What's new

Soap Recommendations

P

PortsmouthDavid

In reading a number of threads on shaving soaps, I've narrowed my next choice down to Tabac or DR Harris.

Any opinions on which I should go with, and if it's DR Harris I'd appreciate advice on which scent to go with.

Thanks!

David

David:

I prefer the D R Harris and it is one of my absolute favorites. Makes a wonderful lather, on par with some of my creams!

As far as scents, I have the Arlington and almond. I would probably give a slight edge to the Arlington. It's a very light, clean smell.

Since you've already narrowed it down to those two, I won't muddy the water with other suggestions but you can't go wrong the the Harris.

You can't go wrong with either of your choices. I have both but reach for Tabac more often. They are both excellent but I prefer the scent of Tabac.

P

PortsmouthDavid

DoubleE said:
David:

. . . Since you've already narrowed it down to those two, I won't muddy the water with other suggestions but you can't go wrong the the Harris.

Feel free to add additional suggestions. It's just such a vast field that I was trying to narrow it down to a couple that had received pretty wide and deep approval. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

David

David:

I would go ahead and get the Harris to start with but other considerations are:

L'Occitane cade soap - very nice and slick - good looking metal bowl
C&E soaps - can be bought locally and are still quality soaps
Trumper's - hard to go wrong with Trumpers

P

PortsmouthDavid

So now I see why I needed to narrow it down!! But great suggestions all.

David

Harris and Tabac will produce lather (and accompaying shaves) like no other. Keep in mind the Tabac scent is very intense, so if you don't care for it, the Harris might be better as those scents are unlikely to offend anyone.

The T&H soap would be my next choice, but the L'Occitane is wonderful as well. If you are new to soaps, I would suggest waiting until trying out some of Charles' wonderful products, since they can be a bit trickier to lather. When done correctly, however, the QED gives a closer shave than anything else on the planet.

Hope this helps.

BTW, if you want to try one of Sue's soaps, I have one I can give you cheaply - PM me if interested. However, IMO they are nowhere near the level of the ones I have mentioned above.

If you really feel like indulging yourself, buy a crayon box of Geo. F. Trumpers, one of each fragrance and live it up! To have a change of pace, buy the L'Occitane CADE, splurge and get the nickel bowl (≈$30). Ah the delicious choices.. Hmm, definitely C&E Sandalwood too (Gives you the opportunity to become a dilletante and compare the virtues of the GFT sandalwood olio versus C&E single notes), QED Pine and Cedarwood (To die for!)..
That'll get you started with a small, but respectable rotation.:blushing: Ooops, get a QED Sandalwood too!

If you like Sandalwood, QED is definitely the way to go. Whenever I shave with it I can smell the Sandalwood for hours after.

P

PortsmouthDavid

Thanks one and all . . . very useful input. Based on the above, I am going to try the D.R. Harris Arlington, presently on order. I have mostly been using English creams, but I'd like to mix it up a bit, and I wanted a real "top drawer" shaving soap suggestion for a starting point. You're all most helpful.

David

Top Bottom