spot you did.

If you've got a buddy that lives down the street and he's a member here and meets the requirements then I'm not opposed to you guys picking spots right next to one another and doing a hand off, driving 20 minutes and splitting shipping or whatever you want to do but I'm not going to oversee it or try to set it up for you. Two guys did this last round as it just happened to work out that way that they lived 20 minutes away.

As far as why you pick the spot you pick maybe you have a family vacation or need to travel for work. Maybe someone doesn't meet the requirements when they are scheduled for. People tend to stick to the spots they've chosen for themselves while if I assigned them I'm sure some spots wouldn't work for some people and we'd have to change it multiple times. I've done this both ways and people have no problem wanting to change a spot they didn't pick.

People don't always put their location in their profile anyway or they'll put something like "halfway to the nuthouse" of whatever else. I don't want to hunt down and organize that mess. This takes too much time already and keeping it simple minimizes that.

I guess what it really comes down to is that I don't want to do it. Anyway, what's the point when we're using flat rate boxes that get from one person to the next usually in two to sometimes three days. It's just not worth all of the work it would take to set it up logistically to shave off a few days. I'd consider it if the shipping times were longer or if I was driving it to each location myself but it's usually two days and sometimes three between people.

Plus the major delays for the most part aren't due to the postal service. We're more likely to see delays as someone got caught up with work while their family is sick and they just didn't make it to the post office to get it mailed. We've encountered relatives and pets passing as well as other unfortunate events that have lead to delays as well. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

So basically the way it is, it's fair, it's a hell of a lot less work for me, and the time between people isn't all that long at two to three days.

Not taken as dismissive at all. As I said this is my first go-around in a pass around, so I was just wondering. Everything you said makes perfect sense to me. :thumbup:

Top Bottom