What's new

Soap recommendations for oily skin

The best thing I ever did for my oily face was stop using “face washes” and started using bar soap instead(mostly Stirling soaps now)

Also I use aftershaves with alcohol and it really helps to control the excess oil. Fine aftershaves leave me clean and dry the longest from all the ones I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cella brick is somewhere between. It is somehow just perfect for me and gives me always hassle free fine shaves. But as for different soap recommendations go, as I were you I definitely would check out Martin De Candre Nature first.

That is the most pure and simple formula yet excellent performer and pure joy to use in any way.

This is going to sound insane, but find a product with peppermint essential oil. WSP makes a seasonal peppermint soap that may be what you are looking for, but any peppermint soap/cream will do.

Diet, stress levels, water intake, hormone and vitamin levels all contribute, so make sure to get that squared away first.

The best thing I ever did for my oily face was stop using “face washes” and started using bar soap instead(mostly Stirling soaps now)

Also I use aftershaves with alcohol and it really helps to control the excess oil. Fine aftershaves leave me clean and dry the longest from all the ones I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fine aftershaves are excellent for oily skin. The alcohol dries down to a nice and tight, toned face feel that isn't greasy or anything like that. They're my go-to in summer, as I do need a little more moisture in the wintertime.

An update on my search - After many recommended it, I've ordered the Speick stick and should be getting it soon.

The most recommended one was in fact the Martin De Candre, but I want to see if I prefer soaps over creams before spending £43 on it.

With the lockdown coming to an end in England, I'm finally free to go see the holy grail of 'TOBS' at Jermyn St in London this weekend. Looking forward to it, maybe I'll pick up something there :pipe:

This has been an extremely informative thread even though older ones do exist. Thank you all for your suggestions and plz keep them coming!

An update on my search - After many recommended it, I've ordered the Speick stick and should be getting it soon.

The most recommended one was in fact the Martin De Candre, but I want to see if I prefer soaps over creams before spending £43 on it.

With the lockdown coming to an end in England, I'm finally free to go see the holy grail of 'TOBS' at Jermyn St in London this weekend. Looking forward to it, maybe I'll pick up something there :pipe:

This has been an extremely informative thread even though older ones do exist. Thank you all for your suggestions and plz keep them coming!
TOBS Jermyn Street has a pleasant fragrance and is very kind to your skin. It’s not as good on your skin as The Fat, but it’s easier to lather.

The shaving soap (or a cleanser for that matter) does not have an effect on oily skin or acne, as long as you don't overdue it (too much cleansing is contratictory). It is important that you wash soaps of completely (so, no post-shave feel of a soap please). The most important aspect is to moisturize correctly. So, you better avoid alcohol, aftershave splashes and balms and moisturizing creams. For oily skin with acne a moisturizing liquid face cleanser is all you need.

So, my recommendation is to shave before a shower. Just wet the face, put on the lather, shave, have a shower, don't put more soap or shower gel on the shaves area, pat dry, use a moisturizing liquid face cleanser and be done with it. Of course, talk that through with your dermatologist, because acne has to be treated.

I would be careful attempting to "dry out" your skin. I tend to have oily skin, but I've found that using drying soaps exacerbate my issues with oily skin and rosacea/acne in my 50's. I'm learning about my skin that the oil(sebum) is coming from my body trying to moisturize more dry skin.

I've started to look at possible ingredients that are comedogenic or pore clogging. I do have look at and understand the chemistry of the ingredients in soaps and creams as well.

Please understand that I don't presume to know anyone else's body and skin biology. I'm only sharing my experience. Each to his own, YMMV, and all of that.

I would be careful attempting to "dry out" your skin. I tend to have oily skin, but I've found that using drying soaps exacerbate my issues with oily skin and rosacea/acne in my 50's. I'm learning about my skin that the oil(sebum) is coming from my body trying to moisturize more dry skin.

I've started to look at possible ingredients that are comedogenic or pore clogging. I do have look at and understand the chemistry of the ingredients in soaps and creams as well.

Please understand that I don't presume to know anyone else's body and skin biology. I'm only sharing my experience. Each to his own, YMMV, and all of that.

Thank you for saying this, I’m in agreement 100% as I’ve experienced the exact same thing.

I use an antibacterial face wash first to clear away the oil and dirt before shaving.

So, my recommendation is to shave before a shower. Just wet the face, put on the lather, shave, have a shower, don't put more soap or shower gel on the shaves area, pat dry

Oily skin person here, prone to breakouts and irritation. Can definitely recommend ditching the face wash. In my experience, they only make the skin produce more oil to compensate for what's been removed. Nowadays I just wash my face with warm water. Likewise, shaving before showering has been really useful for me as it ensures any shave residue is removed.

I think shaving soaps are generally better for the skin than creams because soaps contain less problematic ingredients. With creams I tend to find there's always some additional ingredient that's supposedly good for skin but ends up causing irritation. Speick cream is probably the most basic shaving cream one can find based on the ingredients list. I'd imagine their stick is also fine.

After showering, I apply an alcohol-based aftershave. Most of them have some skin conditioning ingredients which provide enough care for those of us with oily skin without overdoing it (propylene glycol works well for me and is in Old Spice aftershave lotion).

Keep things simple: shave, shower, aftershave.

In the evening I apply a topical gel to help keep the skin clear and follow it up with Superdrug Simply Pure Hydrating Serum. This is a very thin moisturising lotion that provides the shot of moisture my skin needs after the medicated gel. Anything thicker and my skin will be clogged and greasy for 24 hours.

Following a simple routine and paying close attention to ingredient lists (with the help of websites like Skincarisma and CosDNA) has helped keep my skin under control.

I have somewhat oily skin and most soaps I don't have any problem with but then my skin isn't excessively oily like the way your sounds like it is. I would probably stay away from MWF. I tried MdC and did not care for the performance but if I remember it did leave my face feeling dry. Kind of expensive though. If you prefer creams and you find that you like Speick they have that in a cream. Another one I didn't care for but remember it doesn't leave any moisturizing properties behind. I would stay away from tallow based soaps and soaps with shea butter.

Top Bottom