What's new

Soap recommendations?

After everything I've tried so far my best performing and feeling soap is Pre de Provence. However, I think I'm allergic to the smell as it makes me feel slightly nauseated. Can anyone recommend another hard shaving soap that performs similarly? every other soap I've tried is more of a croap and it seems like there aren't that many hard soaps out there in shaver-dom (that I know of).

Maybe take a look at some of the sticks out there. They are generally well priced. Personally I like La Toja, I find the scent to be quite subtle.

I like La Toja as well. Classic powdery barbershop scent. Cade L'Occitane is another excellent hard soap with a subtle scent. To my nose it has a hint of sandalwood, but it is a very faint scent.

There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
― W.C. Fields

They're kind of cheap, but I like colonel conks, vdh, etc.
there's also soapy bathman, phoenix artisan accoutrement (not croap, but not hard either) Kells original.
you can also grate Palmolive shave stick or speak into a bowl if you're not into using them as a stick...
there are many out there. With the glycerin based soaps, you can also double boil them and out in another container (melt and pour). I like to take vdh deluxe or luxury or deluxe (walgreens, kroger, etc) and melt them down and either mix them or add some extra glycerine or add a bit of AS to create my own scent to go along with the AS.
There's lots of possibilities.

Hard soaps? There are plenty of "classics" which perform very well.

Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat, DR Harris, Czech & Speake...

After everything I've tried so far my best performing and feeling soap is Pre de Provence. However, I think I'm allergic to the smell as it makes me feel slightly nauseated. Can anyone recommend another hard shaving soap that performs similarly? every other soap I've tried is more of a croap and it seems like there aren't that many hard soaps out there in shaver-dom (that I know of).

Kels, It is weird you say you maybe allergic to the smell. Have you ever tried other soaps that have lanolin in them. I have a reaction to lanolin, but the weird part is whenever I smell a soap with lanolin in it, it makes me nauseated even if I do not know it has lanolin in it.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Budget issues? Speick stick, Dr. Jon's, Maggard's
No budget issues? Santa Maria Novella, Barrister & Mann, LA Shaving, Wickham, Strop Shoppe

For some hard soaps I have been using Geo F. Trumper and Dr. Harris. The nice thing about hard soaps is they last a very long time. I have been using my GFT violet for about four weeks, and have not put a dent in it.

The GFT seems to give some people a hard time to lather, but it works for me.

Put some water on the puck while your brush soaks, shake out the boar (or squeeze the badger) and load up. I start the lather in a bowl, and finish face-lathering.

Pre De Provence is quad milled, which makes it one of the hardest soaps out there. Start by trying Pre De Provence 63, which is a similar soap with a different fragrance. Lately it has been difficult to find in stock - hopefully that will change soon.

Valobra (hard puck), L'Occitane Cade, Michell's Wool Fat, Tabac, and Arko are other soaps worth considering, although if you don't like the scent of Pre De Provence I'm not sure how you'll feel about Tabac and Arko.

--Bob

Top Bottom